Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I usually drink some Leinie Oktoberfests during the first 2 weeks of August while away on vacation, but this year they weren't available while we were there. But I picked up a 12-pack a couple of weeks ago in my usual grocery store. I was there again today, and noticed they had a display of many brands of Octoberfest. I think I'll sample quite a variety over the next month and a half.
imp.BSA.white.leinie.Okt.fest.jpg

- GT

Last edited:
That beer looks good, Greg, even though I don't like IPA's!

Thanks, Vince! I appreciate the comment.

In the interest of full disclosure, despite it's looks, I'm quite sure you'd change your mind if you took a sip. :) But.... I did bring home an IPA that is a bit different and that a non-IPA fan might actually enjoy. I'll show it here eventually.

Doing my part to help clean out the fridge this evening ;)

hnGaDgQ.jpg

Great photo. I bet the beer was tasty, and that li'l lambsfoot looks so good. :thumbsup:

Oh! Bitters are a great idea there. I'd do that automatically with a mule, but I hadn't thought of using them without the lime in a ginger and bourbon. Mental note made.

Nice little mini trapper. The coloring of the handles goes so well with the rest of the photo. :thumbsup:

Great drink, I also like it with Ginger Beer (you can even get Ginger Beer 5.2% alcohol for extra vroom:D) Kentucky Mule style:thumbsup: Intrigued by many pictures I see of tumblers with giant ice chunks, how are they made? Ice machine?

Thanks, Will

I know Stuart already answered, but I'll throw in my two cents as well. I have a silicone ice tray that has big cubes. Depending on the drink, I'll use one or two cubes in a tumbler.

VWOeBPuh.jpg

Pure Americana right there. :thumbsup:

That's a tasty one. But, man, what an apt name. That stuff is strong.

Gorgeous beer scout (or, radio knife?)! looks like it's one with a clip blade? So lovely.

A new whiskey for me today.

mjHX16w.jpg

Great photo! I don't think I've tried their whisky, but I have tried their Dan Dan Ale, which, IIRC, is their Dead Guy Ale aged in Dead Guy Whiskey barrels. It was great!

...that means another for me to try. I’ve been sampling your pictured whiskeys for awhile!!!

I hope I haven't steered you wrong... Still making up my mind on this one.

Great photo! I don't think I've tried their whisky, but I have tried their Dan Dan Ale, which, IIRC, is their Dead Guy Ale aged in Dead Guy Whiskey barrels. It was great!

Thank you, Greg. I do enjoy their Dead Guy Ale. It doesn't fit in well with the IPA craze right now but it makes for a nice change of pace. I'll have to look out for the Dan Dan, I don't think I've had it.

A bit of Shiraz for me this evening.

Z3Jcu04.jpg

Thank you, Greg. I do enjoy their Dead Guy Ale. It doesn't fit in well with the IPA craze right now but it makes for a nice change of pace. I'll have to look out for the Dan Dan, I don't think I've had it.

A bit of Shiraz for me this evening.

Z3Jcu04.jpg

I fear I may have put you on a wild goose chase, Dylan. I bought a bottle from the brewpub maybe 8 years ago. Perhaps it was a limited release. The name Dan Dan referred to the first names of the head brewer and head distiller. Unfortunately, I can't find any reference to it now.

On a happy note, I share your appreciation for Shiraz. That's quite a goblet.

May I please ask of the knife? I'm thrown off by the scout shield...

I usually drink some Leinie Oktoberfests during the first 2 weeks of August while away on vacation, but this year they weren't available while we were there. But I picked up a 12-pack a couple of weeks ago in my usual grocery store. I was there again today, and noticed they had a display of many brands of Octoberfest. I think I'll sample quite a variety over the next month and a half.
View attachment 1194916

- GT
The Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is really good! I bought a six pack. Will be indulging soon!

Oh! Bitters are a great idea there. I'd do that automatically with a mule, but I hadn't thought of using them without the lime in a ginger and bourbon. Mental note made.

Nice little mini trapper. The coloring of the handles goes so well with the rest of the photo. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Greg. Yes, you can mix various bitters into that combination with some fun.

I know Stuart already answered, but I'll throw in my two cents as well. I have a silicone ice tray that has big cubes. Depending on the drink, I'll use one or two cubes in a tumbler.

VWOeBPuh.jpg

That is a much more reasonable sized ice cube maker. though the larger one (2" x 2", I think) does have its unique uses.
- Stuart

Last edited:
The Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is really good! I bought a six pack. Will be indulging soon!
Taylor, I saw that one at the store this week, and will definitely pick up a 12-pack in the next week or two. This week I passed on it in favor of a couple of German imports. ;)

- GT

Taylor, I saw that one at the store this week, and will definitely pick up a 12-pack in the next week or two. This week I passed on it in favor of a couple of German imports. ;)

- GT
Can't go wrong with the real deal!

I fear I may have put you on a wild goose chase, Dylan. I bought a bottle from the brewpub maybe 8 years ago. Perhaps it was a limited release. The name Dan Dan referred to the first names of the head brewer and head distiller. Unfortunately, I can't find any reference to it now.

On a happy note, I share your appreciation for Shiraz. That's quite a goblet.

May I please ask of the knife? I'm thrown off by the scout shield...

Are you sure it wasn't Dead 'N' Dead? Or maybe it was a variant/limited release of this, as you said.

Aged in Dead Guy Whiskey Barrels, Dead N' Dead is the evolution of Dead Guy Ale. The barrels enhance the robust malt and hop profiles of original Dead Guy Ale. The ale soaks in hints of oak and whiskey while maturing over several months at the Rogue ocean aging room.

I got the knife from Sarah (pertinux) awhile back. This is the info I know about it. Not sure that it is particularly rare but I always felt it was one of my better snags.

8PTlB4z.jpg

Are you sure it wasn't Dead 'N' Dead? Or maybe it was a variant/limited release of this, as you said.

Positive. I ran across a press release for Dead 'N' Dead while I was searching for information on the one I tried. Looks like DnD was released in 2017. The one I tried was maybe five years before that.

I am doubting the name, though. It looks like my story about Dan being the first name of the head brewer and head distiller doesn't check out. Oh well. :oops:

Sounds like Dead 'N' Dead is the same idea, though. :thumbsup:

I got the knife from Sarah (pertinux) awhile back. This is the info I know about it. Not sure that it is particularly rare but I always felt it was one of my better snags.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Another souvenir from Bend, Oregon:

8J2KYysh.jpg

Crux Fermentation Project is on the Bend Ale Trail, but I did not make it to their brewery. I still wanted to try something from them, so I brought this one home.

Prester John Prester John , if there is ever going to be an IPA that you’ll enjoy, this one may be it. Definitely not your stereotypical hop bomb. I quite like it. Here’s what they say about it:

CMjdTy6h.jpg

Y’all are probably getting tired of seeing that lambsfoot, but it was in my pocket when I bought the can and again when I opened the can, so I thought it might as well get a spot in the photo. ;) I’ll change it up soon. :)

Prester John Prester John , if there is ever going to be an IPA that you’ll enjoy, this one may be it. Definitely not your stereotypical hop bomb. I quite like it. Here’s what they say about it:

CMjdTy6h.jpg
I'll keep an eye out for it, Greg. Bought some Spaten Premium Lager from Germany tonight. (Bought beer and whiskey--it's payday!) Will try to remember to take pics when I have beer tomorrow--probably during the Notre Dame game. Go Irish!

Back