Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

qlznfhi.jpg

@Markeologist
No apology necessary my friend.
Interesting bit of brew history ..thank you.
Jamea Squire is v popular ...its the brainchild of Chuck Hahn an American who began Hahn brewery in maybe the early 90s...it was a micro brewery but got so popular he sold out to Carlton United..a massive industrial brewer..Chuck started Malt Shovel brewery MSB ..historically James Squires original brewery in the convict days...it has morphed into the James Squire range of today. Hop Thief, 150 Lashes, Nine Tales, they do a good range ..porter through to pilsener, and hoppy ipa, lager, etc
Go e em a try
Cheers
Tell me more about that knife D Duckdog ? I dont usually care for engraved bolsters but yours looks great.

Well, forgot to take pics of beer with knife, but enjoyed a Modelo Especial at Mi Tierra bar this afternoon (my wife had a Shiner Bock).
1gTaD5H.jpg

mAjhH2X.jpg

Enjoying some Australian wine now at the hotel: Yellowtail Cabernet Sauvignon.
R8vvjIe.jpg

Heading back to Mi Tierra for breakfast, then may visit one or two of the historic San Antonio missions before heading home to the Texas coast.

Last edited:
:D
This post just put a huge smile on my face. :thumbsup:

Thanks Taylor :) :D :thumbsup:

I think you'd have enjoyed yourself at Leeds Beer Festival (I'll try and remember to send you the programme) :thumbsup:

X57LSrb.jpg

R8vvjIe.jpg

Heading back to Mi Tierra for breakfast, then may visit one or two of the historic San Antonio missions before heading home to the Texas coast.

Blimey Vince, that's a coincidence, I drink a lot of Aussie wine, and was going to crack open a bottle of that exact same wine earlier, but decided to go for Valley Way Barossa Valley Shiraz instead :thumbsup:

I'm now having dessert ;) :thumbsup:

f0qRmvI.jpg

Well, forgot to take pics of beer with knife, but enjoyed a Modelo Especial at Mi Tierra bar this afternoon (my wife had a Shiner Bock).
cHh43RM.jpg

mAjhH2X.jpg

R8vvjIe.jpg

Did y'all make it over to the Pearl district? Kind of interesting, with some quirky shops and eateries.

We went to one of the missions the last time we were there, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. It had a pretty cool window, carved in stone... I think they called it the Rose Window, but you know how memory is...

Did y'all make it over to the Pearl district? Kind of interesting, with some quirky shops and eateries.

We went to one of the missions the last time we were there, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. It had a pretty cool window, carved in stone... I think they called it the Rose Window, but you know how memory is...
I've been to the Pearl district before. It used to be the Pearl Brewery, but they've converted it, as you said, to a shopping and dining district. The other San Antonio brewery, Lone Star, also closed years ago. They had a Buckhorn Saloon and Hall of Horns, with interesting exhibits. The museum part has been moved downtown near the Alamo.

There are five missions, if you count the Alamo, along the San Antonio River. There is a hiking and cycling trail now that connects them. I think it's about ten miles long. You went to Mission San José, which is in the best condition. The best one to see after the Alamo. But I've been there a few times, so today I went to Mission Espada, the southernmost one. Much of it is in ruins, but the church still stands, and is still being used for Mass.
vLGxCz7.jpg

75Tkefa.jpg

YXizvm6.jpg

5BlELQb.jpg

G5gwbY6.jpg

Unrelated to the Mission, but related to beverages, I saw this sign in the west side of San Antonio while driving to breakfast downtown:
QLSH3LK.jpg

I wasn't sure if the lower sign meant the restaurant had a bar AND a drive-thru, or if it was a drive-thru bar! Didn't stop, but after visiting Mission Espada, we went to see the Espada aquaduct nearby, but the entrance to the parking lot was closed. We could still see some of it from the car. But nearby, maybe 100 yards, was a beer garden called "Aquaduck." We stopped in for a couple of cold ones on a hot day (100 degrees F).
All in all, a nice three-day vacation.

And here's a knife:
2I3m9LY.jpg

(Didn't get pics of the beers. Sorry.)

Evening Gents,

Bourbon has always been my drink of choice, but for the last year I’ve taken the journey into traditionally made additive free tequila and I regret nothing. Once upon a time I thought Jose Cuervo was the standard and I hated it. Since discovering real tequilas like Fortaleza, Ocho, and G4 I’ve learned that there are products proudly made which rival the best bourbons I’ve tasted.

As for the blades... A Lambsfoot is in my pocket no matter what else I carry.

256E8C25-F9A1-4B4E-83D6-6C088D8B6C17.jpeg

I like a good tequila, but it's not an everyday sip for me... more like occasional, for a change.
I'm a whisky (..ey?) kind of guy. I like most whiskeys... Scotch, Irish, Tennessee, Canadian. Bourbon is ok, but is usually a little harsher than I like. Ok, I'm a wimp...

This was last evening's pairing... naked grouse from the Famous Grouse folks, and an Opinel #6 as the traditional...

Opinel%20naked%20grouse_zpsbzpjieyl.jpg

I've been to the Pearl district before. It used to be the Pearl Brewery, but they've converted it, as you said, to a shopping and dining district. The other San Antonio brewery, Lone Star, also closed years ago. They had a Buckhorn Saloon and Hall of Horns, with interesting exhibits. The museum part has been moved downtown near the Alamo.

There are five missions, if you count the Alamo, along the San Antonio River. There is a hiking and cycling trail now that connects them. I think it's about ten miles long. You went to Mission San José, which is in the best condition. The best one to see after the Alamo. But I've been there a few times, so today I went to Mission Espada, the southernmost one. Much of it is in ruins, but the church still stands, and is still being used for Mass.
vLGxCz7.jpg

75Tkefa.jpg

YXizvm6.jpg

5BlELQb.jpg

G5gwbY6.jpg

Unrelated to the Mission, but related to beverages, I saw this sign in the west side of San Antonio while driving to breakfast downtown:
QLSH3LK.jpg

I wasn't sure if the lower sign meant the restaurant had a bar AND a drive-thru, or if it was a drive-thru bar! Didn't stop, but after visiting Mission Espada, we went to see the Espada aquaduct nearby, but the entrance to the parking lot was closed. We could still see some of it from the car. But nearby, maybe 100 yards, was a beer garden called "Aquaduck." We stopped in for a couple of cold ones on a hot day (100 degrees F).
All in all, a nice three-day vacation.

And here's a knife:
2I3m9LY.jpg

(Didn't get pics of the beers. Sorry.)

Yes... that's the one... San Jose. That is a really nice lambsfoot... is that an A. Wright? I ordered one directly from them in ebony. I don't know when it will arrive, but they already charged my card for it, so I assume it's coming...

Yes... that's the one... San Jose. That is a really nice lambsfoot... is that an A. Wright? I ordered one directly from them in ebony. I don't know when it will arrive, but they already charged my card for it, so I assume it's coming...
Thanks. Yes, It's an A. Wright.

Back