1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Beverages and Axes, Hatchets and Hawks

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by rockman0, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Cool man! You making some knife scales?

Meek1, A17 and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  2. AaronGP

AaronGP Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Yeah, I'm making a knife for my best friend. I taught her some whittling on a backpacking trip earlier this year and I think she might like to continue with it. It's a Morakniv HCS no. 2. I prefer a beefier knife, myself, but she's into the whole ultra-light thing, so this one will fit her better.

3. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I'd rather not single buck with a felling saw. You risk kinking the saw.

I like to hike in with trekking poles and everything tied to my pack. A 48" is the biggest that packs well. I have a 54" single buck that I need to finish sharpening before I can use it. I might try to find a way to rig it on a pack.

Most stuff on the trail will cut with the 48". And I carry a supplemental handle so that a 2nd sawyer can help. And if it's a log out then there are always plenty of larger saws.

Fmont, Yankee Josh and A17 like this.
  4. AaronGP

AaronGP Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Thinking about it, I suppose my perspective is based upon the fact that all of the real training I've gotten has been single bucking with five foot felling saws. The majority of my time on saw has been with Rick Zitzmann and Joe Hofbeck, both of whom single buck with felling saws. I've been inculcated by that experience.

As far as hiking with trekking poles, I've been thinking about how I'll be slinging my saws for easily carrying while moving. Of course that requires that I get all this rust off of my "new" saw :(

5. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019
    I love how this thread I just discovered already exists, and I didn't take these pics yesterday w/ intention of posting them anywhere lol.

Just messing around a bit w/ Arctic Fox puck to see how well it could establish a new edge on an old, 3.5lbs head that I think might be Plumb...Dayton? Or Connie?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A17, Meek1, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.
  6. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Dayton! Love the character on that axe!

Meek1, JoeP01 and Yankee Josh like this.
  7. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019
    Thanks man, me too. Old timer gave it to me for literally a buck at a flea market earlier this month. It also /literally/ has the hardest edge of any axe I've thus far worked on. Most of my files (which aren't exactly worn smooth & in need of acid baths) won't even cut it effectively lol. Hey thanks also for confirming it's Dayton. I'm new at this!

8. driemb

driemb

Apr 4, 2013