Best overall Spyderco Bargain?

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
Gents, I'd have to say the Sage I & II. I loved the Sage I so much I bought a spare but my first one won't die.
Sage II for those fancier times when you can beat Titanium.
Sage III, IV and V, don't need them with the I & II. I never leave the house without one in my pocket.
Just my 2 cents mind you.
Thank you, Sal.

Short answer: The Spyderco that you want -- purchased on the pre-owned market, provided it is in excellent condition. And, it always gets down to personal choice/use/budget/etc. I picked up a Dragonfly2 ZDP-189 and Delica4 M390 on the pre-owned market in the last year and to me they represent real value based on my purchase price. If I had to pick a new Spyderco folder then I would pick the latest run of the Chaparral FRN CTS-XHP (which I did and it was a great choice for my needs). On balance I would say that if you know what Spyderco you want and can find a good one on the pre-owned market, then therein lies the "Bargain".

Last edited:
I say the caly 3.5. you can pick that up on secondary market cheap. under appreciated knife. new I would say the endura or yojimbo.

It's very subjective. It's only a good bargain if it works for you.

The Delica (although I carried one for years), Stretch and Para3 just don't fit my hand quite right but these are all great bargains if they work for you.

For me it is the Dragonfly2:
I2kFEWl.jpg

And the Manix 2 LW:
xfY55PR.jpg

Probably Manix 2. If you compare Manix 2 and PM2, with the same materials the former is usually $20-$30 cheaper in retail prices. To me, Delica and Endura are no longer bargains given their current prices.

I see the Manix is extremely popular. I carry a Sage I with me when I'm just bumming around or working outside in the garden or whatever. I like the way I can be holding something in my left hand, slip the Sage out with my right hand, open it up, cut whatever I'm holding, close the knife with the same hand and return it to my pocket. For me it's about a one-handed operation and who doesn't like carbon fiber.
I will say the carbon fiber has got pretty smooth over the years

I love the Manix design and have many of them. I love my DLT red 20v version. But G10 with liners is heavy and you don’t always need that level of steel... The Lightweight..while it is FRN and no liners and “only” BD-1 steel... I have a hard time arguing against the Manix Lightweight as the best deal for an EDC Spyderco. I almost always got with G10 when I’m wearing proper pants and belt... but in sports shorts or something with no belt, the Manix Lightweight gets the nod. You barely notice it but that full size Manix blade is right there. You can sometimes find them for under $100. I think I only paid $91 for mine... you just can’t beat that... and even made in the US!

Back