Better chopper: Basic 11 or Silent Knight CF?

DamascusBowie

Gold Member
Both are about the same length and size, the SK is a little heavier, 2-3 ounces or so mainly due to full tang and g10, but overall, similar size and of course, both are INFI. B11 is coated, while the SK is not.

So I know that the B11 is a monster chopper, but I thought the SK might be competitive because its slicier, slicker and maybe the cbt helps it, who knows.

What do you guys think? I ran a test today and I know the answer - I'll share it eventually, but I can tell you one thing - I was very surprised.

I don't have a sk, but the 1o and 11 are chopperific. what is the final verdict Mr Damascus?

I don't have a sk, but the 1o and 11 are chopperific. what is the final verdict Mr Damascus?

The B11 just left the SK in the dust, it wasnteven close. Not to fault the SK, its not meant to be a chopper, its very much a pure fighter but I wanted to try it out.

Now, I only ran one test, with identical pieces of wood, but what took me 75 seconds with the B!! toom me 3 minutes with the SK. It just wasntbiting the same, and it was harder to get a good chop in, mostly because of the curved blade.

The B11 blew the SK's doors off - but Ill be chopping them both a lot more tomorrow so we'll see how it really does. But so far, the B11 is the grand champ.

The B11 was only slightly, maybe 15-20% slower than my Gransfror bruk small forest axe which says a lot about the B11

The B11 just left the SK in the dust, it wasnteven close. Not to fault the SK, its not meant to be a chopper, its very much a pure fighter but I wanted to try it out.

Now, I only ran one test, with identical pieces of wood, but what took me 75 seconds with the B!! toom me 3 minutes with the SK. It just wasntbiting the same, and it was harder to get a good chop in, mostly because of the curved blade.

The B11 blew the SK's doors off - but Ill be chopping them both a lot more tomorrow so we'll see how it really does. But so far, the B11 is the grand champ.

The B11 was only slightly, maybe 15-20% slower than my Gransfror bruk small forest axe which says a lot about the B11
cool. I will be watching to see updated results. I remember the first time I swung a basic 10. It feels like a feather, but hits like a hammer. with a very sharp edge...and stuff.

and the 11, is a little heavier, but it has a great rep for a reason.

and the 11, is a little heavier, but it has a great rep for a reason.

Yeah, I'm in awe of the b11, it just works so well. It made my BB13 obsolete. I just want to test the BB13 against my forest axe and then Ill probably sell it.

I still havn't knocked the new off my bb13 or hnws.

Don't own a B11 so I don't know what type of edge they come with, but the SK is atrocious. Took me 4 hours to put a 20 degree bevel on the swedge part of the blade, but it chops and slices incredibly well for such a light blade.

I still havn't knocked the new off my bb13 or hnws.

Iveused my BB13 a lot, its a total monster. I used it to process a giant oak tree stump, and it handles all the power one can give it. It dwarfs even the B11, but Ive decided that if any job is too big for the B11, its time for an axe or chainsaw :D

when I think chainsaw, I think ttkz or nmfbm...or stihl.

Oddly enough I tried some chopping with the SK today. There's a sweet spot before the bottom curve where it's meat seems to be focused. Too far in or out and vibration comes on. It's no BM but I didn't expect it to be any more than it was. It's a sweet blade to handle though

Ive had, and used them all, alot of big choppers and ive had 2 b11's one with the basic handle and one that is way rarer with a res-c handle and the res-c handled b11 has been my favorite out of them all. Its a chopping beast and i wish i never would have sold it but thats life. Ive got a b8le and really like it chopping with a satin finish compared to a coated one. I wish i would have stripped the res-c handled b11 cause it would have been the ultimate Chopper IMO. The silent night looks awesome but I think after using it for a while your wrist and arm would get fatigued pretty quick with the Micarta/ g10 handles. It's hard to beat the res-c handle for chopping.

The Dog Soldier 6 chopped just as well as the SK for me. That is the power of Res-C weight distribution and handle comfort. So any blade larger than the DS6 with res-c is just going to chop even better. There is a reason so many of us love res-c for our users besides just the price efficiency. ;)

Oddly enough I tried some chopping with the SK today. There's a sweet spot before the bottom curve where it's meat seems to be focused. Too far in or out and vibration comes on. It's no BM but I didn't expect it to be any more than it was. It's a sweet blade to handle though

You are right about the sweet spot, which adds another degree of difficulty. It was still fun and i enjoyed throwing the SK around, I love that blade.

The Dog Soldier 6 chopped just as well as the SK for me. That is the power of Res-C weight distribution and handle comfort. So any blade larger than the DS6 with res-c is just going to chop even better. There is a reason so many of us love res-c for our users besides just the price efficiency. ;)

Yeah Imdefinitely a res-c chopper myself, I sold my last micarta chopper a while back. I just thought the SK MIGHt be able to hold its own in the chopping department but in hindsight it was silly putting it up against the b11.

I think my regulator might be a better chopper - it probably is because the regulator is no joke at all when it comes to chopping.

Back