Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

No crowns were harmed in the making of this photo.
AMVCp36.jpg

Juice Nuke'em by Moonraker

I've been wanting to try Buffalo Trace Bourbon for months but it's like Northwoods knives around here. It doesn't stay on the shelves very long and you have to be at the right place at the right time to snag a bottle.

Fresh pic. I haven't even taken a sip yet but that's gonna change right now.

View attachment 1513082

And a lot like GEC knives, that stuff used to be readily available just about everywhere (emphasis on “used to be”). :D

I’m about halfway through that glass and so far, so good.

I’m not good at describing all the nuances . All I can say is that I find it enjoyable but I don’t think it’s going to be my favorite.

@Mitt described it pretty well, I think. A great everyday bourbon.

I’ve only tried maybe 6 or 7 bourbons. Still pretty new at it but so far, 1792 Small Batch has turned out to be my favorite. That of course, could change at any time.

Buffalo Trace is alright. There are other, more easily-acquired bourbons in the same price range that I like more.

This has been my favorite reasonably-priced bourbon lately.

t7mrxWL.jpg

And a lot like GEC knives, that stuff used to be readily available just about everywhere (emphasis on “used to be”). :D

Buffalo Trace is alright. There are other, more easily-acquired bourbons in the same price range that I like more.

This has been my favorite reasonably-priced bourbon lately.

t7mrxWL.jpg

A very neat and elegant desk to go with it too :cool:

Mines a scruffy, stained overcrowded ex school desk :eek: more knives on it though.....

Regards, Will

I recall I've read about Ezra Brooks somewhere in this thread and when I saw these bottles I went for a test. These bottles were imported in the Netherlands and intended to be sold in UK. New rules prevented things to go that way and these were discounted. Two other on the way, rye ans 7 yo. Cheers Bobo! :D:D:D
Ezra_Brroks-1.jpg

I’m about halfway through that glass and so far, so good.

I’m not good at describing all the nuances . All I can say is that I find it enjoyable but I don’t think it’s going to be my favorite.

@Mitt described it pretty well, I think. A great everyday bourbon.

I’ve only tried maybe 6 or 7 bourbons. Still pretty new at it but so far, 1792 Small Batch has turned out to be my favorite. That of course, could change at any time.
If you can find it, you should try Blanton's... a good close second, and much easier to find, is Angel's Envy. I'm not a bourbon drinker, but those two could convert me.
Nearly any kind of whiskey is good... Irish, Scotch, Canadian, Amurrican... (Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack)
Bourbon is usually a little harsh for my taste, but those two mentioned are smoooooth....

Hello, Porch Friends! Here's to a week behind us of good work done, a weekend ahead of us of rejuvenation to be had, and a week to come that is better for you and yours in a meaningful way, whatever that may be!

ZCTmkREh.jpg

New concoction tonight: Bulleit Rye, shaken with homemade Meyer lemon marmalade and bitters. Strained and topped with a splash of seltzer. Pretty darn tasty.

I suspect the Hartshead Barlow that's been riding in my pocket today requires no introduction at this point. ;)

Cheers, everyone!

No alcohol for me for lent, so here’s my beverage of the day from lunch.

View attachment 1517072

I have a nice bottle of that honey bourbon waiting for me after Easter though!
Man, I haven't had a can of Brisk in ages! I used to love that stuff. The artwork on the can certainly has changed since the last time I had one.

A very neat and elegant desk to go with it too :cool:

Mines a scruffy, stained overcrowded ex school desk :eek: more knives on it though.....

Regards, Will

Thanks, Will. It’s usually more cluttered (in fact, for that photo I probably shoved a bunch of stuff just far enough to either side so it was out of frame). :D The desk itself is a steel tank of a thing from the ‘60s or ‘70s that we bought at a university surplus sale.

If you can find it, you should try Blanton's...

If you can find one, a Soup Bone TC Barlow is a great knife… ;) :D

If you can find one, a Soup Bone TC Barlow is a great knife… ;) :D

Yeah..... well, I did say "IF" :D
As a suggestion to all those that do any traveling, we were sitting in the airport in Belize, waiting for our flight, and I wandered around into one of the duty free shops. They had 12 bottles of Blanton's sitting on the shelf. After I came to, on the floor, I asked the attendant how much they were. She said $40 a bottle. We could only bring back two bottles each, so I grabbed my wife, and we bought 4 of them. The attendant said they had been there for quite some time, that nobody seemed interested in them. If I could have bought all 12, I would have.

Back