Best oil for g10 scales

What's the best oil for coating g10 scales after shaping scales? Will teak oil work, tung oil or tru-oil? Some one said linseed oil! Thanks

Do people usually put oil on the scales when there done shaping the knife or just leave it

I have never applied oil to G10 scales. G10 is non-porous and inert so it doesn't need oil for preservation.

If you want a gloss finish then hand sand to very fine grit (greater than 800) then make a final pass on a buffer.

Here's an example of black G10 finished in this manner.

IMG_6831_650.jpg

I remembered seeing this on alpha knife supplies website, thought it might be helpful. Personally never used this method, and I've only used g10 on 3 knives. I just sanded to 1200 grit and polished it out a bit with a cotton cloth. Seemed to leave a nice finish that wasn't too glossy.

Justin

"Finishing Tips:
When you sand composites the layers look similar to wood grain. When you are finished sanding the handle may look chalky or dull. If you want the orginal color:
1) Wash the handle thoroughly with Dawn dish soap
2) Spray the handle with WD-40
3) Wash the handle with Dawn again

To make the handle more "grippy" sandblast the finished handle with course aluminum oxide or silicon carbide abrasive. Use the washing tip to restore the color."

The best oil for G10 is none. Buff it.

the machine shop where I work did 4 types of G-10 handles for a large folder maker.
all the handles were sprayed with wd-40 when finished per their spec
note on their dwg was - soak with wd-40 and wipe dry for consistent color finish

Last edited:
the machine shop where I work did 4 types of G-10 handles for a large folder maker.
all the handles were sprayed with wd-40 when finished per their spec
note on their dwg was - soak with wd-40 and wipe dry for consistent color finish

And the moment they're cleaned (or it just soaks out into a sheath/shirt etc) it looks chalky. And WD40 actually gets sticky.

You can do it, people do, but it's a shortcut. Buffing takes a couple minutes, but it's polishing the actual material so it doesn't wash off.

Edit to add: our shop runs scales production too :D

And the moment they're cleaned (or it just soaks out into a sheath/shirt etc) it looks chalky. And WD40 actually gets sticky.

I don't know, we didn't experience that at all. The wd-40 dried just fine

I should clarify that this g10 was textured formed with a pattern so buffing may not have been appropriate for them. Buffing would have smoothed the pattern and ruined the look.

I don't want to come across as argumentative but this maker sells 1000 knives per month, all g10 scales. If what you said was the case for them, their customer service calls would overwhelm them I think.

Perhaps buffing is the best way. I was just offering my experience and that of a production maker and answering the OP.

The OP should try the various suggestions and see what works best for him.

Regards

Last edited:
I don't know, we didn't experience that at all. The wd-40 dried just fine

I should clarify that this g10 was textured formed with a pattern so buffing may not have been appropriate for them. Buffing would have smoothed the pattern and ruined the look.

I don't want to come across as argumentative but this maker sells 1000 knives per month, all g10 scales. If what you said was the case for them, their customer service calls would overwhelm them I think.

Perhaps buffing is the best way. I was just offering my experience and that of a production maker and answering the OP.

The OP should try the various suggestions and see what works best for him.

Regards

:thumbup:

I think I was being argumentative, my bad.

Back