Best multi tool??

The suspension is one of the highest recommended budget multitools to my knowledge but it certainly not the best. I noticed it gets a springy when you really have to grab onto a nut or something but otherwise it's a nice complement of tools for a very affordable price. As I mentioned in the PM, the lock is a bit funky but I would take the lock over the slipjoint of SAKs when it comes to regular use, especially for screwdrivers that have a tendency to fold back on you if you really need to press into something.

It's a $30 MT so it's huge in the value department, IMO, but it's not as well built as a leatherman costing double.

I’ve had the SwissTool Spirit X for many many years and although I think the selection of tools is almost perfection, there’s couple of gripes for me.

Handle - even though ergonomic - is way too slick. The fancy polished finish and curved handle make it painfully slippery when really twisting on something. Grease or sweat really doesn’t help. Victorinox should put some kind of matte finish on it or add some texture to the edges of the tool.

Over the years the tools have become painfully stiff to open. I think it has something to do with the lock bar - maybe it has moved back or shaped a bit but the retention on tools like scissors is almost nail breaker. Forget about using it if your fingernails are wet.

The blade flexes back a LOT when you are cutting things hard. I’ve googled and analyzed it myself and it’s the non-symmetric lockbar that flexes but it probably doesn’t mean anything... but it doesn’t feel very good or safe.

Also the scissors are kind of win/lose depending what you do. If you cut zip ties and stuff like that it’s good but anything finer they are kind of clunky.

All in all I think it’s good tool still but just too old fashioned for plier based multitool.

Discounting weight and size makes my two choices pretty easy: Leatherman Charge Plus or SAK Cybertool S. :) I picked these two because they walk similar paths in different form factors. Gun to my head, I'd grab the Charge Plus; its belt sheath includes a bit kit and shank extension, which makes it a toolbox in a convenient size.

The screwdriver is my most-used tool on any multitool, followed by pliers, bottle opener, knife, and then all of the "occasional use" tools (saw, awl, file, etc.). I chose both of these because they offer awesome screwdriver options. I like this size of Cybertool because it's so pocketable. The Charge Plus has a great bit driver and the handles are very comfortable when using the pliers.

I went with the Charge Plus over the Charge Plus TTi because I like the texture of the aluminum and don't need the S30V knife blade (and associated cost increase) because I always carry a knife. :)

GJF1ZbZ.jpg

kZKPVEx.jpg

Another vote for the Swisstool here, in my case the Spirit X in black oxide. It's been my daily companion for many years and has served me well. Plus it has a cool factor that's hard to beat IMO.

boACPDQ.jpg

I have been a multi tool buyer for awhile. I recently watched so many videos on the swisstool spirit X and original swisstool that I decided to buy the spirit X. I have to say that I love every aspect of it except the pliers. They do not open as wide as the leatherman wave and the handle when fully open with the pliers are quite uncomfortable in my opinion and I have large hands. I bought all the accessories of the Spirit X and have to say minus the pliers it is pretty well made. I currently carry a second gen Wave with a pocket clip and it fills all my EDC needs. I could not get a faucet ring off with the Spirit X and had to get the Wave. My Spirit X was a real disappointment in the pliers dept and if I had known that I would not have purchased it. I wish more youtube and forum members would speak up to this issue. The pliers on the original swisstool don't even compete with the opening of the Leatherman wave. I think otherwise the Spirit X is superb. The problem with multi tools is they all have one or two features the owner never uses. I wish Leatherman made their plier heads thinner and more pointed like the original Wave and Supertool 200.

Thats my two cents.

I wish Leatherman made their plier heads thinner and more pointed like the original Wave and Supertool 200.
Pointy pliers, that's my reason for preferring the original Surge, that and the eyeglass screwdriver which is missing on the newer model. Fortunately there are plenty of reasonably priced second version Waves and early Surges available on that big online auction site to keep us in pointy pliers for a long time. T-A
JPEG_20200802_181308_82679304373676680.jpg
Wave, Vic, Surge

Back