Best slicer - PM2 or GB???

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new knife and I have a quick question:

What is the best slicer? The most efficient cutting tool? The PM2 or the GB?

The PM2 has the full flat grind and the very good S30V steel going for it... while the GB has the excellent M4 steel.

Even tough the M4 GB will stay sharp longer... will it also cut more efficiently?
Or does the PM2 out-slice the GB any time?

Pls advise!
Regards,

i've handled both (only handled) and it looks like the PM2 has a thicker blade going right at the edge. the GB is hollow-ground and has a thinner blade on the business side.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm testing my brothers PM2 at the moment and I must say that I like it a lot!!!

But the GB is also very tempting. The M4 at around 65 RC must be something special.

Would the hollow grind cut as efficient as the full flat grind on the PM2?

It really depends on what you are cutting. Softer foods, wood, cardboard, et all, fall readily to the PM2. Also, the flat spine works famously to scrape food off a cutting board, which is very handy for camping. The hollow grind of the GB works better at chopping carrots, cheese, carving utensils and many other tasks. Ultimately, you will end up with both, so all you have to do is pick the first one. ;)

High hollow grind cuts as well or even better than full flat or convex! So do not worry, differences are minimal;).I used to hate hollow grinds but high hollow properly done sometimes even outperforms other grinds!

It really depends on what you are cutting. Softer foods, wood, cardboard, et all, fall readily to the PM2. Also, the flat spine works famously to scrape food off a cutting board, which is very handy for camping. The hollow grind of the GB works better at chopping carrots, cheese, carving utensils and many other tasks. Ultimately, you will end up with both, so all you have to do is pick the first one. ;)

This!^^

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm testing my brothers PM2 at the moment and I must say that I like it a lot!!!

But the GB is also very tempting. The M4 at around 65 RC must be something special.

Would the hollow grind cut as efficient as the full flat grind on the PM2?

That would be CPM M4 at 62.5 HRC......

For slicing cuts in general the thiner the blade the better. Full flat or a good hollow grind will do the job.I would not worry about the RC numbers to much. The higher the RC the more time generally it takes to sharpen the blade. Spyderco Delica in FFG or the Endura will do the job for a little less coins.

Back