Best Placement of Belt Grinder and Disc Grinder on Bench

Thank you everybody for your input. Gives me some where to start. You can't know how much this old man appreciates ya'll taken time to reply. Thank you

That's the way mine is set up, two wheels that only contact the ground when you raise the front. I know makers that grind while sitting, so it can be done, but I like a height that puts a blade about mid platten when my upper arms are locked to my side with my forearms out at 90 degrees holding the blade.

NC Biker, do you have a pic of how you mounted your wheels ? I found a really nice pair in my shop that are rated for 750 lbs. but they are the swivel so I might have to weld them to stop them swiveling. Thanks for any help.

NC Biker, do you have a pic of how you mounted your wheels ? I found a really nice pair in my shop that are rated for 750 lbs. but they are the swivel so I might have to weld them to stop them swiveling. Thanks for any help.

Yeah, they're mounted to the rear legs of my stand using U-bolts and a axle,

wheel2.png

wheel.png

What kind of top do I want ? I want it stout. The frame is 3/16 wall tubing and I am gonna put some thick (3/8 - 1/2" ) flat feet with a threaded hole in the center. But do I want 2" x wood or something like a welding table steel top 1/2" thick ? Also if I thread a hole in the bottoms is there any reason to have a thick rubber pad on the feet ? I know I am asking lots of questions, but I have a little spare $ now and am trying to make it as enjoyable as I can afford. Thanks NC Biker for the pics.

I wanted my belt grinder to mounted as solid as possible and for the grinder base to be dead level for reference. the grinder base is bolted to 1 1/2" hard maple work bench top that is 6" wider and longer than grinder base. to the bottom of the work bench top is 1/2" buna rubber sheet. that rests on a piece of 1 1/4" granite countertop scrap. the counter top rests on oak 4x4's which rest on crate style bedside table. in addition, the grinder motor rests on 1/2" rubber sheet on top of another oak 4x4. so during operation, nothing moves or vibrates. in the shop I have an old office chair on wheels with adjustable height, the platen tool rest is about mid chest height when sitting with my feet on the floor. my drill press bench and assembly table are all the same height as the grinder, so if my legs are feeling tired, I can do almost everything with having to even stand.

My motor and grinder are all one not separate . I have a heavy frame so I think I am gonna mount to 2" thick wood top. I think it is heavy enough not to have vibration , but if it does I will figure that out. Its all heavy enough without me putting a 1/2" steel top. I made this table 2' x 3' and I think it will let me mount the belt grinder to one end and a disc grinder to the other end. Gonna try to move it like a wheel barrow. Might have to redo something.

Its coming together. Gotta put the top on it and wheels in their bracket, and handles. Didn't have to buy anything but the wood, scratched around the shop and found the rest.

Attachments

• Pedestal.jpeg
    Pedestal.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 12
Back