Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

6k0VHh9.jpg

A word to the wise: Do not use a slim, slicey blade like the one on this Opinel No. 8 to cut the wrapper around a cork bottle stopper. It sliced deeply enough that the cork part of the cap twisted off and had to be pushed into the bottle (you can see it next to the drink glass) and a silicone stopper substituted. Not fatal to the bottle nor the evening, but a misuse of the knife, nonetheless. Be better, Grasshoppers.

SIvlFxn.jpg

- Stuart

A word to the wise: Do not use a slim, slicey blade like the one on this Opinel No. 8 to cut the wrapper around a cork bottle stopper. It sliced deeply enough that the cork part of the cap twisted off and had to be pushed into the bottle (you can see it next to the drink glass) and a silicone stopper substituted. Not fatal to the bottle nor the evening, but a misuse of the knife, nonetheless. Be better, Grasshoppers.

SIvlFxn.jpg

- Stuart

....or take it as an omen to invite some friends over and drain the bottle!

....or take it as an omen to invite some friends over and drain the bottle!

That's how I got it as low as it is, starting the "night of the slice". The silicone stopper works well and I have a 1.75 liter back-up, so I'm going to leave the cork in the bottle as a conversation piece, and move on. We will keep fighting the omen, though.
- Stuart

SIvlFxn.jpg

- Stuart
This is the tool to use when such problem happen. It works with any cork issue, rotten, broken or simply to open a bottle. Personally I would not leave the cork in the liquid for fear it spoils the taste. Better transfer in a clean bottle, or better , follow Markeologist's advice. ;)
Sanbri.jpg

This is the tool to use when such problem happen. It works with any cork issue, rotten, broken or simply to open a bottle. Personally I would not leave the cork in the liquid for fear it spoils the taste. Better transfer in a clean bottle, or better , follow Markeologist's advice. ;)

Thanks, my friend, and I have that tool, but couldn't find it when I sliced. Following Markeologist's sage words, I have just about finished the bottle. My post may have been misleading: I do have a large bottle back-up, but I will be getting a new smaller FULL bottle without the cork garnish for my bar. Cheers!
- Stuart

On Vince's ( Prester John Prester John ) recommendation :cool::thumbsup::cool:, I've been drinking this 2 or 3 times per week lately:
View attachment 1129502

- GT
Glad you like it, Gary. First drank it on draught in an old inn in Annapolis right after Christmas 1988. Supposedly George Washington had stayed there. Loved it. Found it in south Texas within a couple of years, and have been drinking it 30 years now. It may be my favourite American beer, with the possible exception of Anchor Steam.

SIvlFxn.jpg

- Stuart
A friend of mine says - "The cork is for shipping purposes only." :D

On Vince's ( Prester John Prester John ) recommendation :cool::thumbsup::cool:, I've been drinking this 2 or 3 times per week lately:

I agree that it is a fine quaff. Try Yuengling Lager for comparison. Yuengling, founded in Pottsville, PA in 1829, is our nation's longest continuing brewery. The lager is their classic, but their porter is my favorite (and not easy to find).

Easy drinking stout. Light on the coffee, at least on my pallet. Very good brew:thumbsup:

I almost grabbed a 6 pack of Shiner...I will soon.

If you are drinking a pallet of stout, you can easily handle a 6 pack of Shiner.

A friend of mine says - "The cork is for shipping purposes only." :D

Your friend is my lodestar. (BTW, that Buffalo Trace bottle is dry and at the back door.)

I thought that I would slip into an old reliable port(er) tonight:

DL1UKlM.jpg

- Stuart

I agree that it is a fine quaff. Try Yuengling Lager for comparison. Yuengling, founded in Pottsville, PA in 1829, is our nation's longest continuing brewery. The lager is their classic, but their porter is my favorite (and not easy to find).

If you are drinking a pallet of stout, you can easily handle a 6 pack of Shiner.

Your friend is my lodestar. (BTW, that Buffalo Trace bottle is dry and at the back door.)

I thought that I would slip into an old reliable port(er) tonight:

DL1UKlM.jpg

- Stuart
:D:eek: you know what I meant to say...my apologies...palate!

Back