Best premium steel blad around $200

I know there was a recent thread on the subject of gentleman's knives... but (since I don't really consider any of the suggestions thus far to be fitting of that description) I'll just ask:
J Jeremy D Bittler
What do you consider a gentleman's knife?

Last edited:
So you want something in that size range?
For a gentleman's folder, I generally think smaller and lightweight (not saying the 940 isn't light)
Although I don't generally think of autos as gentleman's knives, I do carry my Protech Newport in the inside breast pocket when I'm wearing a suit or sport coat.
What are your thoughts about traditional knives? You don't find many with metal handles, but bone or wood are nice options

So you want something in that size range?
For a gentleman's folder, I generally think smaller and lightweight (not saying the 940 isn't light)
Although I don't generally think of autos as gentleman's knives, I do carry my Protech Newport in the inside breast pocket when I'm wearing a suit or sport coat.
What are your thoughts about traditional knives? You don't find many with metal handles, but bone or wood are nice options

I dislike slip joint knifes

A few options
EjVi1Ae.jpg

View attachment 1206549
Ignore the one - I'm recycling images

This isn't a gentleman's knife, especially in its current configuration (cerakoted handle and etched blade)... but it's a nice small, light titanium framelock that's available at a clearance price from dealers.
3RqSHDf.jpg

Please Id your knives
Pic 1 - Zieba MS3
Pic 2 - Protech Newport
Pic 3 - Spyderco Mantra 2 (I know you stated a dislike for Spyderco; but the small hole allows for an uncharacteristic low blade profile. The only other spyderco I really like is the Advocate, which I believe is also discontinued & available at clearance prices)

Your other thread suggested that you are looking for a work knife to be carried on conjunction with your leatherman...
Are you looking for an attractive work knife, or a gentleman's knife? While there's some crossover (depending on your work), most of us will have different recommendations for those descriptions.

WE Deacon, Ti sub framelock with CF, M390. $250.

ZT.

Maserin AM series.

Knifeworks exclusive 940-1501. Just under $200, and in 20CV steel. In my view, the best 940 ever.

knifework-9401501.3_1.jpg

Pic 1 - Zieba MS3
Pic 2 - Protech Newport
Pic 3 - Spyderco Mantra 2 (I know you stated a dislike for Spyderco; but the small hole allows for an uncharacteristic low blade profile. The only other spyderco I really like is the Advocate, which I believe is also discontinued & available at clearance prices)

Zieba isnt available

Can you go to a knife store that has a decent selection? It would really help if you handled some knives and figured out what works for you, because there are so many options and what looks cool, or what others like, may not be the best choice for you once in hand.

Can you go to a knife store that has a decent selection? It would really help if you handled some knives and figured out what works for you, because there are so many options and what looks cool, or what others like, may not be the best choice for you once in hand.

Around here we only have one in fredrick md

Back