best way to finish kydex edge

Looking for advise on the best way to finish the edge. I have been using scotchbrite, but the edge is dull. I think I have seen finished edges where they are more glossy. Looking for a simple by hand method if possible.

Sand paper works. Start in a medium grit it helps even up your edges too, work your way up to finer grits and it will get more glossy. If you want better edges you can probably finish with something like Mothers Mag and Alum polish.

I sand with 240, 400 then 600 paper. Then rub the edges on a piece of jean material. It's a pretty quick and efficient way to get the edges done.

I use sandpaper (400 grit) then buff with black compound on a cotton wheel, then white compound in the same fashion. It leaves a high gloss smooth edge and removes all visible scrathes from the sandpaper.

I start with dry Scotchbrite pad to even out the edges. Kind of like a Sisel wheel. Then I move to Wet sanding with 150, then 224, 400, 500, 600, then my Wife's old beat up scotchbrite pad with Dawn dish soap and then move to wet sanding with alcohol and 1000 and 1500 pads then polish it with some plain chap stick and rub it on jean cloth. I also put a dab of chap stick (plain) in the sheath just to even out the pull.

thanks all for the valuable techniques, now on to another post about kydex holster scratch prevention.

What Jason said above. Sand to about 400 then wipe the edges with acetone. Just don't get acetone anywhere but the edges.

Back