Best top for a grinder workbench?

This week I'm going to build a dedicated bench for my grinder, with enough room for a mini mill a few feet over

What are some good options to top a bench like that? Especially something easy to vacuum/blow clean.

Most of my benches are 1" to 2" thick OSB (1/2" layers) with a 1/4" hardboard top.

I've been meaning to buy a sheet of Formica or the like and cut it to size then glue it (unless it's already adhesive backed) over my plywood and thick particle board benches. They attract so much dust and dirt and pretty annoying to try to clean, and getting them wet all the time doesn't help.

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

The two workbenches I have now, one is plywood topped and the other is a solid core door. But I'd like something I don't worry about getting wet and stained. And a harder surface than both of those.

I hadn't considered the bar top type of epoxy, that's an interesting thought.

I'd also thought about a thin sheet of steel or stainless over plywood.

This week I'm going to build a dedicated bench for my grinder, with enough room for a mini mill a few feet over

What are some good options to top a bench like that? Especially something easy to vacuum/blow clean.

I have a 12 x 2 feet x 4 inches thick with the top a sheet of 1 inch resin bonded plywood since 1976, has it taken some hammer, It has followed me to 4 different houses and is as strong as ever.

I have a smaller lightweight bench for mostly clean work , mind you, thinking, it is a bit beefy.

Always build stronger than you need .

3/4 plywood has been good enough for me so far holding up fine. Easy to replace as well once it's destroyed.

Last edited:
My grinder sits on 2 pieces of laminated 3/4" plywood, glued and screwed. Top surface is 5 or so coats of Arm-R-Seal satin poly, very durable and wipes down easily.

While massive benches are great, a piece of the black granite look countertop from Home Depot, etc. will work well and look great. Easy to clean, too. Cost is low, it has a front lip, and a back splash. Fits right on a 24" wide bench.

If you have the space, i would highly suggest not putting the mill so close to the grinder. unless you have an amazing dust collection system, that mill will get caked with fine particulate that while not going to do any major damage, will be a pain in the ass to clean on a regular basis.

As for material, i prefer steel. Anything that creates sparks i get mild plate under.

I have a buddy that does epoxy flooring, we plan on doing all my bench tops in the near future. Should be great for clean up as long as I dont spill my acetone.

Last edited:
I have a buddy that does epoxy flooring, we plan on doing all my bench tops in the near future. Should be great for ean up as long as I dont spill my acetone.
After it's hardened it doesn't really care. I did my entire kitchen counters in epoxy, too. Fantastic stuff! 15541395967098076283097794932926.jpg

Fwiw, My workbenches tops are made of phenolic coated plywood. its about 1.25" thick.
Its the stuff used for concrete formwork.

Back