1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Alnamvet68, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I'm happy you find it to your liking, Greg. The PNW in general is rather over saturated with IPAs so I try to make a note of the good ones when I come across them. That one is easy drinking without being too boring.

Coffee for me at the moment. Then I will be venturing out to meet a friend where I believe we will be enjoying some local wines. I think the new 77 will be accompanying me.

[​IMG]

2. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Tonight, I opened a 1990 pinot noir gifted to Miss Norma and me in 1992 by some close neighbors. There was some cork residue in the bottle after opening, so I poured it through a paper coffee filter. It has a delightful cherry juice flavor, without much tannin (hence the brown tinges) and, despite the original ABV, not too hot at all. Very smooth, to my surprise. The BB Winchester 2904 Trapper was different story due to operator error: I tried to open the knife fully while holding the bottle = both blades sliced my middle finger and I took the picture with blood dripping on the sideboard and my phone. So artistic!!

[​IMG]

- Stuart

Llasi, Ramrodmb, meako and 10 others like this.
  3. zolthar

zolthar Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I liked it because of the photo, but *auch*!:eek:

Duckdog likes this.
  4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I remember Paulaner Salvator as one of the best beers I've ever had. (That was in Spain while visiting my daughter, so circumstances may have inflated perceived quality. :rolleyes:)
    paulaner.imp.toothpick.jpg

So when I saw Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn in my local grocery store recently, I didn't hesitate to grab a 6-pack.
    remDaddy.paulaner.oktoberfest.jpg
    It was OK, but certainly NOT one of the best Oktoberfest beers I've ever had. Rather pale yellow, compared to most Märzen-style beers I've tried. Almost no head when poured, and a kind of "bite" to its taste. And the beer bellies of the men on the label made me think twice! ;)

- GT

5. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Happy Friday, folks!

I am kicking things off with some sort of French wine blend. I am not well versed in French wines so this bottle was a bit of a gamble for me. Since I live in Oregon (a bit of a wine country by itself), I don't find myself branching out too often, though I do get the occasional California wine now and then, especially since they tend to be cheaper than Oregon wines.

Another thought came to mind when I was choosing a vessel, the McMenamins Edgefield Hotel (where the Winery is located as well) recently experienced a bit of a calamity. Some exuberant guest decided it would be prudent to yank on a water pipe and it busted, causing three floors of the building to be flooded and subsequently evacuated. As with all of McMenamins locations, it is a historic building and I can only hope that the damage is not too severe.

[​IMG]

6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Like the wine, vessel, and knife; dislike the vandalism.

Jack Black and Duckdog like this.
  7. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Can you wear white or drink vodka 'n tonic after Labor Day? I reckon that since we have a Labor Day each year, every day is, in fact, before the next Labor Day. Bottoms up!

[​IMG]

- Stuart

Llasi, Cutfinger, DelOro and 5 others like this.
  8. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
  9. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    I’ve stayed in a few different McMenamins when visiting/working in your fine state...the Lodge and Edgefield come to mind...gems.

10. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

Ramrodmb, Pàdruig, difeasy and 11 others like this.
  11. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
  12. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
  13. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    Idk what happened!

Prester John likes this.
  14. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Taylor, I've been tipping a few over the past couple of days ;) :thumbsup:

Ouch! :eek: You got a great pic though! ;) Hope you didn't get any blood in the wine! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

A few pics from the past few days :) Hope everyone is having a great weekend :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pint was supped at The Commercial in the West Yorkshire village of Slaithwaite, from the Empire brewery across the road, had a hint of blueberry, and was refreshing after a walk along the local canal :) :thumbsup:

15. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Death throes of a nine month old beer?
    - Stuart

16. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Jack, that's a pretty posting of prodigious pint pouring. Impressive collection, and these two brought a smile to my face: "Californishire" and "from the Empire brewery across the road".

Thanks for your concern for my digit. The hardwood floor and my finger cleaned up quickly; no wine was disturbed, merely savored.
    - Stuart

Jack Black and tmd_87 like this.
  17. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    No I just bought em. I think it may have moved around in my ice chest? Idk, I drank it fast.

Duckdog and Prester John like this.
  18. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    My son finished my Spaten German lager while I was out of town, but he bought me some Guinness:
    [​IMG]

19. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I thought I'd better grab a case of these before the season was past.
    Bier her, bier her, oder ich fall um!
    [​IMG]

Scout knife courtesy of Western.

Markeologist, meako, jwb01 and 10 others like this.
  20. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    [​IMG]