Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

H7Yxdpi.jpg

Mmmmmm....
Had some today. Medicinal. Very soothing. My favourite whisky--like drinking barbecue.

I prefer Lagavulin, but drink Laphroaig more often (easier on the wallet ;)).

Fp6i7o0.jpg

Well we know the knife was made in Sheffield, and the beer's from Yorkshire, as well. How about the tankard?

I think Laphroaig is a Case knife equivalent, whilst Lagavulin is more of a GEC!

That's a good analogy. :thumbsup:

Interesting. I have tried Lagavulin somewhere, and it was good. Guess I should buy a bottle and compare.

You should... it's like Laphroaig, only better! :D Honestly, they're both good. If you love Laphroaig, Lagavulin won't disappoint, and there's a solid chance you'll love it, too (and maybe even have a few favorite! ;)). I will say, if you go shopping for Lagavulin, I would recommend checking the price at a few places; unfortunately, it has a tendency to vary wildly (at least in my experience). I've seen it anywhere from $65 to $120+ (I never returned to that liquor store :rolleyes:). $70 is a good price, $75 is ok, I'd have a hard time paying any more than that.

Well we know the knife was made in Sheffield, and the beer's from Yorkshire, as well. How about the tankard?

You should... it's like Laphroaig, only better! :D Honestly, they're both good. If you love Laphroaig, Lagavulin won't disappoint, and there's a solid chance you'll love it, too (and maybe even have a few favorite! ;)). I will say, if you go shopping for Lagavulin, I would recommend checking the price at a few places; unfortunately, it has a tendency to vary wildly (at least in my experience). I've seen it anywhere from $65 to $120+ (I never returned to that liquor store :rolleyes:). $70 is a good price, $75 is ok, I'd have a hard time paying any more than that.

Yip the tankard is Sheffield made to.
https://www.englishpewter.co.uk/

Jack said their based in the same building where Harry Brearley invented stainless steel in 1913. :thumbsup:
Btw, depending on which expression of Lagavulin your talking about; at today's exchange rates it appears you folk can buy it cheaper over there than we can over here.

Yip the tankard is Sheffield made to.
https://www.englishpewter.co.uk/

Jack said their based in the same building where Harry Brearley invented stainless steel in 1913. :thumbsup:
Btw, depending on which expression of Lagavulin your talking about; at today's exchange rates it appears you folk can buy it cheaper over there than we can over here.

I figured it was probably made in Sheffield, too. :D It's a good looking tankard! :thumbsup:

Before my visit to Sheffield in December 2018, Jack told me to keep an eye out for a large Harry Brearley mural painted on the back wall of a pub between the train station and my hotel. Unfortunately, some vandals had splashed red and white paint all over it. :(

Those prices are for the "standard" Lagavulin 16, David. I never thought to check the price of a bottle over there, but we were having dinner at a pub in Bath (The Raven) when I noticed a bottle of Lagavulin 16 behind the bar. My brother and I had a debate over what it might cost in the pub, and were both surprised to learn that it was only £4 (at a bar or restaurant in the States, a single pour of Lagavulin would cost $10 to $12 or more).

A couple pictures from The Raven:

sVB8L4W.jpg

72VHwGy.jpg

K0ET405.jpg

(That's my brother and sister-in-law in the corner window up there.) :D

LOL. That Tankard has been empty for decades, Paul! But I have other receptacles I can use to imbibe! :D
The Angler's Pint glasses, as you might guess are more than a pint, were a Christmas gift from my youngest son Dan.
ZUeRpty.jpg

- marvellous..!

Talking of which.........my first foray onto the riverbank (for a while now) yielded tight lines for about 10secs before the Grayling high-tailed it.

The only other thing I nearly caught was a cold :(

- marvellous..!

Talking of which.........my first foray onto the riverbank (for a while now) yielded tight lines for about 10secs before the Grayling high-tailed it.

The only other thing I nearly caught was a cold :(
If I had nickel for every one that got away! :eek:
I'm afraid trout season is only a fond memory right now. Spring in Central N.Y. seems a long ways off.

I think that might be due to the very high rate of tax on alcohol here David :eek:

I figured it was probably made in Sheffield, too. :D It's a good looking tankard! :thumbsup:

Before my visit to Sheffield in December 2018, Jack told me to keep an eye out for a large Harry Brearley mural painted on the back wall of a pub between the train station and my hotel. Unfortunately, some vandals had splashed red and white paint all over it. :(

Those prices are for the "standard" Lagavulin 16, David. I never thought to check the price of a bottle over there, but we were having dinner at a pub in Bath (The Raven) when I noticed a bottle of Lagavulin 16 behind the bar. My brother and I had a debate over what it might cost in the pub, and were both surprised to learn that it was only £4 (at a bar or restaurant in the States, a single pour of Lagavulin would cost $10 to $12 or more).

A couple pictures from The Raven:

sVB8L4W.jpg

72VHwGy.jpg

K0ET405.jpg

(That's my brother and sister-in-law in the corner window up there.) :D

That looks like a great pub Barrett :) It's a shame the Harry Brearley mural is no longer there :( :thumbsup:

I call this one "Hartshead Barlow from the Bottom of an Empty English Pewter Tankard". :)
BQrPbz3.jpg

That's a fantastic photo Gary :) :thumbsup:

My tipple last night ;) :thumbsup:

lH4glYV.jpg

That looks like a great pub Barrett :) It's a shame the Harry Brearley mural is no longer there :( :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack, it was my brother’s favorite pub in Bath. They have a nice beer selection (it’s a Free House), and the food is excellent.

Thanks, Jack, it was my brother’s favorite pub in Bath. They have a nice beer selection (it’s a Free House), and the food is excellent.

It looks and sounds excellent Barrett :) I'll bear it in mind if I'm ever down that way :thumbsup:

Back