Best sub $100 sharpener? I am lost.

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by shortyg83, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
  2. jkulysses

jkulysses

Dec 8, 2010
    Have you looked at the KME Sharpening setup?

3. Bo T

Bo T

Feb 12, 2011
    Google oldjimbo or search this forum for inexpensive freehand sharpening advice. Once you have learned how to freehand sharpen, decide how you want to go with your sharpening tools.

4. chaddbernard

chaddbernard

Feb 18, 2014
    worksharp

5. Big D1

Big D1

May 6, 1999
    DMT Aligner at $40.00 and add on a black extra coarse for $15 more. That's my pick. I like the Sharpmaker too, but even with the add on diamond rods it is considerably slower than the DMT Aligner.

At $70.00 the Worksharp looks like it would be up for the task, but I have never owned it, but I think it would be worth your consideration.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. FordFan

FordFan

Dec 11, 2012
    + 1 for the SharpMaker.

7. NRA

NRA

Feb 15, 2014
    About the only sharpener I don't own is wicked edge. Out of all of them, no clear winner. It is up to the person to pick a poison, and master using it.

8. thombrogan

thombrogan

Nov 16, 2002
    The beauty of the Sharpmaker is that if you can hold a blade straight up and down, you can hold a 15 or 20 degree angle and if you can hold a blade so it's parallel with the floor, you can hold a 12.5 degree angle. And later, when you've got more experience under your belt, you can turn your wrist for an infinitely variable system.

Add a coarse silicon carbide oilstone (such as a Norton Crystolon) for thinning out the blade behind the edge and you're in business and under budget. If you want the behind-the-edge grinding to look uniform, prop up one side of the side to make a pre-set angle.

9. wvriverats

wvriverats Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Spyderco sharpmaker was the first thing that I ever used successfully. It is an incredible sharpener and reasonably priced. I love mine and would not part with it. I had bought every gimmicky, destructive, magic sharpener on this planet, until I got one. The thing with the sharpmaker is regular maintenance. Start with a fairly sharp blade and it will shave in no time. I would hit my edc knives about every 2 weeks and they would stay sharper than when I purchased them.

That being said, I had some high end knives that I could not sharpen on the sharpmaker. Mainly a Busse active duty that I love. No matter how hard I tried or how often. I also, never had a whole lot of luck with the decent blade that one of my buddies had neglected to the point of "butterknife" status.

I recently purchased the work sharp Ken Onion edition, and I was impressed! It filled in the gaps in my sharpening system and was able to tackle even my problem knives. I won't be giving up my sharpmaker anytime soon, but I won't part with the worksharp either! It took the combination of the two to finally take a guy like me, with no skill at sharpening at all, and give me sharp knives in very little time.

10. AFAustin

AFAustin Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I agree. The Work Sharp KO plus a Sharpmaker is a very nice combination.

I should add that the SM with the UF rods is even better.

And I should further add that with all this, we're now well above the OP's original $100 limit. Oh well....

Andrew

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  11. NRA

NRA

Feb 15, 2014
    My KO Work Sharp broke two days ago. Case cracked where attachments fasten. I called the company, and they are sending me a new one. Bettsy is a jewel.

12. ziggy925

ziggy925

Oct 4, 2009
    Keep in mind the "thing" that has to be accurate when sharpening is you. You seem to be leaning towards a freehand system using stones, and it takes a lot of practice and patience to sharpen freehand well. I think the reason most people are steering you towards the Spyderco Sharpmaker is it's very easy to setup and is very versatile. You can even mount the rods so that it works just like a flat stone allowing you to sharpen freehand. For profiling they make triangular diamond rods and the whole set should be within your budget. So, here's another vote for the Sharpmaker.