Best of the smalls

Im looking for a smaller spyderco. Ive narrowed it down to the dragonfly2 .The chaparral lw and the lil native . I dont want to go smaller than the dragonfly2 but stay smaller than the para 3 .
I know many must own these models and was interested on their experiences of actual use

You can't go wrong with a DF2, it's the little knife that acts much bigger than it is.

I carry my DF salt in my swim trunks all summer at the lake, beach, pool, and creek. It's probably one of my favorite Spydercos I own.

Untitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

The Dragonfly is too small in my hand. The Meerkat is a little bigger in all dimensions when closed and a little shorter when opened. I prefer the Meerkat, and they are available currently in V-Toku2. Additionally, the Chaparral is my favorite small Spyderco.

The little bit of extra size you get with the chaparral adds alot of function over the dragonfly in my opinion

Have you considered the Rhino? Same XHP steel as the chapparal I really like mine alot

Hard to beat the Chap LW. Most, including myself find it more comfortable in hand than the DF2 and the blade geometry makes it a great slicer. If you want something small and stout the lil native is extremely solid but a bit on the over built for most EDC tasks IMHO.

Here are a couple of pics that might help you decide...

iAOuATa.jpg

The DF2 has a swedge so look at the jimping to compare blade stock thickness.
YytYd2T.jpg

+1 for Chap LW. Easy carry and better in hand for me than the Dragonfly.

+1 for the Dragonfly, I also carry a ZDP189 manbug loose in my pocket

Chaparral for me. Tried to like the D-Fly, but it doesn't fit my hands well. Might pick up a Lil Native at some point.

The Urban is also excellent if you're willing to try a slippie.

I've only held the Dragonfly 2, I can say it's a great little lightweight knife that is perfect for any casual use. However, I wouldn't recommend any extended work with it. It's just not that comfortable for prolonged use. The Chaparral comes up a lot as an alternative to the Delica, I would suggest that for more capable tasks, but anything else the Dragonfly will more than suffice.

The little Bugs don't seem to get much love. So here's a Grasshopper, with Chaparral, Positron and Ambitious. Would have added the DF2, but the wife stole it for work. I often recommend the Chaparral to people that want a sweet looking small, but solid knife. Love that thing. It does dress-up and dress-down equally well.

9RgqVHf.jpg

I love my Lil Native, but you should check the Rhino too!

I feel like the Rhino is on the chopping block for discontinuation, whereas the Lil Native is going to see years of different blade steels/sprint runs.

I can only contribute photos. I don't own a Chaparral though I have looked at it about a million times. I love the thin blade. The handle looks too tall and slab sided to please me (I think, I've been wrong before).
You might like a UKPK. Can even get it in the "magical" S110V. Nice color of blue in the handle to :thumbsup:
Excellent texture on the scales; the clip hits on a spyder logo which is smooth so it is easy on the pockets. I really love my UKPK.
IMG_4516.jpg

Next to a Mini Griptillian
IMG_5637.jpg

I know what you said but the Ladybug is a stellar extra small knife you might want to flirt with once you get the one you want for now.
Nice companion to a Para2 if you ever go there.
IMG_5159.jpg

The handle of the Dragon may be too small for some but it is way more of a hand full than say a medium stockman shown there.
IMG_3247_2.jpg

My favorite photo of my Little Dragon. I think it is a work of art. The design is exceptional. The Chaparral in comparison is just ho hum.
IMG_3521.JPG

Here is something out in left field . . . how about a Cricket ? Here it is with a Manix.
IMG_3632.jpg

You might even look at the Delica if you haven't, is the Para3 handle smaller or larger than the Delica ?

you know that common thing a backlock exhibits, when you push on the material to be cut and feel the lockbar move a bit
well, not with the chaparral. It's got a little internal pin to prevent doing that and it's a beautiful thing, feels solid.

not with the chaparral. It's got a little internal pin to prevent doing that and it's a beautiful thing, feels solid.
And I see a Chap LW just went up for sale in The Exchange while we've been talking . . .

Lots of good options.
I agree the dragonfly is a big little knife
Although I do use the SE version
I lke the look of the new wave version.

You can't go wrong with a DF2, it's the little knife that acts much bigger than it is.

I carry my DF salt in my swim trunks all summer at the lake, beach, pool, and creek. It's probably one of my favorite Spydercos I own.

Untitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr
Oh please remember to close it before putting it in your trunks :eek::D

Back