Best Sandpaper for Steel

I am just getting started and my tool selection is limited. I am currently using files in a jig to "grind" my bevels and although it is slow its not as slow as i thought it would be. My biggest headache is removing file marks from the bevel and getting a nice finish on the blade.

What is the best sandpaper for this? Whatever the stuff is that i have lasts about two swipes on steel before it doesn't seem to cut at all.

any advice? thanks, Dan

There are several good papers out there. A lot of people really like the Indasa Rhynowet Red-Line papers. I have yet to try them but I do use Rhynowet Plus and it is also very good. I also use Klingspor wet/dry papers that come on a roll from Cue Components. I've been very happy with the Klingspor and the rolls are really convenient for knifemaking.

Bob

I use rhynowet. You probably should finish filing with the finest file you have before you switch to paper. You can get the paper from Trugrit. I use Windex to water sand. Check out Nick Wheeler's hand sanding videos on YouTube. Make a hard backer for your paper and a holding fixture for the blade. Good luck!

Ive only been making knives for a year but I have used a few different papers that I picked up at the local ACE and Lowes. A month or so ago I broke down and bought 20 sheets of each of the grits I use of Indasa Red-Line Rhynowet from Trugrit and hands down its better than the stuff you get at the local hardware. Im not sure how it stands up against 3M or Norton sheets but I feel even with the price increase Rhynowet is well worth the increased cost due to the fact I end up using less of it. It cuts much better and lasts longer. I could feel the difference. Make sure you use Windex or WD40 or something while sanding.

Jay

EDM stones are often much better than paper as they are cheap, last a long time and more pressure can be used. I use paper only for the final few grits.

have used a few.. Norton seems to be my favorite and it's easy to get from Lee Valley tools. very consistent grit and takes the scratches out quickly with windex.

Another vote for Rhynowet. Tracy carries it at USAknifemaker.com but I typically get mine from supergrit.com. I use a BUNCH of 400, and some 600/800/1200 also. Just recently bought some 120 and 220 for use on my disk grinder as well.

The RED AO Rhynowet is much better than their black SC paper. If you want the black stuff, go with Norton Black Ice. I will also cast another vote for EDM stones.

The RED AO Rhynowet is much better than their black SC paper. If you want the black stuff, go with Norton Black Ice. I will also cast another vote for EDM stones.

The Rhynowet Plus-Line papers, though black, are A/O at lower grits and work very well. At P500 they switch to S/C. I have no experience with the finer grits; I use P60, P180 and P400, then switch to the klingspor rolls for finer grit progression. I think I will order some Red-Line papers from Tru-Grit and compare. I don't want to be missing out on anything.

Bob

Hope this is still on topic, but is Rhynowet Redline the best and what most use for disc sanders (9")?

Well, then I will just say that the Norton Black Ice is better than the black Rhynowet, but the red Rhynowet kicks butt and both are better than the black Klingspor!!!! :D But seriously, there is a different with the black Norton and Klingspor on when go go above 800-1000. Do hey not switch over to SC until that tpont?
The Rhynowet Plus-Line papers, though black, are A/O at lower grits and work very well. At P500 they switch to S/C. I have no experience with the finer grits; I use P60, P180 and P400, then switch to the klingspor rolls for finer grit progression. I think I will order some Red-Line papers from Tru-Grit and compare. I don't want to be missing out on anything.

Bob

Well, then I will just say that the Norton Black Ice is better than the black Rhynowet, but the red Rhynowet kicks butt and both are better than the black Klingspor!!!! :D But seriously, there is a different with the black Norton and Klingspor on when go go above 800-1000. Do hey not switch over to SC until that tpont?

I just ordered four 50-packs of Red-Line (180, 320, 500, 800) from Supergrit. I guess Tru-Grit is not stocking it anymore...or maybe they never did and I imagined it. The Supergrit website said that the Red-Line paper is A/O except for 1500, 2000, and 2500 which are S/C. I've not used the Black Ice at all and I honestly don't know what the klingspor I use is.

Bob

I had the chance to try some Norton in Black Ice and some other of their brands. Even for free I stopped using it and went back to the Rynowet
Frank

I get mine from Boride Abrasives, but other folks have also highly recommend Geswein. I say buy from whoever has the best price on what you want. I currently have the rather friable 1 x 1/4 320 and 400 grit sticks. What I do is get all of the scratches out going lengthwise and then switch to sandpaper. the sones leave a hazy finish but a few long swipes with 400 grit paper will brighten that up and you will be abel to see when the scratches from the grinder are gone.
where do you guys get those stones from?

I just ordered four 50-packs of Red-Line (180, 320, 500, 800) from Supergrit. I guess Tru-Grit is not stocking it anymore...or maybe they never did and I imagined it. The Supergrit website said that the Red-Line paper is A/O except for 1500, 2000, and 2500 which are S/C. I've not used the Black Ice at all and I honestly don't know what the klingspor I use is.

Bob

Maybe its Super Grit is where I got mine from also. Heck I cant keep the two companies apart. One I order my belts from and the other I order my paper and shop rolls from. I never know which is which until I go to order and relize Im on the wrong site. Duh.........

Jay

Back