Best sub $100 sharpener? I am lost.

Ok I plan on eventually sharping a lot of my folders. And some of my fixed blade knives as well. Some up to the size of a bowie.
I have never sharpened a knife before and I know it will take practice. But everything I read has people recommending all different types of sharpeners. I am looking for something that works good while also being easy and not very time consuming.
My current choice is this
http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50008-...8&qid=1393611928&sr=8-1&keywords=smiths+50008

Smiths tri-hone diamond sharpener. But it seems people are trying to steer me away from it.
Can someone set me straight.
What is the best and pretty easy sharpening system for under 100 bucks?

Smith makes pretty good stuff, not top end, but my Smith's diamond plates are still going strong for well over a decade.

There are a zillion options that will all have their pros and cons - not surprising I highly recommend the sharpening block I sell through the link in my signature - is inexpensive and comprehensive.
][
\/

You could also consider a Norton Crystalon combination stone - is a great beginners stone that you will never outgrow.

Martin

There are a lot of good stones that are available for under $100, there is no "best". It comes down to skill more than anything. My honest advice do what I wish I did and just buy something cheap to get your feet wet so you get a feel for free hand sharpening, and honestly I probably pick up the stone heavyhanded recommended. I will own up to the fact that I don't own it but I've been around long enough on this side of the forum to know I should listen to what he says as he definitely knows his stuff, his sharpening block I also hear good things about as well.

You can also pick up a DMT Aligner Clamp to help you get a more consistent angle (you can use it on it's own with a benchstone) while you are learning. I found that it's quite nice to have a little cheating device to use occasionally so you know what consistency is and help you build the muscle memory if your having difficulty. Than when you feel ready you still have a lot of funds to expand on your sharpening equipment.

I think the Lansky kit with the clamp is a good place to start. You'll gain an understanding of angles and can then decide whether to stay with it or move to freehand. I'd suggest the basic kit (standard stones) and adding an XC diamond hone for reprofiling. Also read up (here) on the marker trick to find angles.

Good sharpening,
Dave

Ok I plan on eventually sharping a lot of my folders. And some of my fixed blade knives as well. Some up to the size of a bowie.
I have never sharpened a knife before and I know it will take practice. But everything I read has people recommending all different types of sharpeners. I am looking for something that works good while also being easy and not very time consuming.
My current choice is this
http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50008-...8&qid=1393611928&sr=8-1&keywords=smiths+50008

Smiths tri-hone diamond sharpener. But it seems people are trying to steer me away from it.
Can someone set me straight.
What is the best and pretty easy sharpening system for under 100 bucks?

My recomendation is for one of the V sharpeners.

Lansky 4 Rod Gourmet Crock Stick - $22

Idahone V-Type Ceramic Rod Sharpener with 4 rods - $38

Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker - $59

they are nearly goof proof and produce a nice usable sharp edge.

If you want fast and very sharp, go with a Harbor Freight 1x30 and some belts and you are still under your $100 budget (use a light touch). Or, if you already have an bench grinder you could pick up a set of paper wheels.

DMT Aligner Deluxe and Spyderco Sharpmaker can both be acquired for around $100 if you look around, each going for around $50. The Sharpmaker is great for touch ups and the Aligner is good for reprofiling.

If you want a quick solution, the fastest results I have seen is the Work Sharp.

For $100 you can get a sharpmaker and a set of diamond stones and you'll pretty much be able to sharpen anything short of mower blades.

SharpMaker is not as fast as WorkSharp. IMHO, owning both tools. The WorkSharp has a downside, in that you need $18 of new belts, every 100 knives. 18 cents a sharpening. The SharpMaker is pretty much free to use, no additional cost. Also works out of a back pack on a camping trip. No electricity needed.

DMT double sided stone with solid surface is much better than Smith. Trend is even better, though over $100. Use low viscosity oil (Trend's is great). Clean swarf from stone with white eraser after use.

DMT Aligner Deluxe and Spyderco Sharpmaker can both be acquired for around $100 if you look around, each going for around $50. The Sharpmaker is great for touch ups and the Aligner is good for reprofiling.

I agree with this. Both are great sharpeners but in their own ways. I think they compliment each other very nicely.

I got the Lansky Deluxe kit yesterday & after doing 3 knives with it so far I am impressed. Little bit of a learning curve but I was able to reprofile 3 knives that my Sharpmaker couldn't seem to touch. At $30 shipped I'm very impressed with this setup so far. I also bought the little metal stand for it for an extra $8 which is a big help.

For clamp style sharpeners I like the Lansky. V sticks; Spyderco sharpmaker:thumbup:

Smith makes pretty good stuff, not top end, but my Smith's diamond plates are still going strong for well over a decade.

There are a zillion options that will all have their pros and cons - not surprising I highly recommend the sharpening block I sell through the link in my signature - is inexpensive and comprehensive.
][
\/

You could also consider a Norton Crystalon combination stone - is a great beginners stone that you will never outgrow.

Martin

HH / Martin's solution is good for both learning & long term use because of the tactile & sound feedback. Watch his video, full of good tips.
I carry them whenever I travel to keep my blade tuned up :thumbup:

That's if you're willing to invest in the learning/practice.

Sharpmaker will be good for maintenance, but the angle from your free hand must be matched to obtain optimim result.

Now I am so torn. The sharpmaker just looks so cheesy and you still have to get the angle yourself.
And the lanksy kit seems like it isn't quite accurate enough. I wish there was something like the wicked sharpener that wasn't so much money.

Here is what 30 seconds on that cheap lansky crock stick sharpener can do for an edge.

skip ahead to the 11:45 mark for the sharpening

[video=youtube;onQRVeyh_kw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onQRVeyh_kw[/video]

I've had that sharpener for 30 years and until recently, it was all I ever used to maintain all my knife edges. $20.00 well spent:thumbup:

Last edited:
DMT diamond hone stones are good but the Aligner system sux. Way better off just sharpening free hand without it. I'm thinking trying the Smith's Tri-Hone sharpener too or work sharp grinder.

The Spyderco is a great system and if I could only have one of the following three below, the Spyderco would be it. Portable, does a great job for working edges and advanced edges, although it doesn't reprofile like the others but it is great for the money. I do have all three

Spyderco, edge pro, wicked edge

Back