Beverages and Axes, Hatchets and Hawks

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by rockman0, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Cool man! You making some knife scales?

Meek1, A17 and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  2. AaronGP

AaronGP Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Yeah, I'm making a knife for my best friend. I taught her some whittling on a backpacking trip earlier this year and I think she might like to continue with it. It's a Morakniv HCS no. 2. I prefer a beefier knife, myself, but she's into the whole ultra-light thing, so this one will fit her better.

3. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I'd rather not single buck with a felling saw. You risk kinking the saw.

I like to hike in with trekking poles and everything tied to my pack. A 48" is the biggest that packs well. I have a 54" single buck that I need to finish sharpening before I can use it. I might try to find a way to rig it on a pack.

Most stuff on the trail will cut with the 48". And I carry a supplemental handle so that a 2nd sawyer can help. And if it's a log out then there are always plenty of larger saws.

Fmont, Yankee Josh and A17 like this.
  4. AaronGP

AaronGP Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Thinking about it, I suppose my perspective is based upon the fact that all of the real training I've gotten has been single bucking with five foot felling saws. The majority of my time on saw has been with Rick Zitzmann and Joe Hofbeck, both of whom single buck with felling saws. I've been inculcated by that experience.

As far as hiking with trekking poles, I've been thinking about how I'll be slinging my saws for easily carrying while moving. Of course that requires that I get all this rust off of my "new" saw :(

5. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019
    I love how this thread I just discovered already exists, and I didn't take these pics yesterday w/ intention of posting them anywhere lol.

Just messing around a bit w/ Arctic Fox puck to see how well it could establish a new edge on an old, 3.5lbs head that I think might be Plumb...Dayton? Or Connie?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A17, Meek1, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.
  6. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Dayton! Love the character on that axe!

Meek1, JoeP01 and Yankee Josh like this.
  7. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019
    Thanks man, me too. Old timer gave it to me for literally a buck at a flea market earlier this month. It also /literally/ has the hardest edge of any axe I've thus far worked on. Most of my files (which aren't exactly worn smooth & in need of acid baths) won't even cut it effectively lol. Hey thanks also for confirming it's Dayton. I'm new at this!

8. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
  9. driemb

driemb

Apr 4, 2013
  10. junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    [​IMG]

TJLyon711, JoeP01, Fmont and 10 others like this.
  11. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Grain orientation is PERFECT on that hatchet! Beautiful color too. I can't help but notice what used to be a DB. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind;
    How is it to swing? Does it have a tendency to wobble at all?
    And did you remove the other bit or did you acquire it that way?
    And lastly that's an ash stump right?

12. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I'd say oak stump, and I doubt that he removed the bit. It was probably and old topper who did that. I just got a toppers axe like that the other day, along with some other stuff I need to photograph and post.

13. junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Stump is green ash cut this spring.Got that double bit like that it’s an unbroken line flint edge and I haven’t noticed any kind of wobble,it’s a 24 1/2 inch handle suppose on a longer handle it might.Like it though used it a good bit this summer burning brush.

14. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Josh I have a db FE Western with a ruined side and I think we're thinking of similar projects :D

Yankee Josh likes this.
  15. junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    [​IMG]

DB_Cruiser, JoeP01, A17 and 5 others like this.
  16. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    Had this craftsman mini laying around for a couple of years, finally got the time and motivation to hang it. Had it almost fitted, needed to bring the head down 1/8" and wedge it. I was tapping the head off with a wood mallet when the haft split, new $3 handle from a flea market. I've got a couple of vintage hafts that need repurposing so that's my next move. 20200105_150359(0)_resized.jpg

junkenstien, A17, quinton and 2 others like this.
  17. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I feel for you man. I'm glad you had a beer right there to help you cope!
    Haha. I've had that happen a few times. It's a bummer for sure.

rockman0 likes this.
  18. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    Yeah I was done when it split, went straight to beer #2:D, it's a lot of tedious work reshaping a full size hatchet haft to that tiny eye. Much more useful tool on the bigger haft.

junkenstien and Yankee Josh like this.
  19. TJLyon711

TJLyon711 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Thread revival! I finally finished this project up this morning and had to celebrate with a beer and test chop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    ‘56 to ‘61 according to Mr Landin and the handles still rock solid.That permabond was wonderful stuff and so is the dragons milk. 4A28019F-B4BD-4E45-B927-CF59CE769B0F.jpeg