Best scissors?

marchone

Gold Member
I have an original Leatherman Wave that's been a constant companion to me since it was new. It has helped me out on more occasions than I can remember. The one tool on it that's terrible is the scissors. My SAK ones are better.

Which multi-tool today has a great pair of scissors or mini-shears?

Last edited:
On leatherman, original juice.
Victorinox swisstool has great scissors on a full size multitool.

Nothing really compares to Victorinox scissors, so probably one of their multitool models.

The leatherman micra scissors are pretty good though, then again my micra is from the 1st year and things could have changed since '96.

Nothing really compares to Victorinox scissors, so probably one of their multitool models.

The leatherman micra scissors are pretty good though, then again my micra is from the 1st year and things could have changed since '96.

This!

Victorinox scissors would be at home in an E.R. Or O.R.

My wife was trimming some stray hairs in my ear, and she accidentally snipped that little divot thing that sticks out in the middle of the ear. Darn thing bled for almost 20 minutes. Very clean surgical incision!

I have an original Leatherman Wave that's been a constant companion to me since it was new. It has helped me out on more occasions than I can remember. The one tool on it that's terrible is the scissors. My SAK ones are better.

Which multi-tool today has a great pair of scissors or mini-shears?

I have 2 versions of the Leatherman Wave. The first one has a pair of scissors larger than the SAK which have a little tab that rotates out as one handle to open the scissor. The other one has a pair which is more like the SAK scissor, but it smaller sized. Prefer the larger version (original I think) myself. The large one is equivalent in size to the Wingman scissors.

Thanks guys. Vic Spirit if 655t6653ee3ddx2 is.

Just for a different perspective, I absolutely hated the scissors on both my Spirits for what that's worth. It's actually a significant share of the reason I quit EDCing one. I liked the scissors on my Wave and Surge far more than the Spirit, but probably the best I've tried so far is the full size Swisstool. It has the same type of scissors as an SAK. The ones on the Spirit are a different design that, IMO, made almost everything functionally worse than the original Vic design. At least for my uses. YMMV.

For me, the default answer to this question is Victorinox. I don't have a Vic Spirit or a Leatherman Surge, but I have yet to find any multitool scissors that are more precise and effective than the standard Victorinox scissors on 91mm SAKs and the Swisstool. I just checked, and the SAK 91mm scissors are almost exactly the same size as the scissors on the Leatherman Micra and Style CS, but those scissors can't be opened wide enough to fully sharpen them, whereas the SAK scissors can.

After Victorinox, I have to say that my absolute favorite multitool scissors are those on the original (pre-2004) Leatherman Wave. I didn't get one until after owing a new Wave for years, so I was blown away by how substantial the original Wave's scissors are compared to its successor.

The only other multitool scissors that I have used are those on the Leatherman Wingman, and they were terrible to use. They never lock without careful effort, and the thumb lever is about half as wide as it should be in order to be comfortable. And I'm not a fan of the thin stock they're made from.

Last edited:
Spirit scissors are quite more different to regular SAK scissors. They are much more robust and are good for hard stuff like zip ties but they don’t have the precision. Don’t expect them to be that good for nose hair kind of trimming.

Two hands down the scissors from regular Victorinox 91mm models.

Vic Spirit though not too shabby a scissors, is entirely a different animal. In fact, a good number of Spirit users would mod the scissors to open wider, and some would wish Victorinox put the 91mm scissors in its place.

Back