Best spinning rod and reel ?

JDX

Ok so I’m new to all this. But I’m tired of using my friends ugly stik.

im looking for a spinning rod and reel, either a combo or separate. Would be used for trout fishing mainly.

where I fish has tons of over hang and bushes to snag on. But idk where to start. I’m looking to spend less than $150 on both since I’m just getting into it. One day I’ll get a st croix premier rod. But not yet

I saw a Lews graphite rod around $50 and a shimano reel around $50. Someone suggested I get a pflueger president, but everywhere I look there’s pros and cons. I never had an issue with the ugly stik I used

J JDX

St. Croix rods are great and you really can’t go wrong. If you want to try them out on a budget, try their triumph series. I absolutely agree with your choice on going for the premier series as those are my rods of choice, but they do cost more. I have plenty of the triumph series also and have been extremely happy with them.

Pfleuger equipment has been hit or miss for me in what I look for. However, every Pflueger President reel I have is great and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

I have never had a Lew’s rod so I can’t speak to that but I have a couple of their reels and they make some excellent reels for the money.

My personal preference on reels is Shimano. They have a very good, quality lineup with a wide range of pricing options.

As for a recommendation for your fishing conditions, I would say get a rod about 6 ft as that will give you a good ability to cast out a ways from the shore and not so long that you’ll get hung up in the branches and brush. I’ve done a lot of fishing in those conditions. Also, depending on what kind of trout and what size you’ll want to consider rod power. Given your fishing from shore, I would think it safe to say you probably won’t be after lake trout, so probably targeting rainbows and similar more. I would look at something in the medium range. And finally, I will recommend choosing one with a fast action as it will give you a little more versatility with your fishing methods.

Hope you find this helpful with what you’re looking for!

For spinning reels I cannot suggest Penn enough. Best drag ever seen and everything just smooth smooth smooth. Even the battle II is fantastic for like $50. I have multiple conflicts too. Honestly between the conflicts which are twice the price and battles like the battles more probably. Drag is most important thing to me personally. Penn is just the best imo. They are are steel construction. Very tough, very smooth. I doubt I'll buy any other brand for spinning reel ever. Pheluger president is plenty decent, but like Penns better. I haven't bought a Shimano since the 90s so couldn't say. It looks lkke a cheapo too. I wouldnt use it now, beat to death and even if wasnt, just not good. I wouldn't hesitate to get some thing from them or Diawa tho. And also have been tempted to get lews stuff.

I love ugly sticks, except I don't care for the locking mechanism that holds the reel in place. Just is kinda weak and have broke them before. If they change that would be perfect imo. Abu Garcia rods have fallen apart on me way too much over 7 years, 2 baitcasters and 1 spinning, won't buy anything Abu again. Their spinning reels suck imo too. Baitcasters are decent tho. I also don't care for quantum spinning reels under $100. Hated couple have had.

Daiwa rods have been very good for me of two own and what use most that can think of.

Never owed st.Croix but checking them out from people that do they seem very nice, and they swear by them. I would like one.

Ugly sticks have been excellent rods overall for me. Have had them since can remember. Some of best flex there is super cheap.

You really should go to store if can to see what like. I haven't bought any new gear for years. Not sure what's out there.

If your rough on gear and want dependable....go penn
IF you like buttery smooth and dependable and take a little care with your gear go diawa

Been using UglyStiks for years. They have been great rods for me.Penn reals are some of the best.

I've got two penn slammers a 260 and a 560, the 260 is my estuary reel, on a mid 6.5ft uglystick
The slammer doesn't have a winding reverse, which is the thing that has failed on every other reel I've had, so I don't consider it a needed feature. Good, solid, cheap.

For the price and reliability it's hard to beat Penn spinning reels. Not sure what size you're wanting but Neuse Sport Shop has their in stock Fierce II reels 50% off and they were offering free shipping.
I've got several St. Croix rods and the Premiere Series is nice. When I head to the coast I usually carry my Triumph rods.

Why not stick with Ugly Stik? The GX2 series are awesome. For a reel, Id suggest Phluger. They make good stuff. Honestly, these days most any fishing gear is pretty good.

Back