Best vintage Hudson Bay

I understand that vintage axe heads made in the past are far superior to current production heads. What age and makers are considered to be the highest quality axe head that be found. In other words what’s the holy grail of Hudson Bay style blades and what are some that might not be the pinnacle but much better than current production.

I understand that vintage axe heads made in the past are far superior to current production heads. What age and makers are considered to be the highest quality axe head that be found. In other words what’s the holy grail of Hudson Bay style blades and what are some that might not be the pinnacle but much better than current production.
Well the only HB's I know of in production today would be the Snow & Nealley which I hear is decent, the Council tools HB, and Council's velvicut HB.

For vintage heads the best would probably be the Collins legitimus HB's or the original Snow & Nealley HB's.
Walters in Canada also made a popular HB, but it's a bit different looking and may not be exactly what you're looking for.
By all accounts the Norlund HB's command waaaay more than they're worth.

In all reality with the light duty nature of the HB pattern head with it's very shallow eye I'm going to say that you'd be just fine with about any HB you get.
Whether it's a modern S&N, CT, or a nice vintage, they all have narrow polls / shallow eyes so the head would probably get loos on you before you had a chance to damage a potentially lesser steel it may be forged from.
I guess one would get dull faster, but that's about it.
The only other factor that might come into play would be the bit profiles but you'd need to get measurements of each one and I'm not sure how you'd get that done.

First off try to find one that is reasonably priced and then come back on here with pictures before you commit to a purchase. So far the Chinese have not been producing their versions of them. If a real 'user' is what you're looking for then scope around for a recently-discontinued Wetterlings H.B. model. Wetterlings properly tangled with the flaws on these and improved upon the design. H B s are pretty to look at and are iconic in shape but they've never gained any ground at being durable for hard use.

Last edited:
I'd look for a Legitimus or a Velvicut.
Sound advice! A Council Tools 'Velvicut' is by far the easiest way to go. These are well made, the iconic shape is there, they're still in production, and they're made in the US of A.

Back