Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

What happened to the 15th and 16th? ;)

Sorry to hear about the continued abundance of lagers, Dylan. I’ll be curious to hear your overall assessment of that advent calendar when it’s all said and done.

Taylor, that beer looks familiar…

6LiEz8b.jpg

OH YEAH!! ;) :D

December 17th. Another new bottle for me tonight, a recent purchase that I hadn’t tried yet…

1fqEouY.jpg

Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch. This is another Buffalo Trace product, most of which I tend to enjoy, and it’s Bottled in Bond, so 50% ABV/100 proof. Now perhaps it’s because I just opened the bottle (does whiskey need a minute to “breathe” like wine?), or maybe my taste buds were still recovering from last night’s awful libation, but at first this one seemed very subdued. I wasn’t getting a whole lot on the nose, and the taste seemed very muted, as well. But after a few minutes it did seem to open up, so to speak, and it’s actually quite nice! :thumbsup: It’s still on the subtler side, but certainly enjoyable.

HSQL8aZ.jpg

Only seven whiskeys to go!

9mN7OWW.jpg

Good choice!

C6EF2B2C-7C8F-4A9B-A37D-92DB79CD840A.jpeg

We usually spend some time on my back porch after Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Should have most of my children, and some grandchildren, with us.
That is great! I hope you and your family have a memorable Christmas. We won't be with most of our family this Christmas... likely just our youngest daughter and her husband. Everyone else is out of place this year, for one reason or another.

In fact, I’d describe it as the most bourbon-tasting bourbon I’ve had so far this month. When you think about what bourbon’s supposed to taste like, this is it. :thumbsup:
Well, that's because you gave it 8 more years of "shelf aging".... :D

December 19th. A real favorite tonight…

t68unIE.jpg

Laphroaig 10. Now I enjoy Highland and Speyside scotch whiskies, and I’ve been particularly fond of bourbon lately, but this stuff — this funky, pungent, briny, smoky stuff from Islay — this is the stuff for me! :D And this isn’t even my favorite, but dang is it good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11qVIyb.jpg

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a Japanese whisky. I also need to explore Irish whiskeys a bit.

Suntory Hibiki is one of my absolute favorites. I’ll post a photo of it next time I enjoy it.

December 19th. A real favorite tonight…

t68unIE.jpg

Laphroaig 10. Now I enjoy Highland and Speyside scotch whiskies, and I’ve been particularly fond of bourbon lately, but this stuff — this funky, pungent, briny, smoky stuff from Islay — this is the stuff for me! :D And this isn’t even my favorite, but dang is it good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11qVIyb.jpg
In my top 5 easy, have the remnants of a litre bottle left in the cupboard.
You know, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a Japanese whisky. I also need to explore Irish whiskeys a bit.
Japanese Whisky is on my hit list. Know nothing about it tho. Educate me :)
Irish wise Yellow or Green Spot, Redbreast and Powers John Lane are stand out brill. Not mad into the whole Middleton Very Rare series, better v bang for buck in the above imo.
Suntory Hibiki is one of my absolute favorites. I’ll post a photo of it next time I enjoy it.
How would you describe it?

A cool 53 degree morning after online church... locally roasted coffee, along with my single spring Buck 309, which lives out on the table on the patio. The currency is my bookmark...

LFEaeVV.jpg
Really miss Romeo y Julietas, one of life's pleasures I had to knock on the head:(

very cool pic.... one of the best "purpose" knives ever built, in my opinion. I think the Chimay must be an acquired taste. I've had a couple, and haven't really become enamored with them. They are great for a change, sort of like Guinness stout, but they are a little heavy for me, as a "regular" brew. Good taste, just sort of chewy...

Wow, kudos to Pàdruig Pàdruig and btb01 btb01 for maintaining a nearly daily posting cadence as they enjoy the fruits of their respective Advent calendars. Well done, Gentlemen!

I’ve been continuing with the wine calendar. The doors are opened daily; the bottles behind the doors a little less frequently. Here are a couple that I happened to photograph:

pBFUl5Eh.jpg

This Malbec was nice. I don’t own a Gaucho knife, but this @Horsewright Sonoran Belt Knife seemed an appropriate stand-in.

OSbYeZmh.jpg

Hey Prester John Prester John , I had pizza on Friday, too. Coincidentally, this Italian red blend was the wine of the day. A nice pairing. :thumbsup: The lambsfoot was on jalapeño slicing duty, BTW.

Today, though, it’s time for a winter ale:

3MaecWSh.jpg

Wow, kudos to Pàdruig Pàdruig and btb01 btb01 for maintaining a nearly daily posting cadence as they enjoy the fruits of their respective Advent calendars. Well done, Gentlemen!

I’ve been continuing with the wine calendar. The doors are opened daily; the bottles behind the doors a little less frequently. Here are a couple that I happened to photograph:

pBFUl5Eh.jpg

This Malbec was nice. I don’t own a Gaucho knife, but this @Horsewright Sonoran Belt Knife seemed an appropriate stand-in.

OSbYeZmh.jpg

Hey Prester John Prester John , I had pizza on Friday, too. Coincidentally, this Italian red blend was the wine of the day. A nice pairing. :thumbsup: The lambsfoot was on jalapeño slicing duty, BTW.

3MaecWSh.jpg

Great post, Greg! :thumbsup: Pepperoni and jalapeño is an excellent pizza combination. I haven’t had Anchor’s Christmas Ale in a few years, but I bought this gigantic bottle a several years ago. :D

XweupGS.jpg

pBFUl5Eh.jpg

OSbYeZmh.jpg

3MaecWSh.jpg
Pepperoni and jalapeño is a great pizza topping combination, Greg. You ought to try pepperoni and anchovies, too. Add onions and garlic, but make sure your wife eats some too! Nice Italian red wine. And I gotta get that Anchor Steam Christmas beer. I love their standard beer--been a favorite for about 40 years. Much better than Budweiser, but I gotta have some Bud once in a while. ;)

December 20th. I picked the background of this first photo specifically for Vince ( Prester John Prester John )… :D

1CGL01k.jpg

Baker’s. This was a Christmas gift a couple years ago, although I just opened it up fairly recently. Slightly higher proof than the other whiskeys so far at 107 proof/53.5% ABV (I don’t think I have anything cask strength at the moment, so this is probably as high as it’ll get). I think it was the Old Charter the other day that I described as tasting exactly like you’d expect bourbon to taste. I get the same thing from this, but those flavors are turned up a notch.

XDwtLJu.jpg

very cool pic.... one of the best "purpose" knives ever built, in my opinion. I think the Chimay must be an acquired taste. I've had a couple, and haven't really become enamored with them. They are great for a change, sort of like Guinness stout, but they are a little heavy for me, as a "regular" brew. Good taste, just sort of chewy...

I do agree about the F&F 62. One of the bests. I can't say enough good things about it. I use it intensively, i own three spare ones.

The red Chimay is here a local beer, i live at less than ten miles from the Scourmont Trappist Abbey. I've tasted many excellent beers at travelling in northern Europe, including Ireland and Great Britain, but now i'm getting old, don't move much, and have a typical rural way of life, i don't look for novelties. What is good enough hasn't to be enhanced. Water, strong black tea, red Chimay. And some good traditional pocket knives.
Sometimes, life is livable.

Dan.

Back