Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I have Pàdruig Pàdruig to thank for this one:

PR7ySPoh.jpg

From his comments a while back:

I knew I had to seek it out when I was in Bend over Labor Day weekend. Fortunately Sunriver has a brewpub within walking distance of where I was staying. As Dylan said, it's a solid IPA and I enjoyed it a lot. So much so that a six pack found its way into my cooler to be transported back to my beer fridge at home. :)

I'm happy you find it to your liking, Greg. The PNW in general is rather over saturated with IPAs so I try to make a note of the good ones when I come across them. That one is easy drinking without being too boring.

Coffee for me at the moment. Then I will be venturing out to meet a friend where I believe we will be enjoying some local wines. I think the new 77 will be accompanying me.

Er4dvsN.jpg

Tonight, I opened a 1990 pinot noir gifted to Miss Norma and me in 1992 by some close neighbors. There was some cork residue in the bottle after opening, so I poured it through a paper coffee filter. It has a delightful cherry juice flavor, without much tannin (hence the brown tinges) and, despite the original ABV, not too hot at all. Very smooth, to my surprise. The BB Winchester 2904 Trapper was different story due to operator error: I tried to open the knife fully while holding the bottle = both blades sliced my middle finger and I took the picture with blood dripping on the sideboard and my phone. So artistic!!

u7PkYhi.jpg

- Stuart

Tonight, I opened a 1990 pinot noir gifted to Miss Norma and me in 1992 by some close neighbors. There was some cork residue in the bottle after opening, so I poured it through a paper coffee filter. It has a delightful cherry juice flavor, without much tannin (hence the brown tinges) and, despite the original ABV, not too hot at all. Very smooth, to my surprise. The BB Winchester 2904 Trapper was different story due to operator error: I tried to open the knife fully while holding the bottle = both blades sliced my middle finger and I took the picture with blood dripping on the sideboard and my phone. So artistic!!

u7PkYhi.jpg

- Stuart
I liked it because of the photo, but *auch*!:eek:

I remember Paulaner Salvator as one of the best beers I've ever had. (That was in Spain while visiting my daughter, so circumstances may have inflated perceived quality. :rolleyes:)
paulaner.imp.toothpick.jpg

So when I saw Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn in my local grocery store recently, I didn't hesitate to grab a 6-pack.
remDaddy.paulaner.oktoberfest.jpg
It was OK, but certainly NOT one of the best Oktoberfest beers I've ever had. Rather pale yellow, compared to most Märzen-style beers I've tried. Almost no head when poured, and a kind of "bite" to its taste. And the beer bellies of the men on the label made me think twice! ;)

- GT

Happy Friday, folks!

I am kicking things off with some sort of French wine blend. I am not well versed in French wines so this bottle was a bit of a gamble for me. Since I live in Oregon (a bit of a wine country by itself), I don't find myself branching out too often, though I do get the occasional California wine now and then, especially since they tend to be cheaper than Oregon wines.

Another thought came to mind when I was choosing a vessel, the McMenamins Edgefield Hotel (where the Winery is located as well) recently experienced a bit of a calamity. Some exuberant guest decided it would be prudent to yank on a water pipe and it busted, causing three floors of the building to be flooded and subsequently evacuated. As with all of McMenamins locations, it is a historic building and I can only hope that the damage is not too severe.

ZNCsQrR.jpg

Happy Friday, folks!

I am kicking things off with some sort of French wine blend. I am not well versed in French wines so this bottle was a bit of a gamble for me. Since I live in Oregon (a bit of a wine country by itself), I don't find myself branching out too often, though I do get the occasional California wine now and then, especially since they tend to be cheaper than Oregon wines.

Another thought came to mind when I was choosing a vessel, the McMenamins Edgefield Hotel (where the Winery is located as well) recently experienced a bit of a calamity. Some exuberant guest decided it would be prudent to yank on a water pipe and it busted, causing three floors of the building to be flooded and subsequently evacuated. As with all of McMenamins locations, it is a historic building and I can only hope that the damage is not too severe.

ZNCsQrR.jpg

I’ve stayed in a few different McMenamins when visiting/working in your fine state...the Lodge and Edgefield come to mind...gems.

NICE HAUL JACK!!!!

Thanks Taylor, I've been tipping a few over the past couple of days ;) :thumbsup:

u7PkYhi.jpg

- Stuart

Ouch! :eek: You got a great pic though! ;) Hope you didn't get any blood in the wine! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

A few pics from the past few days :) Hope everyone is having a great weekend :thumbsup:

ZHdweie.jpg

YC28z9K.jpg

PBKO50D.jpg

7Ygsgms.jpg

BJmwoOx.jpg

QSX05Zy.jpg

p45i3As.jpg

xvwjSpv.jpg

The pint was supped at The Commercial in the West Yorkshire village of Slaithwaite, from the Empire brewery across the road, had a hint of blueberry, and was refreshing after a walk along the local canal :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Taylor, I've been tipping a few over the past couple of days ;) :thumbsup:

Ouch! :eek: You got a great pic though! ;) Hope you didn't get any blood in the wine! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

A few pics from the past few days :) Hope everyone is having a great weekend :thumbsup:

ZHdweie.jpg

YC28z9K.jpg

PBKO50D.jpg

7Ygsgms.jpg

BJmwoOx.jpg

QSX05Zy.jpg

p45i3As.jpg

xvwjSpv.jpg

The pint was supped at The Commercial in the West Yorkshire village of Slaithwaite, from the Empire brewery across the road, had a hint of blueberry, and was refreshing after a walk along the local canal :) :thumbsup:

Jack, that's a pretty posting of prodigious pint pouring. Impressive collection, and these two brought a smile to my face: "Californishire" and "from the Empire brewery across the road".

Thanks for your concern for my digit. The hardwood floor and my finger cleaned up quickly; no wine was disturbed, merely savored.
- Stuart

Back