Bestech Lion

I haven't seen too many reviews around the web on this knife so I thought that I would post my thoughts here.
IMG_8491.jpg

First, I think this knife is a bargain. For around $55 dollars delivered from BladeHQ, you get a pretty nice package for the price. The G10 scales are nicely done and in person they look really nice (almost like a wood grain). The D2 blade is really sharp right out of the box with a stonewashed/satin blade. Blade centering was basically spot-on The action was decent but got much better after flipping it 100 times or so and adding a little bit of 3-in-one oil to the bearings. The liner lock is nice at about 25% when locked and has a really good secure feel with a saber grip.

IMG_8492.jpg

I have a few cons for this knife of course. First is that its a little heavy. With full skeletonized liners, this knife comes in just under 5 ounces. Second, the pocket clip is REALLY tight against the handle. Trying to bend it to loosen it up was a little bit of a struggle. But I guess having it hard to bend is better than it easily bending. The third is that its a little thick in the pocket. It doesn't necessarily disappear. Also, the G-10 scales aren't necessarily that grippy. Not only do they look like wood grain, but it has the same feel as the surface of a wooden floor or something like that.
IMG_8493.jpg

These are my first impressions. I've only carried the knife for a few days so I can't currently report on how long the D2 blade sharpness will hold up. Overall though, I like this company and there is clearly attention to detail

IMG_8495_1.jpg

IMG_8496.jpg

PROS:
-Great Value
-D2 Steel/G10 Handles
-Great flipping action
-Good overall construction out of the box

CONS:
-Heavy and thick for a 3.4inch bladed knife (4.8oz)
-Pocket clip extremely taught against handle
-Scales could be a bit more grippy

IMG_8494.jpg

Last edited:
Nice review, man! Really interested in the high value D2 guys coming out of China. Steel Will and Bestech are really putting forth some nice options. And I like how Bestech runs their D2 to ~60

Recently received a Bestech Scimitar and have been very much impressed with the overall fit and finish.

Too early to comment on the D2. Haven't used the knife a lot...

Thanks for the review!

My Bestech Lion is one of the smoothest knives I own. D2 has been fine. The only minus is the weight......it is heavy

I've used my Lion on a fair bit of cardboard, and it holds an edge exactly how I would expect D2 to. A little worse than my Cutjack in D2, but that could be geometry or my sharpening job. For the $45 (I think) I paid for it, I'm super happy. It's my most buttery smooth flipper, ceramic bearings and detent. If the pocket clip was reversible, it could be the perfect budget pocket knife.

Advanced Knife Bro on YT sent this to me as a giveaway on his channel. Have to admit I was surprised at the bang-for-buck quality. OP's review is right on all points. The steel clip is way too tight, but I got it bent just enough so it's not a problem any longer. Great beater, really.

Otto Carpenter Otto Carpenter Totally agree with the bang for your buck. I actually ended up getting one of their other D2 models. The Kendo. I think I'll post a review about it once I use it for a few more days, but it came with the same fit and finish as the Lion, and I like it a bit better because the steel liners in the Kendo are actually nested inside the G-10 scales so its a bit thinner in the pocket.

I have had the Kendo for a few months now and am satisfied. I have resharpened once using my worksharp bench thing. No drama. Slim and attractive, like my wife. The scimitar is next for me.

Back