Better steel version of skinning knife for filleting

I use this knife as my main fillet knife for cuts through the skin, deheading, separating fillets from ribs, i find cutting with the belly is much easier/safer especially as my eyes get old!

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-SB12-6-6-inch-Skinning-Knife/dp/B008RBSEMA

Tougher skinned fish like redfish, sheepshead, have me wanting a better version. Stainless would be preferred as I live in Fla and only saltwater fish. Knife does not go on the boat.

Thanks for suggestions and even what steel if I have one made.

Companion knives I use with it are an 8" breaking knife and 12" roast slicer for removing the skin depending on size of the fish.

Thanks!

I have always liked the Dexter skinner shape as it puts the belly up front on the blade. Whereas the Nessmuk pattern moves the belly curve to mid way of the blade. Which I've always scratched my head over. Some of the first Dexter looking pattern skinners appeared in later 1860's to early 1870's with the Michael Price California hunting knives. Belly forward with the hump. I think we've lost the history as to the reason for the hump. The Nessmuk looking pattern can be found in a Marbels Woodcraft model patented in 1916. I've used both these patterns and they work.
But prefer the Price style of belly forward. DM

WC, I like the breaking style blade as well in 9-10". A great shape for making those cuts. Buck did that pattern in a kitchen set
from 1972 with 440C steel and micarta handles. Locate a Empress Trio set and you'll have a first class set of knives to do the
processing you describe. DM

You would expect superior design the premium you had to pay for even an entry level Price knife. I like those old stag handled skinners.

Thanks David, the belly up front is what I prefer in the Dexter or the old Green Mountain buffalo skinning designs. Maybe I'll get a piece of "cheap" steel, shape it out on the mill/sander and send it out for heat treating.... maybe justify all the dand tools I have... :) or need to have. Will look around a bit more first

I would look at Forschner to start. R Murphy makes an old style butcher knife. I have a couple of their knives and like them. They use 420HC stainless which is certainly not the epitome of steel but they have good edges and sharpen up pretty easily.

Last edited:
I like this ^ idea.
WC, your welcome. There is a bit more to it than that. Should you decide to do it, the level of steel I'd consider to make it worth my time would be 440C. Look at Phoenix Heat Treaters to do the heat treatment for you. Once you have it shaped, holes
drill and edge thinned. Good luck, DM

:thumbsup: Yes, sorry I was being a bit sarcastic on the cheap steel comment. I have been reading all the different steel threads I can find related to fillet knives and other steel properties.

Tim

It's difficult to find a fillet knife in a high end steel but it's possible...if you want a truly fine fillet knife get Phil Wilson to make you one. His edges and heat treatment is the best in the business for thin blades. He is the designer of two of the Spyderco fixed blades in S90V, which wouldn't be a bad idea if the blades are long enough for your purposes. I had one of Phil's customs and regretted selling it, but they start around $400 or so.

Last edited:
I use this knife as my main fillet knife for cuts through the skin, deheading, separating fillets from ribs, i find cutting with the belly is much easier/safer especially as my eyes get old!

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-SB12-6-6-inch-Skinning-Knife/dp/B008RBSEMA

Tougher skinned fish like redfish, sheepshead, have me wanting a better version. Stainless would be preferred as I live in Fla and only saltwater fish. Knife does not go on the boat.

Companion knives I use with it are an 8" breaking knife and 12" roast slicer for removing the skin depending on size of the fish.

Thanks!
Warther makes some knives in S35v that are excellent, and Fallkniven has some in VG10. Check them out.

Buck makes a fillet knife for Cabela's with a coated S30V blade. A top shelf knife for salt water use. DM

Thanks!

One of the best steels to use for any fillet knife because of its toughness, high stain resistant, tough holding an edge very well is either an American or even better German 440C stainless steel. It's a ball bearing steel. High in carbon for edge retention, very high in chromium for staining, and good amount of Vanadium which takes impact if hitting a bone. Hope this helps in buying your next fillet knife.

f i had a tracing of the blade it woudl be no problem to make as i make lots of bull nose butcher style knives and boning knives in XHP at 62-63 rcView attachment 730221
WC, welcome to the Zoo!:p Butch does make some fine culinary blades!........ The reason most are made of So So steels is that the Fillet knife can end up over the side!... I recommend 440C of Better in SS Fillet blades ... we wish ya the best!:thumbsup:

most the ones i sell end up bein gused when back at the dock if i was goingto use on a boat on the water i wouddl have a tetherline to a float or a good lanyard

Hey kuttersknives41,
If you check the chemical composition of 440C I think you will find that it doesn't have any Vanadium.

Back