1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Better chopper: Basic 11 or Silent Knight CF?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by DamascusBowie, May 5, 2018.

1. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Both are about the same length and size, the SK is a little heavier, 2-3 ounces or so mainly due to full tang and g10, but overall, similar size and of course, both are INFI. B11 is coated, while the SK is not.

So I know that the B11 is a monster chopper, but I thought the SK might be competitive because its slicier, slicker and maybe the cbt helps it, who knows.

What do you guys think? I ran a test today and I know the answer - I'll share it eventually, but I can tell you one thing - I was very surprised.

Mike Pierson likes this.
  2. boring

boring

Nov 28, 2005
    I don't have a sk, but the 1o and 11 are chopperific. what is the final verdict Mr Damascus?

3. DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    The B11 just left the SK in the dust, it wasnteven close. Not to fault the SK, its not meant to be a chopper, its very much a pure fighter but I wanted to try it out.

Now, I only ran one test, with identical pieces of wood, but what took me 75 seconds with the B!! toom me 3 minutes with the SK. It just wasntbiting the same, and it was harder to get a good chop in, mostly because of the curved blade.

The B11 blew the SK's doors off - but Ill be chopping them both a lot more tomorrow so we'll see how it really does. But so far, the B11 is the grand champ.

The B11 was only slightly, maybe 15-20% slower than my Gransfror bruk small forest axe which says a lot about the B11

Mike Pierson likes this.
  4. boring

boring

Nov 28, 2005
    cool. I will be watching to see updated results. I remember the first time I swung a basic 10. It feels like a feather, but hits like a hammer. with a very sharp edge...and stuff.

tom jones likes this.
  5. boring

boring

Nov 28, 2005
    and the 11, is a little heavier, but it has a great rep for a reason.

6. DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    Yeah, I'm in awe of the b11, it just works so well. It made my BB13 obsolete. I just want to test the BB13 against my forest axe and then Ill probably sell it.

7. boring

boring

Nov 28, 2005
    I still havn't knocked the new off my bb13 or hnws.

8. Midwest Firecraft

Midwest Firecraft

Sep 16, 2012
    Don't own a B11 so I don't know what type of edge they come with, but the SK is atrocious. Took me 4 hours to put a 20 degree bevel on the swedge part of the blade, but it chops and slices incredibly well for such a light blade.

9. DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    Iveused my BB13 a lot, its a total monster. I used it to process a giant oak tree stump, and it handles all the power one can give it. It dwarfs even the B11, but Ive decided that if any job is too big for the B11, its time for an axe or chainsaw :D

Will York likes this.
  10. boring

boring

Nov 28, 2005
    when I think chainsaw, I think ttkz or nmfbm...or stihl.

11. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Oddly enough I tried some chopping with the SK today. There's a sweet spot before the bottom curve where it's meat seems to be focused. Too far in or out and vibration comes on. It's no BM but I didn't expect it to be any more than it was. It's a sweet blade to handle though

12. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    The B-11 is a GREAT knife!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

13. TRog

TRog Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ive had, and used them all, alot of big choppers and ive had 2 b11's one with the basic handle and one that is way rarer with a res-c handle and the res-c handled b11 has been my favorite out of them all. Its a chopping beast and i wish i never would have sold it but thats life. Ive got a b8le and really like it chopping with a satin finish compared to a coated one. I wish i would have stripped the res-c handled b11 cause it would have been the ultimate Chopper IMO. The silent night looks awesome but I think after using it for a while your wrist and arm would get fatigued pretty quick with the Micarta/ g10 handles. It's hard to beat the res-c handle for chopping.

Will York likes this.
  14. AZTimT

AZTimT The Stripetition Finish Guy Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 15, 2009
    The Dog Soldier 6 chopped just as well as the SK for me. That is the power of Res-C weight distribution and handle comfort. So any blade larger than the DS6 with res-c is just going to chop even better. There is a reason so many of us love res-c for our users besides just the price efficiency. ;)

luethge and Will York like this.
  15. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    Imagine how well the ds12 is going to chop ...

tom jones likes this.
  16. DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    You are right about the sweet spot, which adds another degree of difficulty. It was still fun and i enjoyed throwing the SK around, I love that blade.

Yeah Imdefinitely a res-c chopper myself, I sold my last micarta chopper a while back. I just thought the SK MIGHt be able to hold its own in the chopping department but in hindsight it was silly putting it up against the b11.

I think my regulator might be a better chopper - it probably is because the regulator is no joke at all when it comes to chopping.