Best traditional folding knife ‘in hand’

The gec 43, 42, 73 single blade, sodbusters, big lockbacks and the like are comfortable to hold. Most anything with more than one blade is not too comfortable but with those I hold the knife in a sideways kind of grip so it doesn't really matter unless you are cutting with a lot of force.

I agree with Alan that a 3 3/4 sowbelly is right up there. A 4 inch Lanny's clip like the Case/Bose to is also just about perfect in hand. However, after handling this Rounder pattern there is a new king in my mind. It will be little big for summer shorts carry but right now with its shape and 4 finger grip.. it fills the hand perfectly with zero compensation or hot spots.
7D0CA671-FAB4-40D2-AE43-288C72B8BEBF_zps5pyubz6l.jpeg

View attachment 1036179
Up until my latest acquisition I would have chosen the Manny Saldana Dog Bone. This knife really surprised me and is very useful in hand with a very organic feel. A true tool made to cut it's like an extension of your hand. Behind that I would then rank them Pena Barlow, Case Bose Cattle Knife, Saldana mini Zulu and finally the Pena mini Zulu. That leaves the Charlie Bell Trapper as my #1 favorite knife as far as ergonomics are concerned. It is surprisingly light compared to its peers. Extremely balanced in hand. Just the right amount of curve to the frame and perfect swell in the butt for my palm. Blade geometry is exceptional on this knife. Coming in at 3 3/4" closed length it is right in that perfect sweet spot for size for me. Not pertinent but it's interesting to note I have far less invested in the Bell than I do the others but I think it's worth mentioning because when I look at Mr. Bells patterns clearly functionality for the end user is a top priority in his build. Which should appeal to the budget minded custom knife connoisseur. So there you have it, the Charlie Bell small trapper is my top knife for ergonomics. Truly a delightful knife to hold and use!
View attachment 1036188

View attachment 1036189

View attachment 1036190

View attachment 1036191

That's a good looking, blade. The clip profile is very handsome, and it looks like it's ground fairly thinly. How's the pull and action that Bell puts on 'em?

The gec 43, 42, 73 single blade, sodbusters, big lockbacks and the like are comfortable to hold. Most anything with more than one blade is not too comfortable but with those I hold the knife in a sideways kind of grip so it doesn't really matter unless you are cutting with a lot of force.

Your inbox is full, Paul.

For the last few years I've had in hand about 50 patterns from all over the world. Some are far away behind, some quite close to them, but still the first place for "the best in hand" I would give:
sods.jpg

(although some need a little work with sandpaper on the edges to round them up a tiny bit)

Back