Better detents for liner-locks (and compression)

It seems that a lot of liner-lock knives could use a more positive detent to keep the blade in the closed position. This is from my own experience as well as from what others on the forums have said.

For example, I like my Spyderco Starmate a lot, (too bad Spyderco dropped it ( :( booo)) but the ball-bearing detent, while adequate, could be stronger. The same goes for other knives as well, probably a lot of them. On the other hand, the Buck Odyssey, ( also a very good knife, I have three, although Buck dropped the carbon-fibre model :( ), has a very positive and smooth-opening ball-bearing detent, better than Spyderco's, for example, at least in my experience. And if Buck can do it well, as opposed to adequately, the others should also be able to do it well, though they often don't.

So the moral of my story is this: You guys at the knife companies, ( you know who you are ), please do something about the detents on your knives to make them better. There's a real need for improvement in this area. Now. I'm waiting.

I'll be honest with you. The only knife that I think have ever opened in my pocket was my Small Sebbie. It was my fault too, I didn't have the pivot all the way tight. So, give tightening the pivot a shot, it will probably not be as smooth to open, but will probably hold the knife closed better.
Matt

Back