Best steel for a chef knife western or Japanese

Is 1 mm a typo? That is .04 inches and the AEB-L gyuto that I just finished was down like .006-007 or about .15mm before i sharpened it.
I didn't want to grind it to thin before I sent it out I sent it to Peter's heat treat

Last edited:
I was thinking about using AEB-L stock removal method and sending it out for heat treat. I also see that Aldo Bruno has 52100 san mai. I would probably send that out for heat treat also I am new and my million-dollar boss asked me to make a chef's knife for him so I wanted it to be a good one thanks any advice would be great!

My best advice for kitchen knives is don't grind the bevels before HT.

mine is only slightly different to say they you shou d at least cut in the bevels pre HT. i grins about a 1/2" bevel almost to the tip (leave the tip full thickness) pre HT stripps les grit from good belts an dcentering the tip is much easier with full thickness stock

M390 is also very stainless from Sweden. The American version would be the 20CV. If I was making a kitchen knife, these steels hold a crazy edge. Yes the above Japanese steels are excellent but will rust farely quick. You want a high end steel with lots of Chromium. Hope this helps. Good luck on making your piece too!

Brad at Peters told me to grind S35VN to .010 before HT. Any thinner runs the risk of distortion during HT.

Back