• CQC-7

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Horseman

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Don't buy an Emerson

Votes: 64 63.4%

• Total voters
Hello fellas

I'm looking at supplementing my collection with the addition of an Emerson. I'm looking for an all around tough EDC knife and cannot decide between the CQC7 and the Horseman. I'm curious if the chisel grind of the CQC or the "v" grind of the Horseman will better serve me on an everyday basis.

The CQC-7 is iconic, the blade shape and just the lines of whole knife are amazing. The chisel grind is intriguing, but worries me for a reason I just can't put my finger on.. (Asymmetrical blade design=OCD??)

The Horseman seems like the logical choice, with the normal-ish blade, but for some reason doesn't seem quite as stout. Another nagging thought lodged in my mind is if I go for the Horseman, should I just step up to the CQC-8?

Which ones do you prefer and why?

Thanks for spending the time to read my post :)

p.s. sorry if this post is a bit scatterbrained, I don't really have anyone to talk to about these types of (1st world) problems so all my thoughts tend to come out at once.

Out of the 2 id vote horseman. Only Emerson I own is the combat karambit. Nice knife, solid, good FF, but they're overpriced IMO. I like the chisel grind though personally, really easy to sharpen even if it isn't preferred as eye candy.

Hope you can decide on which one you like better :)

If you like the CQC-7, see if you can find an old Benchmade 970.

I had both the Emerson and the Benchmade version, and I found the Benchmade to be far superior.

Another nagging thought lodged in my mind is if I go for the Horseman, should I just step up to the CQC-8?

CQC-8 at the very least.
I went with the Super CQC-8...the regular one seemed a tad too puny for me. :D

I might pick up a CQC-8 for when I want a smaller knife though. ;)

I checked out a CQC-7 at the local gun store before...I did not buy it.
The chisel grind on that knife really didn't do it for me (although I don't mind it on my Combat Karambit).
Also, the chisel grind made the off-center blade grind the liner much more effectively...yay!

Now yes, I know it was likely a lemon, but even if it were a perfect specimen, I'd much prefer the CQC-8.
It looks better, the handle feels better, and it's a better blade for most uses. :thumbsup:

I suggest that if you want to try an Emerson... get an Emerson. None of the Emerson collabs will feel the same as a real Emerson. I've held them along with the Emerson knives they were based on. The others are good... no doubt about that. But they don't "feel" like a real Emerson if that's the feel you want to try out.

Of the two you mentioned, the Horseman is probably preferred by more people as a general-purpose everyday knife. IIRC, it'll be V-ground with a single secondary bevel instead of chisel-ground. If you really want to try a chisel grind, it'll have to be the CQC-7B.

There is an Emerson Knives forum that you could read up on and maybe repost your question . The hard core Emerson followers seem to have a strange love/ hate thing going . I like my Kershaw Emerson CQC-4KXL just fine . The real Emersons seem expensive and not very trouble-free judging from reviews (I don't have any ) .https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/emerson-knives.690/

Careful, they are addictive. Can be perceived at coarse but it is a part of the charm.
I'll go with the CQC-7 as it is the most iconic.
Otherwise I'll go with a CQC-15 or a Commander :)

If you want the V-grind of the Horseman (or CQC-8) but the blade shape and form factor of the CQC-7, you might consider a CQC-7V: It's a CQC-7, with wave, but V-ground (still chisel-edge, of course). I've EDCed one for a few months now, and I love it.

The 7V is my third Emerson and I've been pleased with all three of them. The 7 has a neutral, accommodating handle; the Horseman encourages a more specific grip. Both have good ergos, but for my hand it was no contest: the 7 has one of the most comfortable handles I've ever held. I love it.

I didn't love the tan scales on the stock 7V, which quickly pick up blue dye from jeans, so I tracked down a used one that had had a scale swap.

G1zsCq4.jpg

Hello fellas

I'm looking at supplementing my collection with the addition of an Emerson. I'm looking for an all around tough EDC knife and cannot decide between the CQC7 and the Horseman. I'm curious if the chisel grind of the CQC or the "v" grind of the Horseman will better serve me on an everyday basis.

The CQC-7 is iconic, the blade shape and just the lines of whole knife are amazing. The chisel grind is intriguing, but worries me for a reason I just can't put my finger on.. (Asymmetrical blade design=OCD??)

The Horseman seems like the logical choice, with the normal-ish blade, but for some reason doesn't seem quite as stout. Another nagging thought lodged in my mind is if I go for the Horseman, should I just step up to the CQC-8?

p.s. sorry if this post is a bit scatterbrained, I don't really have anyone to talk to about these types of (1st world) problems so all my thoughts tend to come out at once.

First of all let me say good thinkng. These are the two Emersons I would most recommend to someone trying them for the first time. They are smaller and easier to EDC.

I would say both are great knives. I personally prefer the cqc7 because I like that straighter handles work better in both forward and reverse grips, edge in or out. The Horseman is a sexy knife though. You can't really go wrong with either.

Also btw you can get the cqc7v which has a v grind. Please note that v grind Emersons still have a chisel edge. I tried reprofiling my cqc7v into a true v edge and accidentally put a recurve in it. My local Japanese sharpener fixed it up for me.

The one on top is the one reground into a true V edge.
niLB8tu.jpg

A mirror V edge.
OAg8VZD.jpg

HaclTeK.jpg

From this little excercise I learned there is almost no advantage to turning a V ground+chisel edge Emerson into a V ground+ V edge Emerson. They both cut very similar. The only difference is the V edge takes twice as long to sharpen.

Also please note many new Emersons come with lockstick. This goes away as they break in. That is because the lockbar is worn until a point where it is no longer sticks. At this point wear on the lock virtually stops. Emerson's linerlock is based on Michael Walker's, which considered lockstick a feature, not a defect.

Last edited:
Hello fellas

Chisel ground 7 for me is a hall of fame knife and one of my all time top 3.

I'd say get one, beat on it and enjoy it. I like how emersons are designed as tools first with a lot of thought gone into things that matter like ergonomics, ease of sharpening, ease of dissassembly, robustness etc.

The other big plus is the top notch warranty. Sure you might pay a bit more but anything goes wrong ,even years down the line, and you are covered.

I've owned six Emersons and still have three, including the two in your poll (my CQC-7 is the V version, though) and also a mini commander, and I voted "Don't buy an Emerson".

They're pretty crappy knives for the money. I've handled at least a dozen more than I've owned, and they're not just crappy, they're consistently crappy for their price point. Buying an Emerson means opting into:
  • Paying too much for too little
  • Dated materials and style
  • Lock issues (omnipresent lock stick, yes, but also lock failure in my experience--my CQC-7B would close as easily as a SAK even when "locked")
  • Terrible fit and finish--seriously, there are <$20 Kershaw knives that are built to higher quality standards
That said, if you have to get one I'd recommend the CQC-7V or Mini Commander models (assuming you don't hate the recurve). If you can, I'd recommend going to a brick and mortar that carries them so you can pick the one with the least objectionable fit and finish and lockup issues. After a bunch of trial and error I ended up with a second-hand 7V that had relatively little lock stick and I do like it enough to carry it semi-regularly. Here's a glamour shot of it wearing some RGT stars and stripes micarta scales (since then I've also swapped out the disc for one made from a federal .45 acp cartridge):

BB3qrSC.jpg

If you are dead set on an Emerson, I would suggest one of the ZT Emerson collaborations. Better materials, better build quality, and likely a lower price tag as they are in inventory liquidation from being discontued now. I would suggest one of the CF models because you can get them with an M390 (or American equivalent) blade, which will put Emerson 154cm to shame unless you are a mouth breather that treats your folder like a fixed blade.

I voted "Don't buy one". I found a great deal on a LNIB CQC 10 on another forum. Fit and finish was poor. Every time I opened it, used it, had other people look at it, I just kept thinking ..."This is what a $200 knife is like?" Although I only had a few months experience with the one knife, I just wasn't impressed. They are overprice imo. I sold it, broke even, and will never buy one again. That wave can tear up your pants too.

dkb45 has a good point above. Get an Emerson design made by ZT or a regular ZT. BM (Adamas) is another good choice.

If you aren't desperate for one in the next week, look for one off the exchange and save a few $.

If I absolutely had to pick one of your choices, I'd go Mini CQC-8 Horseman.

I have a CQC-7, Mini. That may be important, for context.

If you want to buy an Emerson, you should go somewhere and hold the exact one that you intend to buy, in your hand.

If it does not say "YES" when you have it, then don't buy it.

Of your two choices, go with the Horseman.

I believe you should buy what you want. Based on BF consensus, it might pay to handle one first. I don't know if that's possible.

Get a collab, I've had 4 Emersons and 6 collabs. Personally, I think the collabs are better, that said I know quite a few guys who I'm friends with who like their Emersons. I say try one and find out if it's for you.

Get a collab, I've had 4 Emersons and 6 collabs. Personally, I think the collabs are better, that said I know quite a few guys who I'm friends with who like their Emersons. I say try one and find out if it's for you.

Good point, we can't forget that Zemerson > Kemerson > Emerson, at least as far as quality goes.

I have one Emerson, a cqc10, which I like well enough. Very strong. Somewhat overpriced relative to the competition.
I don t personally like the wave feature. Never use it and it gets in the way with my iwb carry.
Today, if I wanted a sturdy user knife with 154 cm steel, I d get a Griptilian. Cheaper, lighter and probably as strong, with a better locking system. Ymmv.

Emerson was one of the first brands I saw and handled outside the Kershaw & CRKT budget price range of $10-50 and my take away was "There is no reason to buy a $300 knife these things are a rip off". I don't sing that same tune today as I have gotten to see an handle many different knives in many price ranges also I have more understanding of knives and what goes into them. I do still think an Emerson is overpriced this isn't to say they aren't good at all or that they are in the same class as the budget CRKT & Kershaws.

Back