Best Tactical Fillet Knife

By far, the large Cold Steel fillet, made out of carbon V. That thing is insane. I've been handling it in my store for about a week now. I sharpened it on the sharpmaker, and did a water bottle test, in the store. This thing is great. The lower half of the bottle didn't even fall down. The blade only barely flexes. It's just enough that if someone were to smack the flat of the blade with a more different knife or club, it would flex and return instead of break. It is by far my new favorite knife ever. It desreves a better case, though. Something more stealthy.
I think Cold Steel should make another version of their fillet knife that is, maybe 12 inch blade and maybe a bit thicker. That would be freaking cool.
Seriously, hold this knife. It isn't fish that you want to cut with it, if you know what I mean... (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)
-KC

I've filleted more guys who cast over me and made me lose a fish during the fall run than all the fish I've ever caught. The nice thing is that you don't need to worry about blood splatter because you can rinse off in the surf.

Seriously, I hope this is a joke and the Python reference makes me think so. CS' fillet knives are actually pretty good. Lots of flex and nice edge retention. Not a bad fillet knife, especially at discounted prices.

I personally like Microtech's filet knife more than the CS one. It is more "tactical" in my opinion.
mt-marlin.jpg
photo from 1sks.com
Length, Overall: 12.125"
Blade Length: 7.125"
Blade Material: S30V
Handle Length: 5.0"
Handle Material: 6061 T6
Weight: 6.0 oz
Sheath Material: Kydex

I fish WITH my filet knife. That's why I need one in covert black, so the fish can't see it coming.
I've noticed that the ColdSteel filet knives have the least flex out of all the filet knives in my store. The long one is especially rigid for some reason.
But at $29 msrp, I can't afford not to have one!

I suppose it's just a matter of time before Cold Steel and Dark Ops collaborate on a tactical oyster knife... Bivalves everywhere are sure to be shivering in their shells as they await covert deanimation by this stealthy looking bad boy. :D

So apparently there is something wrong with a black filet knife? You have to be a mall ninja to be interested in one? This guy just wants a cool filet knife, and the best you can do it to put him down. Be a bit more respectful. I am sure you have all asked a question that others have tolerated here in the General knife area. There are a bunch of new people here that think it is cool to jump on someone for asking a simple question or being excited about a knife. Remember what goes around comes around.

Which filet knife is best for covert aquatic deanimation operations of both marine and non-marine species? Which one controls blood splatter best?

I dont know, but I bet the Cold Steel guts dogs nicely... :rolleyes:

BTW, I really, really, like the lookof that Microtech, very sweet.

I like the Microtech, but I have to wonder how secure that grip is covered in fish slime.

I always loved using the Cold Steel Filet knives. My only complaint was that they rusted pretty easily, and the coating would start flaking off.

Chris Mapp said:
I like the Microtech, but I have to wonder how secure that grip is covered in fish slime.

I always loved using the Cold Steel Filet knives. My only complaint was that they rusted pretty easily, and the coating would start flaking off.
You are right abuot the grip. I don't know, but you can always put black rubber bands on it if it is too slippery. Also about the rust, I bet that is why MT coated the blade with TiNi. I havn't had a chance to play with the MT fillet knife, because I just use a cheapy, but I may get one someday.

Filet knives have some things going for them that would make them a good tactical knife; mainly thinly ground blades that cut well. If someone would just take a good existing tactical knife design and thin down the blade, you'd probably have a great knife.

I'd love to see the Cold Steel filet knives with G-10 or linen Micarta handles, but that would probably double the cost of them. I'm almost tempted to buy one, remove the coating, and then see if I could get a patina on the blade. I wonder how well that would protect it in salt water usage.

Knifeclerk said:
I've noticed that the ColdSteel filet knives have the least flex out of all the filet knives in my store. The long one is especially rigid for some reason.
That's strange. The CS fillet knife I have has a decent amount of flexibility. Not as much as the Kershaw but I wouldn't call it rigid. I believe the coating is on it to reduce corrosion in salt water environments, not so much for it's tactical appeal. Though, my fillet knife is the only one I use to 'deanimate' living beings (i.e. fish) so maybe it's fitting.

I know that this thread is old, but after reading it, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks a "tactical" fillet knife can actually exist and have a place at your side.

I know that this thread is old, but after reading it, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks a "tactical" fillet knife can actually exist and have a place at your side.
For when you need to sneak up on and surprise the half-dead fish.

Wait... hold up. You brought back a thread that's been dead since Hurricane Katrina was still news... just to give the "+1" that you too want a tactical filet knife

Back