Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Hey Sean, great to see you back on The Porch buddy :) I read your post in the Lounge on my phone, you take care buddy, really hope that happier days are ahead :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is a weird one, it actually does have a taste of raspberry doughnuts! :rolleyes: I'm enjoying it! :D :thumbsup:

PQkQVvP.jpg
Sounds good to me!!

I'm looking forward to "Stout" weather! I had to turn the furnace on for the first time this morning, supposed to have our first frost tomorrow.

AkULhj3.jpg
Your knife is intoxicating, Dylan, and the stout looks tasty! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: But I'm not looking forward to the cold weather. :( My annual goal is to NOT use the furnace until Thanksgiving, but it's been a long time since I achieved that! I often can't make it to Halloween anymore without using the furnace. :rolleyes:

Continuing with the stouts this evening. This one is an Obsidian Stout from Deschutes Brewery.

hW6wMEU.jpg
Another desirable-looking stout, Dylan, and that Jack Black fellow knows how to design a classic Barlow, doesn't he? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

One of my favorites!
Taylor, I think I tried the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest on your recommendation a year ago, and I was definitely ready for more this year! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

I like it, GT, as a break from the "more flavor forward" American craft märzens. I do like them, but this beer (supposedly in its 600th year of production) seems a fun one to drink if you are drinking more than several. It is lighter in color and, despite 5.8% abv, flavor. I like porters, stouts, and darker märzen beers (e.g. Dos Equis Ambar and Spaten Oktobefest), but this one is a nice break from mucho malty brews. I find it goes a bit better with food, as it is crisper on the tongue. Maybe I need to try one more to be sure . . .
- Stuart
Thanks for the mini-review, Stuart. :):cool::thumbsup:
I tell my statistics classes that they should use as large a sample size as they can afford, so I certainly won't try to dissuade you from trying another Hacker-Pschorr! :p

Had a few beers in Fredericksburg at Octoberfest, but I don't think they allowed knives for some reason. Here's a pic from the hotel pool (where they don't allow glass bottles!):
h2WMhO9.jpg
Interesting coincidence, Vince: I had a bottle of Warsteiner Oktoberfest with my supper last night! ;):cool::thumbsup: Your Dunkel looks good. I think the Warsteiner Oktoberfest is my favorite of the German imports I've tried this fall, although I also think I like all of the American Oktoberfest beers I've tried more than all of the imports. But I just try one a day, so it's hard to do a reliable comparison, I suppose. Maybe I have to work on about 6 bottles at a time, sipping in a variety of orders, to get more reliable data. :rolleyes:
warsteiner.oktfest.merc.jpg

- GT

Interesting coincidence, Vince: I had a bottle of Warsteiner Oktoberfest with my supper last night! ;):cool::thumbsup: Your Dunkel looks good. I think the Warsteiner Oktoberfest is my favorite of the German imports I've tried this fall, although I also think I like all of the American Oktoberfest beers I've tried more than all of the imports. But I just try one a day, so it's hard to do a reliable comparison, I suppose. Maybe I have to work on about 6 bottles at a time, sipping in a variety of orders, to get more reliable data. :rolleyes:
warsteiner-oktfest-merc-jpg.1208806
Well, I had five beers (counting the souvenir cups and subtracting my wife's three) at Octoberfest, all German, and all incredibly delicious. I think two were Spaten Oktoberfest, one was Spaten Optimator, and one was Warsteiner Oktoberfest. The fifth I think was a Weihenstephaner--not sure which one. Then I had a Warsteiner Dunkel back at the hotel. The Germans know how to make beer!
This was my third, probably the Optimator (third cup was in wife's bag):
1QVbOWF.jpg

And this was before it got crowded:
hIigg6A.jpg

Prost!

Last edited:
Your knife is intoxicating, Dylan, and the stout looks tasty! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: But I'm not looking forward to the cold weather. :( My annual goal is to NOT use the furnace until Thanksgiving, but it's been a long time since I achieved that! I often can't make it to Halloween anymore without using the furnace. :rolleyes:

Another desirable-looking stout, Dylan, and that Jack Black fellow knows how to design a classic Barlow, doesn't he? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, GT! I don't doubt the anxiety brought on by the impending cold weather. I am fortunate to live in a somewhat temperate zone (not much snow and ice). I hope the worst that winter has to bring passes you by! If not, well, I hope you stock up on plenty of stouts to drink and knives to play with. :cool:

And I am in full agreement in regards to Jack Black's designs, I really hope we see more.

Picked up a 6er of Spaten Optimator last weekend. One of my favorite beers. I joked with my brother that "it may be the manliest beer ever. It's like chewing on a BBQ pit." :thumbsup::D

Spaten Optimator rates highly amongst my favorite beers. Always enjoyable!

Whiskey for me tonight, 'tis a lovely evening.

Zmlak6r.jpg

Trying a new whiskey this evening. This one is distilled and bottled in my old home town of Sheridan, OR.

Not too shabby for a younger tasting whiskey, a little on the sweet side towards the finish.

kMI0isH.jpg

Dylan, any clue on the mash bill?

My apologies for the late response, Jeff.

The mash bill on this particular whiskey is: 63% Corn Neutral, 21% Rye, 16% Barley. I am pretty happy with it. It doesn't have the fullness of mouth feel that a more aged whiskey has but the flavor profile more than makes up for it. The sweetness of malts and rich port, mixed with the bright crispness of apples and pears, makes for a nicely balanced flavor.

Back