Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I do agree about the F&F 62. One of the bests. I can't say enough good things about it. I use it intensively, i own three spare ones.

The red Chimay is here a local beer, i live at less than ten miles from the Scourmont Trappist Abbey. I've tasted many excellent beers at travelling in northern Europe, including Ireland and Great Britain, but now i'm getting old, don't move much, and have a typical rural way of life, i don't look for novelties. What is good enough hasn't to be enhanced. Water, strong black tea, red Chimay. And some good traditional pocket knives.
Sometimes, life is livable.

Dan.
Red Chimay is outstanding. Pretty expensive here, though, so a rare treat for me.
Going to have some strong black unenhanced coffee in a few minutes.

December 19th. A real favorite tonight…

t68unIE.jpg

Laphroaig 10. Now I enjoy Highland and Speyside scotch whiskies, and I’ve been particularly fond of bourbon lately, but this stuff — this funky, pungent, briny, smoky stuff from Islay — this is the stuff for me! :D And this isn’t even my favorite, but dang is it good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11qVIyb.jpg
A very good dram indeed Barrett. Most of my Scotch collection originates from Islay. My favorite is Lagavulin 16 year but I enjoy them all.
IMG_1585.JPG

A very good dram indeed Barrett. Most of my Scotch collection originates from Islay. My favorite is Lagavulin 16 year but I enjoy them all.
View attachment 1477430

I’ll refrain from commenting on the Lagavulin 16, since it may or may not (but definitely will) come up in the last few days of my advent calendar ;), but that 2-blade #77 Barlow is one good looking knife! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Only four days left on my DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar. I’ll be back later tonight with an update for the 21st, but here are some recap photos of everything I’ve enjoyed so far.

Eu0Fx5j.jpg

iopcLrl.jpg

i0X86Nv.jpg

(I was actually working on these to post at the end, and just added the numbers as placeholders — thanks Google image search — but I liked how that turned out, so I’m posting them now.) :rolleyes: :D

Wow, kudos to Pàdruig Pàdruig and btb01 btb01 for maintaining a nearly daily posting cadence as they enjoy the fruits of their respective Advent calendars. Well done, Gentlemen!

I’ve been continuing with the wine calendar. The doors are opened daily; the bottles behind the doors a little less frequently. Here are a couple that I happened to photograph:

pBFUl5Eh.jpg

This Malbec was nice. I don’t own a Gaucho knife, but this @Horsewright Sonoran Belt Knife seemed an appropriate stand-in.

OSbYeZmh.jpg

Hey Prester John Prester John , I had pizza on Friday, too. Coincidentally, this Italian red blend was the wine of the day. A nice pairing. :thumbsup: The lambsfoot was on jalapeño slicing duty, BTW.

Today, though, it’s time for a winter ale:

3MaecWSh.jpg

Thank you, Greg. My wife and I have been getting wine delivered on a semi regular basis. Not wanting to venture out too much due to the current climate, if we can't get things at the store locally, we just order, rather than going to vineyards or tasting rooms. We've been getting a good assortment of South American and European wines and it has been quite pleasant trying things that I do not have near as much familiarity with.

I can tell the difference between a Californian and Oregon Pinot immediately (Oregon is far superior :D) but when it comes to French, Spanish, Argentine, Chilean, etc. wines - I am quite the novice.

Speaking of Gaucho knives, there is one made by Böker in Stag that I have had my eye on for a little while now.

I’ll refrain from commenting on the Lagavulin 16, since it may or may not (but definitely will) come up in the last few days of my advent calendar ;), but that 2-blade #77 Barlow is one good looking knife! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Only four days left on my DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar. I’ll be back later tonight with an update for the 21st, but here are some recap photos of everything I’ve enjoyed so far.

Eu0Fx5j.jpg

iopcLrl.jpg

i0X86Nv.jpg

(I was actually working on these to post at the end, and just added the numbers as placeholders — thanks Google image search — but I liked how that turned out, so I’m posting them now.) :rolleyes: :D

That is a terrific collage, Barrett! I really enjoy the consistency in your staging and am impressed that you've done a better job at keeping up than I have. On more than a couple of occasions, I've allowed myself to get a day behind.

Like today for instance - I am drinking yesterday's choice as well as today's.

Dec. 20th: Hösl Märzenbier - a Rauchbier or Smoked Lager. This one is a bit different. I have liked smoked beers in the past but more often than not, a lot of craft brewers go a bit too heavy on the smoke rather than relying on subtlety. This one is a good one - a bit lighter than I prefer but still rather enjoyable. It is reminiscent of a rauchbier that one my favorite local brewers has made in the past.

Dec. 21st: Schnaitl Bräu Jubiläumssud - a Bavarian Style Märzen. I will be digging into this one shortly but from what I know about Märzen beer, it should be a decent beer that is not unlike some Oktoberfest offerings.

GLSA1My.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, Greg. My wife and I have been getting wine delivered on a semi regular basis. Not wanting to venture out too much due to the current climate, if we can't get things at the store locally, we just order, rather than going to vineyards or tasting rooms. We've been getting a good assortment of South American and European wines and it has been quite pleasant trying things that I do not have near as much familiarity with.

I can tell the difference between a Californian and Oregon Pinot immediately (Oregon is far superior :D) but when it comes to French, Spanish, Argentine, Chilean, etc. wines - I am quite the novice.

Speaking of Gaucho knives, there is one made by Böker in Stag that I have had my eye on for a little while now.

I enjoy drinking wine, but I’ll readily admit that my expertise doesn’t expand very far beyond “I like this,” “I don’t like that,” and “Pour me another glass.” :D

That is a terrific collage, Barrett! I really enjoy the consistency in your staging and am impressed that you've done a better job at keeping up than I have. On more than a couple of occasions, I've allowed myself to get a day behind.

Thanks, Dylan! :thumbsup: I appreciate the kind words. I’ve been enjoying following along with your beer advent calendar as well (which, of course, inspired my little experiment to begin with). Right now my time to drink whiskey and relax doesn’t start until after the kids are in bed, so there’s no hope of a nicely lit outdoor shot; the desk in the basement has to suffice, and it’s easier just to set up basically the same shot every night than get creative. :D

I enjoy a good Rauchbier, but find its best enjoyed in moderation. My brother brought a growler of the stuff from a local brewery in Arkansas when he visited at Christmas one year, and we were tired of it by the time we finished it.

Ok, December 21st.

mvlVQLL.jpg

The Black Grouse. (I think it may be called The Famous Grouse Smoky Black now.) I’ve never had the standard Famous Grouse, but this is, from what I understand, just a peated version of it. It’s a blended scotch, and it’s ok, but not great. I bought it to try when I was first getting into Islay whiskies, and I don’t find it nearly as enjoyable as any of the single malt Islays I’ve had. It has the briny and smoky flavors, but not a whole lot else. It’s unexciting, but hey, they can’t all be winners. ;)

IvW9m1i.jpg

Eu0Fx5j.jpg

iopcLrl.jpg

i0X86Nv.jpg

Barrett, your advent calendar is very cool. What a great idea and your collection of whisky is awesome.

All whiskies are definitely not the same. Had some Crown Royal Black last night. We had an office Christmas gift exchange, and we each posted a list of gift suggestions ($25 cap) for whoever drew our names. I wrote "whisky", but should have been more specific. I should gave written "Wild Turkey 101" or "Maker's Mark." Scotch is better, but over the price limit, and I love good bourbon. But I will probably get some good Scotch from my sons and/or wife on Friday. :)

Only two days left in the Advent Calendar. I had hoped that the best choices would be saved for towards the end when I opened today's selection but alas! It was not to be...

Dec. 22nd: Kurbfalzbräu Kellerbier - a Zwickel/Kellerbier. Not a lot to say about it other than it is in line with the majority of this Advent so far.

oFqGI2g.jpg

December 22nd. “Distilled, matured and bottled in the Valley of the Deer”…

Mx0NjuD.jpg

Glenfiddich 15. My best friend bought me a bottle of this, either for my wedding or for being the best man at his (which was the last time I wore a tux, by the way. That was over 10 years ago, and I’m hoping to keep that streak going for, say, the rest of my life.)

Anyways, I finished that bottle off a few years ago, and bought myself another because I liked it so much. This might be my favorite scotch that isn’t from Islay.

GTbirbl.jpg

The Advent is coming to a close - only one day left. I am posting today only to preserve the integrity of my calendar - I have little desire to actually drink the beer.

Dec. 23rd: Bürgerliches Brauhaus Altbairisch Hell - Judging by the name, I suspect yet another Helles style Lager. I am not in the mood for a Lager this evening so this will get drunk another time. For being a winter celebration, this Advent Calendar has been sorely lacking in what I would deem winter appropriate beers...

SthXBS8.jpg

December 23rd. Happy Festivus, everyone! I’ve got a lot of problems with you people, and now you’re gonna hear about it! :mad: Just kidding. :D

Today’s whiskey comes from the city in which I was born…

TP4Sq8V.jpg

Rock Town Arkansas Bourbon Whiskey. I hadn’t opened/tried this one until tonight, although it’s another bottle that I’ve had for a while. It’s a bit spicy, and has a slight funky/sour note, but I’m enjoying it.

OsQE9fh.jpg

December 23rd. Happy Festivus, everyone! I’ve got a lot of problems with you people, and now you’re gonna hear about it! :mad: Just kidding. :D

Today’s whiskey comes from the city in which I was born…

TP4Sq8V.jpg

Rock Town Arkansas Bourbon Whiskey. I hadn’t opened/tried this one until tonight, although it’s another bottle that I’ve had for a while. It’s a bit spicy, and has a slight funky/sour note, but I’m enjoying it.

OsQE9fh.jpg
Festivus for the rest of us! That's such a sweet knife. The peach seed jigged bone was a great cover for this run!

My buddies parents own a winery and he just dropped me off three bottles. A Rosé, a Merlot and a Mourvedre! I'm gonna be smoking an elk roast tomorrow so I think it will pair great with the Mourvedre.

Cheers!!!

Back