Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Happy Birthday to Michael O'Shaughnessy (birth date May 28, 1864) who designed, engineered, and built a water system to last the ages in the days when a slide rule was as high tech as you got. The system he built supplies the water to make one of the all time great beers which also happens to be the original craft beer...Anchor Steam!!!

uUyIhQB.jpg

Happy Birthday to Michael O'Shaughnessy (birth date May 28, 1864) who designed, engineered, and built a water system to last the ages in the days when a slide rule was as high tech as you got. The system he built supplies the water to make one of the all time great beers which also happens to be the original craft beer...Anchor Steam!!!

uUyIhQB.jpg
I think Anchor Steam may be the best beer. For me, it's up there with Guinness, Samuel Adams, Chimay, and the Samuel Smith beers.

uUyIhQB.jpg
What a cool pic.

The beer is Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager. Surprisingly good (for Budweiser). ;)

I can't begin to tell you how little I care for IPA beer. But I'm no fan of Budweiser.

Hey Dwight,

The Freedom Reserve Red Lager isn't *Butt-Dumber* Beer ;) it was only bottled by AB for a limited release.

It is inspired by George Washington's personal beer recipe and has a tie-in with American veterans.

“Freedom Reserve Red Lager is the second specialty lager to appear in Budweiser’s Reserve Collection and is inspired by George Washington’s hand-penned recipe from his personal military journal dating back to 1757.”

BTW, It is Outstanding! :D:D

Otherwise, Casa de Oro is AB & IPA free! ;)
Although my attitude toward both IPA and The King of Beers is quite similar to Dwight's, I decided to follow the recommendations of Barret and Del regarding the Bud Red Lager.
imp.toothpick.Vopen.bud.dscvryrsrv.jpg
As the pic shows, the version I bought is "Discovery Reserve", with a recipe dating back to the time of the Apollo space missions, but still a red lager.

I like it! :thumbsup::) It does not taste at all like (my memory of) BudRICER, which 45 years ago was one of two American lagers that I thought I could distinguish from other American lagers. (I thought they all tasted the same back then, so I'd buy whatever was cheapest. The exceptions in my mind were Budweiser, with an identifiably bad taste, and Pabst Blue Ribbon, with an identifiably good taste.) The Bud Discovery Reserve reminds me of Killian's, which is perhaps my favorite lager.

- GT

Although my attitude toward both IPA and The King of Beers is quite similar to Dwight's, I decided to follow the recommendations of Barret and Del regarding the Bud Red Lager.
View attachment 1137928
As the pic shows, the version I bought is "Discovery Reserve", with a recipe dating back to the time of the Apollo space missions, but still a red lager.

I like it! :thumbsup::) It does not taste at all like (my memory of) BudRICER, which 45 years ago was one of two American lagers that I thought I could distinguish from other American lagers. (I thought they all tasted the same back then, so I'd buy whatever was cheapest. The exceptions in my mind were Budweiser, with an identifiably bad taste, and Pabst Blue Ribbon, with an identifiably good taste.) The Bud Discovery Reserve reminds me of Killian's, which is perhaps my favorite lager.

- GT
No accounting for taste, Gary. I know Bud is not on the same level as Sam Adams, for example, but I've been drinking it off and on for over 40 years. It's been consistent, unlike Lone Star Beer, which changed when the San Antonio brewery closed. It's made somewhere else now and tastes nothing like it used to. But I like the rice adjunct in Budweiser. It gives it a crisp, clean taste "you will find in no other beer at any price." ;) And the Beechwood aging! Had three at the ballgame last Sunday and loved them. Never cared for Pabst.

That 101 was my first bourbon back in the '70s, and it's still my favorite.
I remember it being on my friends Granddads liquor cart growing up. About 12 years ago a customer gave me a bottle for Christmas and it was so awesome!
It’s great for backpacking too!
I agree 100%. It's funny you say that. This past weekend while I was backpacking, I made the claim I was going to hike the entire AT when I retire and carry WT 101 with me the entire time. :D

Edited for late night pic. WT 101 for the win.
kJKrYKvh.jpg

Last edited:
Back