Beverages and Axes, Hatchets and Hawks

The pileup of projects and the tool for making it all seem manageable. In case you can't read the label, that's the Cask Strength edition of the 12 year old, coming in at a sweet and subtle 58.2% ABV.

projects_and_refreshment.jpg
Cool man! You making some knife scales?

You prefer single bucking with a 48-inch? I've used several of them, but I tend to prefer a 60-inch felling saw. I find that length great to single buck with and easy to double buck if needed. I'm currently rehabbing a really rusty 60-inch and a beautiful 72-inch. I'm eager to try single bucking with the latter too :cool:

I'd rather not single buck with a felling saw. You risk kinking the saw.

I like to hike in with trekking poles and everything tied to my pack. A 48" is the biggest that packs well. I have a 54" single buck that I need to finish sharpening before I can use it. I might try to find a way to rig it on a pack.

Most stuff on the trail will cut with the 48". And I carry a supplemental handle so that a 2nd sawyer can help. And if it's a log out then there are always plenty of larger saws.

I'd rather not single buck with a felling saw. You risk kinking the saw.

I like to hike in with trekking poles and everything tied to my pack. A 48" is the biggest that packs well. I have a 54" single buck that I need to finish sharpening before I can use it. I might try to find a way to rig it on a pack.

Most stuff on the trail will cut with the 48". And I carry a supplemental handle so that a 2nd sawyer can help. And if it's a log out then there are always plenty of larger saws.

Thinking about it, I suppose my perspective is based upon the fact that all of the real training I've gotten has been single bucking with five foot felling saws. The majority of my time on saw has been with Rick Zitzmann and Joe Hofbeck, both of whom single buck with felling saws. I've been inculcated by that experience.

As far as hiking with trekking poles, I've been thinking about how I'll be slinging my saws for easily carrying while moving. Of course that requires that I get all this rust off of my "new" saw :(

I love how this thread I just discovered already exists, and I didn't take these pics yesterday w/ intention of posting them anywhere lol.

Just messing around a bit w/ Arctic Fox puck to see how well it could establish a new edge on an old, 3.5lbs head that I think might be Plumb...Dayton? Or Connie?

Dmzpi9D.jpg

9XsHjHX.jpg

Dayton! Love the character on that axe!
Thanks man, me too. Old timer gave it to me for literally a buck at a flea market earlier this month. It also /literally/ has the hardest edge of any axe I've thus far worked on. Most of my files (which aren't exactly worn smooth & in need of acid baths) won't even cut it effectively lol. Hey thanks also for confirming it's Dayton. I'm new at this!

Had this craftsman mini laying around for a couple of years, finally got the time and motivation to hang it. Had it almost fitted, needed to bring the head down 1/8" and wedge it. I was tapping the head off with a wood mallet when the haft split, new $3 handle from a flea market. I've got a couple of vintage hafts that need repurposing so that's my next move. 20200105_150359(0)_resized.jpg

Had this craftsman mini laying around for a couple of years, finally got the time and motivation to hang it. Had it almost fitted, needed to bring the head down 1/8" and wedge it. I was tapping the head off with a wood mallet when the haft split, new $3 handle from a flea market. I've got a couple of vintage hafts that need repurposing so that's my next move. View attachment 1263742
I feel for you man. I'm glad you had a beer right there to help you cope!
Haha. I've had that happen a few times. It's a bummer for sure.

Yeah I was done when it split, went straight to beer #2:D, it's a lot of tedious work reshaping a full size hatchet haft to that tiny eye. Much more useful tool on the bigger haft.

Back