Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I get the impression that the English don't much use teapots any more either. Electric kettles and mugs instead.
I paid $20 for this yesterday. Not my idea of cheap, but the ladies who've been running that antique mall for three years are hanging it up the end of August, so I was feeling sentimental.
And it's unscratched, unchipped, uncracked, probably unused. I never heard of Gibson's, in a pottery context, but I've heard of Staffordshire.
So, just breaking it in.
quV7Yrp.jpg

I get the impression that the English don't much use teapots any more either. Electric kettles and mugs instead.
I paid $20 for this yesterday. Not my idea of cheap, but the ladies who've been running that antique mall for three years are hanging it up the end of August, so I was feeling sentimental.
And it's unscratched, unchipped, uncracked, probably unused. I never heard of Gibson's, in a pottery context, but I've heard of Staffordshire.
So, just breaking it in.
quV7Yrp.jpg

Less common than before the invention of tea-bags, but still fairly common, certainly in the north :thumbsup: Nice find Jer, and it's nice to see Old Toffee Wings ;) :thumbsup:

N2avgpE.jpg

b6vpJfX.jpg

Less common than before the invention of tea-bags, but still fairly common, certainly in the north :thumbsup: Nice find Jer, and it's nice to see Old Toffee Wings ;) :thumbsup:

N2avgpE.jpg

b6vpJfX.jpg
I wonder if "DON'T MESS WITH YORKSHIRE" was inspired by the "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS" anti-littering slogan?

Sometimes Nolan Ryan signed photos of the following fight and added "Don't mess with Texas!" below his signature.

Thanks.
My cousin's wife seemed surprised to see a teapot when they were visiting, from which I over-generalized.

My Great Aunt Edie said that when we first sent teabags over there during the war, they thought it was an awful bother to open the little bags to get out the tea.
OMt1roN.jpg

I stumbled into the toils of an appraiser while trying to research the pot: It was made in the 1950s, and the low end of wholesale value is a little more than I paid for it. The expert cost me another $5, but she was worth it.
"Fine teas since 1890"- Gramma was three years old.

Last edited:
Drinking "Yerba Mate" tea in a traditional gourd. They say upwards of 90 % of people from Argentina and Uruguay drink it daily. It's part of the culture and a sort of ritual. I drank it alone for many years after leaving my native Argentina but recently my Cuban wife, after 23 years of marriage got hooked on it.
Here we are sharing it at the beach :)
loOuP6F.jpg

Drinking "Yerba Mate" tea in a traditional gourd. They say upwards of 90 % of people from Argentina and Uruguay drink it daily. It's part of the culture and a sort of ritual. I drank it alone for many years after leaving my native Argentina but recently my Cuban wife, after 23 years of marriage got hooked on it.
loOuP6F.jpg

Nice to see a mate gourd here! I'm glad you're now able to enjoy it with your wife. I developed a taste for it while visiting Argentina a few years ago and still buy it from time to time to have at home.

I wonder if "DON'T MESS WITH YORKSHIRE" was inspired by the "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS" anti-littering slogan?

Sometimes Nolan Ryan signed photos of the following fight and added "Don't mess with Texas!" below his signature.

I would think it definitely was Vince :) A Texan friend of mine actually worked at the Northern Monk Brewery at the time they started doing it, but it seems to be a bit of a 'brand', and may pre-date him being there (he now works for another Leeds brewery) :thumbsup:

Thanks.
My cousin's wife seemed surprised to see a teapot when they were visiting, from which I over-generalized.

My Great Aunt Edie said that when we first sent teabags over there during the war, they thought it was an awful bother to open the little bags to get out the tea.
OMt1roN.jpg

I stumbled into the toils of an appraiser while trying to research the pot: It was made in the 1950s, and the low end of wholesale value is a little more than I paid for it. The expert cost me another $5, but she was worth it.
"Fine teas since 1890"- Gramma was three years old.

That's so funny Jer! :D When I was a kid, we didn't have a tea-strainer for some reason. Many other households seemed to be the same, or maybe they just didn't use them. As a result, to this day, I habitually leave the last couple of mouthfuls of a hot beverage in the cup :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly, Vince!

3kzXbb5h.jpg

Please excuse the non sequitur of the California beer. I don't have anything from Texas other than BBQ sauce in my fridge at the moment. ;)

Cool pic Greg :) :thumbsup:

loOuP6F.jpg

I haven't had that for the best part of 10 years, but used to enjoy it from time to time while visiting friends in France and Spain, who had acquired a taste for it on their own travels :)

Great pic Dylan, early evening here and I'm not sure whether to crack open a beer, open a bottle of wine, or start mixing cocktails! :D :thumbsup:

When I was a kid, we didn't have a tea-strainer for some reason.
Maybe tea-strainers were for effete aesthetes.

I have the idea that Grampa called the tea-leaves that got into the cup "tiddlers". He was East Acton born and raised. Must go back to pre-teabag days, I suppose. He was in this country in time for a great depression in 1909 or so. (He wasn't impressed by 1929, having had it worse.)

I had one tall and one short Two-Hearted today. I needed to shock my metabolism into losing more weight faster. Anyway, Saturday is still but once a week.

Good to see you, Barrett! :) Are the fish biting?
The weather forecast I've seen for this week suggests I should pick up some Kölsch-style beer ASAP. Given my affinity for the canoe pattern, I'll probably go with Leinie Canoe Paddler!
View attachment 1161607

- GT

Thanks, GT! The fishing has been pretty good. I'm still learning how to fish the lakes up here -- MN's natural lakes are a lot different than the man-made reservoirs I grew up fishing in AR -- but I'm getting the hang of it.

I love a good Kölsch, especially on a warm summer day! :thumbsup:

Back