Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Well I understand the Marmite deal completely Jack Black Jack Black , just never could develop a taste for that. Got a whole counter top here in the kitchen of knife sheaths drying overnight. They will get sewn up today, 35 of them. I've got an Original Cask Strength bottle of 10 year old too besides the regular 10 yr old. That stuff makes the regular 10 yr old seem entry level. Around here its called Dave's gasoline.

Well I understand the Marmite deal completely Jack Black Jack Black , just never could develop a taste for that. Got a whole counter top here in the kitchen of knife sheaths drying overnight. They will get sewn up today, 35 of them. I've got an Original Cask Strength bottle of 10 year old too besides the regular 10 yr old. That stuff makes the regular 10 yr old seem entry level. Around here its called Dave's gasoline.

LOL! :D

A friend here once asked me to send him a large jar of Marmite! :D :thumbsup:

Eleven cask lines, twelve keg lines, and over 200 different bottled beers, according to their website - http://www.sheffieldtap.com/ - Lots of pics there too :) Hard to believe the space (the old First Class waiting rooms) was empty for decades. It is also above the confluence of the Rivers Porter and Sheaf :) :thumbsup:
Jack, I have more learning to do! :cool: I've seen you use the term "cask" in the past and assumed it was simply an English term for what I call a "keg". But the post quoted above indicates that "cask" and "keg" have different connotations! :eek: Would you be so kind as to clarify that difference for me? ;) Thanks! :thumbsup:

- GT

Please, I mean lets keep this in perspective its rotted yeast. Now blue cheese I like but rotted yeast.... no.

Cold that day. More than coffee in that cup!

DUFycDb.jpg

We're all wearing my knives but ya can't tell cause of our coats. But here is my daughter using mom's knife to make this bull calf a steer. Ya can tell its my daughter's hands doing the work. Most of my cowboys don't wear red finger nail polish!

4UjXnCO.jpg

Jack, I have more learning to do! :cool: I've seen you use the term "cask" in the past and assumed it was simply an English term for what I call a "keg". But the post quoted above indicates that "cask" and "keg" have different connotations! :eek: Would you be so kind as to clarify that difference for me? ;) Thanks! :thumbsup:

Traditionally, draught ales were served in British pubs with hand-operated pumps like this GT:

HallamshireHouse.jpg

In the 1970's the big breweries here wanted to serve beer which was easier to look after, with the help of CO2, through electric pumps. The beer was pretty horrible, nothing like some of the excellent keg beers served today ('Nitro-keg' beers are served with nitrogen, and generally pretty rotten in my opinion). Here's a page from the British Campaign for Real Ale which will hopefully explain the issue better than I can, even though arguably, their position may be a little out of date: http://www.camra.org.uk/faq :thumbsup:

Please, I mean lets keep this in perspective its rotted yeast. Now blue cheese I like but rotted yeast.... no.

When I was in my late teens, I spent a few months working in a brewery. At the end of the brewing process, the beer was filtered in a very archaic way. It was pumped through about 40 heavy cotton sheets, which had been stretched over 20 or so rusty old iron plates in an ancient press. After a couple of hours, we'd come back to the press, separate the hollow plates, and remove the sheets to be washed. We'd scrape this mud-like gunk off the sheets, and throw it into a rusty old oil drum. When full, the drums would be rolled round the corner to a loading platform, where they'd sit uncovered for up to a week. Then, once a week, the Marmite man would come and collect them! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Traditionally, draught ales were served in British pubs with hand-operated pumps like this GT:

HallamshireHouse.jpg

In the 1970's the big breweries here wanted to serve beer which was easier to look after, with the help of CO2, through electric pumps. The beer was pretty horrible, nothing like some of the excellent keg beers served today ('Nitro-keg' beers are served with nitrogen, and generally pretty rotten in my opinion). Here's a page from the British Campaign for Real Ale which will hopefully explain the issue better than I can, even though arguably, their position may be a little out of date: http://www.camra.org.uk/faq :thumbsup:

When I was in my late teens, I spent a few months working in a brewery. At the end of the brewing process, the beer was filtered in a very archaic way. It was pumped through about 40 heavy cotton sheets, which had been stretched over 20 or so rusty old iron plates in an ancient press. After a couple of hours, we'd come back to the press, separate the hollow plates, and remove the sheets to be washed. We'd scrape this mud-like gunk off the sheets, and throw it into a rusty old oil drum. When full, the drums would be rolled round the corner to a loading platform, where they'd sit uncovered for up to a week. Then, once a week, the Marmite man would come and collect them! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Is this where you're getting ready for the Sheffield Derby Jack? I'm going to watch it here on ESPN (playing with my American Jack, of course).

Is this where you're getting ready for the Sheffield Derby Jack? I'm going to watch it here on ESPN (playing with my American Jack, of course).

I just put 'hand-pump beer' into a Google image search, but as it turns out, that pub is in Sheffield, just up the road from where I lived for 10 years, and I know it extremely well! I only realised when I pasted the image code here! :D It is a couple of miles from Hillsborough, so solid Sheffield Wednesday territory! :D Enjoy the match my friend, Up The Owls! :D ;) :thumbsup:

At least it served a higher purpose Jack, before being relegated to the dustbin of well deserved obscurity Marmite! Ya can tell my tablet isn't very British, it keeps autocorrecting Marmite to Marmots. Jack Black Jack Black

Unfamiliar with those but recognize The Lion Rampant obviously Jack Black Jack Black . I always liked the chocolate digestive biscuits though.

You are probably right JTB_5 JTB_5 . They are big ugly high altitude rodents that will eat the wiring of your vehicle if ya leave it parked too long in one spot Jack. Ask me how I know.

Unfamiliar with those but recognize The Lion Rampant obviously Jack Black Jack Black . I always liked the chocolate digestive biscuits though.

You are probably right JTB_5 JTB_5 . They are big ugly high altitude rodents that will eat the wiring of your vehicle if ya leave it parked too long in one spot Jack. Ask me how I know.

They don't call rodents varmints for nothing, do they! Sounds like the way squirrels like to operate down here in the South.

I thought you might have come across them in Scotland Dave, where along with Tunnock's Teacakes, they are nearly as iconic as Irn Bru - witness scenes from the 2014 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony in Glasgow (below)! :eek: Honestly, this is not something I've created with Photoshop! :D

tunnocks-teacake-dancers--1406149719-view-0.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnock's

I’ve got some outdoor chores to attend to while the weather is nice. I thought I’d take a break to snap a pic of my everyday water bottle that’s with me—full of my favorite all-day-long beverage (water; usually several quarts a day)—and my everyday Lambsfoot.

RhXZG5hh.jpg

Happy Friday. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Back