Best sharpening equipment

Hey guys and gals just looking for a bit of advice. I have been trying to learn how to hand sharpen my knives for the last couple years. I currently have a king 1000/3000 combination stone. I have got some decent results with this stone but nothing fantastic. I'm looking to either get a couple new stones or possibly a sharpening system. If I stick to stones I was wondering if there would be a DVD or something that could help me improve. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
Hi,
So what is your sharpening procedure exactly ? sharpening what knife?
What is "decent" versus "fantastic"?
Slice printer paper? Shave some arm hairs?
Have you ever raised a burr ?
Do you use any kind of angle guides (ex binder clip...)?
What size (length/width) is your king 1k/3k? Are you sure its not a 6k?
Do you own any bricks ?

Seeing how you've tried to sharpen for a few years,
I think you should answer 20 questions first :)
And maybe try 20 small observations or adjustments in your sharpening procedure using the equipment you already own, and maybe a coffee cup.
Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment
we can help you improve if you're willing to try sensibly

In terms of stones, you might eventually add
a coarse stone 200grit-400 grit for shaping (first part of sharpening)
a 3k/10k ruby combination stone for the last 20 strokes of sharpening (after the 1k..)
both can be bought under $5 or under $10....
but its better to question/answer/try/repeat first before you buy more stuff

Hi,
So what is your sharpening procedure exactly ? sharpening what knife?
What is "decent" versus "fantastic"?
Slice printer paper? Shave some arm hairs?
Have you ever raised a burr ?
Do you use any kind of angle guides (ex binder clip...)?
What size (length/width) is your king 1k/3k? Are you sure its not a 6k?
Do you own any bricks ?

Seeing how you've tried to sharpen for a few years,
I think you should answer 20 questions first :)
And maybe try 20 small observations or adjustments in your sharpening procedure using the equipment you already own, and maybe a coffee cup.
Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment
we can help you improve if you're willing to try sensibly

In terms of stones, you might eventually add
a coarse stone 200grit-400 grit for shaping (first part of sharpening)
a 3k/10k ruby combination stone for the last 20 strokes of sharpening (after the 1k..)
both can be bought under $5 or under $10....
but its better to question/answer/try/repeat first before you buy more stuff
Hey I just picked up a 400 and a 1000 grit naniwa. I plan on using the 400 to start when no have a fairly dull knife and using the 1000 for the rest. I am decent at raising a burr but sometimes I have a hard time getting rid of it and end up "chasing" it. I don't use an angle guide just try to hear and feel the correct angle. A sharp edge to me is one that will slice news paper and shave some arm hair.

Post edited. Warning for minor spam issued
Sharpening my knife with whetstones gives me the ultimate result. So far, I've used many types of it. When you are starting to use a stone, you need to start from the lower grit level to upper. That really helps to have a nice polishing effect. You will have a sharp edge also that holds for you for a longer period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been sharpening knives almost exclusively on a progression of Arkansas stones for my high carbon blades. The kitchen knives are done on Japanese water stones. All freehand. I get good results most of the time. Sharpening freehand is kind of a meditation for me and I really enjoy the process.
However, I have a Kershaw Leek with a composite blade with an edge of D2 steel. What I have found is that while I do well freehanding carbon steel and softer stainless like Inox, I totally buggered the D2 edge. I discovered that I am not very consistent with my angle over a long period. And this D2 is tough and takes a long time to sharpen with Arkansas and the Japanese stuff I have.
Add to that, I have recently gotten a Manly Wasp in S90V and a Spyderco Chaparral in CTS-XHP. They're still in factory condition, but I figured if I was having trouble with my technique on D2, these more exotic steels would be trouble for me as well. I cannot afford the more expensive rigs like an Edge Pro, etc., so I got a DMT Magna-Guide kit. I put a beautiful edge on that D2, and I can touch it up fine on the Arkies. If my newer knives won't budge on the Arkies, I know I can put a fine edge on them with the cheap DMT kit. I am hoping that I only need to do that if I damage an edge. But a guided system certainly has it's place for me. After spending years freehand sharpening, it almost feels like cheating. I know... I'll get over it...

Back