BEST tool on a SAK besides the knife?

This is going to get ugly...but it must be done.

Which single tool on a SAK is the best, aside from knife blades?

The Rules:

1. It must be a tool that has been featured on an actual SAK at some point.

Thats pretty much it. Go!

I would have to go with the scissors. I use them all the time and don’t own a SAK that doesn't have scissors. I use them for trimming my facial hair when I come across a crazy hair, trim latex slingshot bands, open sauce packets, cut zip ties, etc. they are a tool I cannot live without. What is your tool choice?

Very compelling choice! I love hearing the usage examples. Hard to beat (but not my choice!).

I'll give the 'correct' answer after people have had a chance to weigh-in.

I'll tell you what, I use my tweezers like crazy. They make a great little scraper. I use em to clean the insides of my other knives, scrape the gunk off my mouse sliders, and such. I ise them more for scraping than tweezing actually.

The can opener/small screwdriver/phillips combo! Although I actually use the scissors more on a day-to-day (for grooming as others have said), but this is a tool that every fullsize (>= 84mm) SAK must have because there is simply no alternative to those functions and they essential in camping/outdoors/survival situations.

I'm really enjoying hearing people's pick and the reasons for it. I deliberated hard on which model I wanted for edc and 2 layers was the max width I wanted in my pocket.

The scissors are truly great, but in the end I decided I could live without them and got the Tinker. At first I thought the can opener was a wasted slot, but it's become one of my most used tools.

Once I realized the driver works great for Phillips I started using it more than the dedicated t-hold driver. In-line is more comfortable and practical.

The sharp but not too sharp edge is the perfect Lego piece seperator, and other similar types of fine prying tasks. Mandatory dad business.

I use the whole thing to twist-bore through cardboard (like opening a 12-pack). It's a workhorse tool. Ironically, never once opened a can with it yet, but it clearly will do that very well.

So that's my pick. Can't say it's any better than the others though.

The wood saw on them is bloody impressive for its size. With my handyman I once cut through a hazel tree with it that was thicker than the saw was long. Took a long time but I just cut a bit on one side as far as it would go, then moved round a bit and cut as much as it would go. And keep going round till I'd cut all the way through.
I was fixing a sheep netting wire fence and the tree had grown through the net and fallen because the ground was wet and was pinning the fence down so had to cut it to get the fence up. I usually take a chainsaw but forgot. I should have just gone to get something better but would have had to walk probably a 1/4 mile to the truck, then drive a mile or so to go get it. Then drive back and carry the saw to the little tree cut it then carry it back. Handyman did it but o wouldn't want to make a habit of it :confused:
Have cut several 2x4s with one as well when bodging something together away from my proper tools. Got to have a saw :thumbsup:

Another for can opener. Can be used as a Phillips, small flat screwdriver, can opener, package opener, etc.... I have even saw videos on youtube for using the can opener to get a cork out of a bottle of wine although I have never tried it myself.

Other than the main blade, the most important is the bottler opener/flat head screwdriver. Most seem to like the scissors; I don't own a SAK with a scissors and I have quite a few SAKs. In a worst case scenario, I do have a scissors on my Leatherman Ps4 Squirt, but I don't believe I have ever used it. I carry the Squirt on my key ring pretty much all the time.

Back