Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

It's not too late to broaden your horizons, Gary. I love beer, but just had some red wine with dinner. Have you not had good wine? You can get some good drinkable stuff for just a few bucks. And you have to try some single malt scotch--nectar of the gods. And nothing beats a good martini. Don't mean to corrupt you or anything, but I sure enjoy a wide range of "adult beverages." In moderation, of course. ;)
To each his own!
Thanks for the advice, Vince. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
There is just so much "out there", in almost every realm, that I arbitrarily decide to limit myself in many of them to simplify my life! :D For example, I've decided that I'll pay no attention to fixed blade knives or modern folders, or to Facebook (and almost any other social media), or to romance novels, or to alcoholic beverages other than beer, or to video games, or to luxury cars, etc.

- GT

I got a day behind in my advent.

Dec. 16th: Brauerei Egerer Bären Weisse - a Pale Hefeweizen. Again, I am not usually a fan of wheat beers but this one is pretty good - lots of fruit notes with a tang on the finish that reminds of tropical punch.

Dec. 17th: Bürgerbräu Alpenstoff - another Helles style Lager. Haven't cracked into this one yet but I'm not particularly excited about it.

EplO8vL.jpg

Last edited:

Dec. 17th: Brauerei Egerer Bären Weisse - a Pale Hefeweizen. Again, I am not usually a fan of wheat beers but this one is pretty good - lots of fruit notes with a tang on the finish that reminds of tropical punch.

Dec. 18th: Bürgerbräu Alpenstoff - another Helles style Lager. Haven't cracked into this one yet but I'm not particularly excited about it.

EplO8vL.jpg

What happened to the 15th and 16th? ;)

Sorry to hear about the continued abundance of lagers, Dylan. I’ll be curious to hear your overall assessment of that advent calendar when it’s all said and done.

A very Tart one! But I am enjoying it!
7rfqv5M.jpg

Taylor, that beer looks familiar…

6LiEz8b.jpg

OH YEAH!! ;) :D

December 17th. Another new bottle for me tonight, a recent purchase that I hadn’t tried yet…

1fqEouY.jpg

Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch. This is another Buffalo Trace product, most of which I tend to enjoy, and it’s Bottled in Bond, so 50% ABV/100 proof. Now perhaps it’s because I just opened the bottle (does whiskey need a minute to “breathe” like wine?), or maybe my taste buds were still recovering from last night’s awful libation, but at first this one seemed very subdued. I wasn’t getting a whole lot on the nose, and the taste seemed very muted, as well. But after a few minutes it did seem to open up, so to speak, and it’s actually quite nice! :thumbsup: It’s still on the subtler side, but certainly enjoyable.

HSQL8aZ.jpg

Only seven whiskeys to go!

9mN7OWW.jpg

Last edited:
What happened to the 15th and 16th? ;)

Oops... Definitely got my days crossed - I went back and edited it.

I did miss the 15th, I think - I'm not sure how I forgot to post that one.

Dec. 15th: Landgang Brauerei Pils - another stinkin' lager. Either the Germans really like their lagers or the curators of this particular advent calendar think that Americans really like lagers. Both likely apply.

wt5l4DY.jpg

Dec. 16th: Brauerei Egerer Bären Weisse - a Pale Hefeweizen. Again, I am not usually a fan of wheat beers but this one is pretty good - lots of fruit notes with a tang on the finish that reminds of tropical punch.

Dec. 17th: Bürgerbräu Alpenstoff - another Helles style Lager. Haven't cracked into this one yet but I'm not particularly excited about it.

EplO8vL.jpg
Nice combo there... I haven't had a Sancho Panza in a few years. I likely should revisit them.
Also, those are two of my favorite knives right there... life is good.

Nice combo there... I haven't had a Sancho Panza in a few years. I likely should revisit them.
Also, those are two of my favorite knives right there... life is good.

Thank you, my friend. I haven't had a bad Sancho Panza - quality cigar every time. I'd have to say, out of the numerous Case offerings, their Sowbelly and Swayback rate at the top for me - though I do wish they would make a larger swayback.

Thank you, my friend. I haven't had a bad Sancho Panza - quality cigar every time. I'd have to say, out of the numerous Case offerings, their Sowbelly and Swayback rate at the top for me - though I do wish they would make a larger swayback.
I agree about the swayback... they could do it like the copperlocks... regular and small...

I thought I had a pic of my whiskey choice for tonight, but I don't... it was Angel's Envy bourbon, along with an Oliva Wrath "second".... I'll do better on pics next time..:oops:

Speaking of beverages, I'm gonna have some fun tomorrow selecting liquors for three of my sons: bourbon for one, tequila for another, and scotch for the third. Then to the tobacco store for some cigars. We usually spend some time on my back porch after Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Should have most of my children, and some grandchildren, with us.

December 18th. Last night’s bottle was new. This one isn’t.

A1OHzp6.jpg

Old Charter 10 Year. I’ve had this bottle a long time. I’m not sure they make this stuff anymore. Certainly not with an age statement. A friend and I bought this on our way to watch the Kentucky Derby (on TV, not in person). That must’ve been at least 12 years ago. We used it to make Mint Juleps, which were ok. We tried some by itself and thought it was awful.

We didn’t know what we were talking about. :D

I’m not saying it’s the best whiskey I’ve had, but there’s nothing wrong with it at all. It’s a pretty good bourbon. In fact, I’d describe it as the most bourbon-tasting bourbon I’ve had so far this month. When you think about what bourbon’s supposed to taste like, this is it. :thumbsup:

bcCneaF.jpg

Back