Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Interesting version of Paulaner you have, Vince. I also bought some Paulaner Oktoberfest, and was a little disappointed, but mine has a different label (Wiesn instead of Märzen):
paulaner-oktoberfest-remdaddy-jpg.1216772
Looks like you got a wheat beer. The Märzen is darker and richer, and made with barley malt. I think you would like it. More traditional.

Another Oktoberfest beer I've tried recently is this Atwater Brewery (from Detroit, I think) Bloktoberfest. Very good, but I don't know why they stick the "Bl" on the front of the name.
View attachment 1216794

- GT
I think you would like the Paulaner Oktoberfest Märzen. I also recommend the Spaten and Warsteiner Oktoberfest beers. Samuel Adams has a good one too, if it doesn't have to be German.

Edit: I like wheat beers, but I don't think they're traditional Oktoberfest material, and barley is WAY better than wheat for beer--or whisky!

Last edited:
Looks like you got a wheat beer. The Märzen is darker and richer, and made with barley malt. I think you would like it. More traditional.
I think you would like the Paulaner Oktoberfest Märzen. I also recommend the Spaten and Warsteiner Oktoberfest beers. Samuel Adams has a good one too, if it doesn't have to be German.

Edit: I like wheat beers, but I don't think they're traditional Oktoberfest material, and barley is WAY better than wheat for beer--or whisky!
Vince, after I saw your version of Paulaner Oktoberfest, I did some online research to see if I could find out what's going on. When I originally bought, and especially when I poured, my Paulaner Wiesn, I wondered if it was a wheat beer (which I typically don't like very much). But I verified that "wheat" in German is "Weizen", not "Wiesn", although I couldn't get my online translator to recognize "Wiesn". But "Wiese" is "meadow" and it turns out that the locals around Munich call the Oktoberfest festivities, and the grounds where they're held, "Wiesn", a colloquial contraction of the German for "Therese's Meadow", Therese being the princess who married Crown Prince Leopold in 1810, kicking off the first Oktoberfest.

And this webpage https://www.foodandwine.com/articles/what-heck-oktoberfest-beer claims that the Oktoberfest beer in Munich has been getting progressively lighter in color with time, but Americans still like the older amber Märzen style. So some German brewers make the lighter-colored version for consumption at the Munich festival, but brew a marzen style to export to America. After finding Paulaner's website and reading what they wrote about Wiesn and Märzen, I think that Wiesn is their Munich brand and Marzen is their American export.

You're right, I generally like the amber Oktoberfest styles (from American brewers like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Bell's, Leinenkugel, and Atwater) better than the "golden" styles (German imports like Paulaner Wiesn, Weihenstephaner, Warsteiner, and Hacker-Pschorr - listed from lightest to darkest in my experience) I've been trying.

FWIW, the Paulaner Wiesn IS made with barley malt, both light and dark varieties.

All pretty interesting to me, and although I have my preferences among these Oktoberfest beers, they're all quite good compared to typical American lagers, IMHO!
leinie.oktfest.imp.BSA.white.jpg

samadams.octoberfest.imp.toothpick.jpg

sierranevada.oktfest.RRfish.jpg

bell's.octfest.halfhawk.jpg

bloktoberfest.HHB.jpg

- GT

Vince, after I saw your version of Paulaner Oktoberfest, I did some online research to see if I could find out what's going on. When I originally bought, and especially when I poured, my Paulaner Wiesn, I wondered if it was a wheat beer (which I typically don't like very much). But I verified that "wheat" in German is "Weizen", not "Wiesn", although I couldn't get my online translator to recognize "Wiesn". But "Wiese" is "meadow" and it turns out that the locals around Munich call the Oktoberfest festivities, and the grounds where they're held, "Wiesn", a colloquial contraction of the German for "Therese's Meadow", Therese being the princess who married Crown Prince Leopold in 1810, kicking off the first Oktoberfest.

And this webpage https://www.foodandwine.com/articles/what-heck-oktoberfest-beer claims that the Oktoberfest beer in Munich has been getting progressively lighter in color with time, but Americans still like the older amber Märzen style. So some German brewers make the lighter-colored version for consumption at the Munich festival, but brew a marzen style to export to America. After finding Paulaner's website and reading what they wrote about Wiesn and Märzen, I think that Wiesn is their Munich brand and Marzen is their American export.

You're right, I generally like the amber Oktoberfest styles (from American brewers like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Bell's, Leinenkugel, and Atwater) better than the "golden" styles (German imports like Paulaner Wiesn, Weihenstephaner, Warsteiner, and Hacker-Pschorr - listed from lightest to darkest in my experience) I've been trying.

FWIW, the Paulaner Wiesn IS made with barley malt, both light and dark varieties.

All pretty interesting to me, and although I have my preferences among these Oktoberfest beers, they're all quite good compared to typical American lagers, IMHO!
View attachment 1217539

View attachment 1217541

View attachment 1217542

View attachment 1217543

View attachment 1217544

- GT
Thanks for the research and info, Gary. I'll look for that Paulaner Wiesn. I generally love all the German beers I've tried.
Life's too short to drink cheap beer! (Although I enjoy an occasional Budweiser--for old time's sake!) :)

Prester John Prester John
It was pretty good if you like a strawberry drink.I was told the guava flavor is good but where we ate only had the strawberry. I'm usually a Pepsi guy, but I do buy the Mexican Cokes in glass bottles. Much better than our Coke. Tractor Supply carries them here.
I like Big Red if I can find it in glass bottles with cane sugar. Also, Dr. Pepper. Will have to try Jarritos--I see them everywhere around here.

Back