Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Very interesting Dylan :) There's been a big noise here about Yorkshire gins the last few years. They have little interest to me, and I'm hoping Yorkshire whisky is in vogue next ;) :thumbsup:

I'm afraid I have never been too keen on gin myself, Jack. Although I have had folks tell me that I just haven't had a good one yet... It is an alcohol that smells like a cleaning product and I've never taken to it. If Yorkshire decides to produce a good whisky, I would certainly be interested in trying it.

All this talk about gin is making me thirsty! :D It’s never been my go-to spirit, but I do enjoy it in certain applications (my favorite is probably the Negroni).

I’ve been on a big bourbon kick lately, but haven’t taken any knife-and-beverage photos. :confused:

Old Grand-Dad 114° and some elders, an Ulster serpentine jack and a small Cattaraugus boys knife. Old, but still kickin'.

8rR7mmd.jpg

- Stuart

Somewhere I think I have a pamphlet about Black Country dialect, which I believe interested my uncle because Great Haseley is in Black Country, wherever and whatever that is, as well as in Oxfordshire. I'll have to google it.
Be back with a beverage.
NGq2epP.jpg

The knife is an Imperial.
I bought that rum to make a dessert a la Jacques Pepin out of some over-ripe bananas, but it was not to be. I do happen to have a few cokes in the fridge.

Last edited:
And let's hope you like it better than Welsh whiskey.
This is what's left of a bottle of Aberfeldy, a non-peaty single malt from the Dewars people. (My sister took the last of it home in the bottle, but I suspect this snifter has outlasted her bottle.
SqLseLf.jpg

I've only had Penderyn Jer :)

I'm afraid I have never been too keen on gin myself, Jack. Although I have had folks tell me that I just haven't had a good one yet... It is an alcohol that smells like a cleaning product and I've never taken to it. If Yorkshire decides to produce a good whisky, I would certainly be interested in trying it.

I am having an interesting Lager this evening. It is a collaboration between High West Distillery and Ballast Point Brewery. I am a big fan of High West whiskeys and Ballast Point makes a fine beer so you'd think they both could manage a decent beverage together. You wouldn't be wrong, it is a fine, albeit interesting, lager. Smooth, creamy, with hints of vanilla and bourbon. I guess they take a lager and blend it with beer that has been aged in High West bourbon barrels.

Interesting, but tasty, stuff.

I91j9qh.jpg

I've been told the same Dylan, and it's true that there's a big taste variation, but I've always drunk whisky for preference :) I suspect if the Yorkshire craft-dude types turn from gin to whisky, it'll take a few years before it's any good, if indeed it ever is :rolleyes: That's a beautiful knife my friend, and the beer sounds delicious :thumbsup: Is that a BSA-approved cigar?! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:

Have a great weekend folks :) :thumbsup:

1OwP6Qq.jpg

For tax reasons it has been lowered from 21 to 18°.

Fortunately! I've drunk once a Picon beer, in a bar in Roubaix (it was as cold in the bar as in the street in january) , the deepest part of the deep north. Horrible bitter taste! Depressing.

Dan.

Edit: in the thread "Show us your international traditionals" Waynorth needs your help about an old Farge folder. Only you can answer his question.

Last edited:
Fortunately! I've drunk once a Picon beer, in a bar in Roubaix (it was as cold in the bar as in the street in january) , the deepest part of the deep north. Horrible bitter taste! Depressing.

Dan.

Edit: in the thread "Show us your international traditionals" Waynorth needs your help about an old Farge folder. Only you can answer his question.

:D:D No wonder in cycling they call the Paris - Roubaix The Hell of the North :eek::cool:

Dan.

OK I'll check :)

For tax reasons it has been lowered from 21 to 18°. :(

Dan.

Yikes! :eek: That's strong JP :) I don't think I've ever had a Picon beer, and I lived in Roubaix for a couple of months about 1990, and was talking, very randomly in the cinema, to a French woman from there just the other day! :D Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend :thumbsup:

EcqhpYK.jpg

feyLHUY.jpg

Yikes! :eek: That's strong JP :) I don't think I've ever had a Picon beer, and I lived in Roubaix for a couple of months about 1990, and was talking, very randomly in the cinema, to a French woman from there just the other day! :D Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend :thumbsup:

EcqhpYK.jpg

feyLHUY.jpg
I'm wondering if I will ever like IPA's. Didn't eat spinach till I was in my 40's, so you never know! Going to pick up some German Oktoberfest beer in a little while. I KNOW I will like that!

Back