• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Beware of Jeremy Swisher aka j-swish16, jamesjones, & JKnight1. Misrepresented condition of knife - painful transaction and ordeal.

Last edited:
...... I understand the desire and intent of this but I have been on forums with exactly those requirements and the pattern is simply a day of "+1".... "fantastic widget" ... "cool" ...."looks great" ...."I agree" and then off to the exchange.
That’s easy enough. Put a time limit as well. A trial member for a month. So before you can sell you have to be out of the 30 day period and also need a minimum amount of posts.
There are systems to detect spam posts and will only credit certain posts. It can also detect rapid fire posting and only give a credit of one post per a certain amount of time as well. Idk if that possible with this forum or not. But on discord is where I’ve had experience with it.
There are solutions to limit these kinds of people however.

I have to say…the more rules a site has, the less enjoyable.
BF has excellent rules right now. I wouldn’t wish for more rules and restrictions. There seems to be enough of that going around these days.

The issue is with individuals. People lacking integrity and honesty. They get weeded out.

As adults and BF members, we need to make decisions based on information, and buy when we are comfortable with the terms. If I miss out on a purchase, no biggie. It’s just a knife. 😱😂

Integrity, honesty, clarity and trustworthiness are attributes to ones character and need to be earned. If there are tons of rules, dishonest people will find a way to skirt them, they always do.

Just my .02 cents

I still feel a trial period would be a welcomed change. We don’t need to be weeding out these bad characters at good members time and expense when a simple change in procedure could potentially help everyone invested here.

I still feel a trial period would be a welcomed change. We don’t need to be weeding out these bad characters at good members time and expense when a simple change in procedure could potentially help everyone invested here.

Maybe start a tread in the Tech forum, where it would get Spark's attention. In the end he is going to be the final say, no matter what we think.
I personally have no strong opinion. That is the formula USN uses with a few twists(in payment of memberships), and it works for them. However the system here seems to work also.

I doubt it would help much- as someone already mentioned, it might weed out the laziest of the lazy, but the rest would just post inane crap until they hit the minimum required post count to put up a sale thread.

I think there's not much difference between buying a knife from someone with no posts and someone with no engaged, useful, helpful, or inquisitive posts- either way the buyer should be checking out the seller beforehand.

I doubt it would help much- as someone already mentioned, it might weed out the laziest of the lazy, but the rest would just post inane crap until they hit the minimum required post count to put up a sale thread.

I think there's not much difference between buying a knife from someone with no posts and someone with no engaged, useful, helpful, or inquisitive posts- either way the buyer should be checking out the seller beforehand.
Hence the reason for a certain duration of time probationary period that they have to make their posts.
Making people wait and contribute does work.

Uh, does it, though? How much time is enough? Does the forum software support that, or do the mods have to track it? I still don't see how it takes the responsibility off the buyer to look at who they're buying from and judge accordingly.

Between paypal and the feedback system in place here, I'd say the safeguards are fairly well vetted as is.

Lets not forget that the knife exchange is a large motivating factor in acquiring not only new members, but paid memberships as well (which support the site). This thread being a perfect example of the system actually working, rather than failing.

New guys are not always ready to be active posters outside the exchange(after all they are new and just learning), and are often best served by reading, but all knife fans like to buy and sell knives. What happened here had little to do with participation and a lot to do with an askew moral compass. I have dealt with many new members and while they may take a bit more handling , they as a whole have been very good. Better than some older members with little exchange experience.
While I am fine with things as they are, every member can still make their own rules as to whom they choose to deal with

I have to say…the more rules a site has, the less enjoyable.
BF has excellent rules right now. I wouldn’t wish for more rules and restrictions. There seems to be enough of that going around these days.

The issue is with individuals. People lacking integrity and honesty. They get weeded out.

Integrity, honesty, clarity and trustworthiness are attributes to ones character and need to be earned.
the formula USN uses with a few twists(in payment of memberships), and it works for them. However the system here seems to work also.

^^^ Perfectly stated, PH & S&F.

I for one, don't like having "special" mandates that other's feel that I must conform to- period! I'm also the type of member, who happens to prefer reading in many of the sub-forums I spend time in, in lieu to posting in them, Just because I choose not to post in these sub-forums, has zero bearing on my ethics/morals when I'm dealing here in the Exchange. I joined BF's for 1 reason & 1 reason only: I like knives. I didn't join here, to have to subscribe to other member's, ideologies/standards, on how they feel, I should be conforming here.

I read here quite often, other member's posting on what they feel should be a requirement (participation in other area's of the forum) to being the consummate BF member. < I don't agree with this. I'm here to buy, sell & trade knives first & foremost. I'm not here to make other people feel all warm & fuzzy....I'm here to enjoy this hobby....& as long as I'm participating here in an honest and ethical manner, & following this sites rules, then that's all that should matter. It's unfortunate, that a few of the blah blah blah blah loudmouth busy body blowhards, around here, always seem to feel the need to be preaching to others, how they feel everyone else should conducting themselves here; instead of looking into a mirror for some needed introspection.....

As for the sales exchange: I've met more really great people here (via PM's/speaking on the phone/face to face transactions), through all the transactions I've had, than through my participation in any of the other sub forums. And that's just the way it is.|

As for J-swish16: I will not ever be dealing with this member.

Hence the reason for a certain duration of time probationary period that they have to make their posts.
Making people wait and contribute does work.

The guy is here 7 years with an impeccable feedback rating. But once one person shares the terrible time they had, others start remembering terrible experiences had with the buyer. The system is only as good as its users, if that makes sense.

J j-swish16 being new is no excuse. Would you be happy if you bought a “lnib or bnib” knife and it showed up beat to hell? If you aren’t a used car dealer, I think you may have missed your calling.

I say full police background check from your local sheriff. including front and profile photos as your avatar.

3 references from non family

DNA sample

live zoom meeting with mods

then you can start your trial period before leaving for sale probation

or just use PAYPAL GOODS AND PAY A TINY BIT EXTRA FOR BUYER PROTECTION

I say full police background check from your local sheriff. including front and profile photos as your avatar.

3 references from non family

DNA sample

live zoom meeting with mods

then you can start your trial period before leaving for sale probation

or just use PAYPAL GOODS AND PAY A TINY BIT EXTRA FOR BUYER PROTECTION
Hey now! Some might have 3 pages of a police background check, and told.. It was a Good Read!

Do cops, that have arrested you, count?
How about past parole officers?

Jails and hospitals, keep.the DNA records.

Not sure what a Zoom meeting is.. But, I've heard of A.A...
Which reminds me.. I need to apply more of those principles, in my knife addiction!

Even with all that said.. A guy with a past like that, can still have a lot of good feedback! Say.. 160 positive and counting..

The guy is here 7 years with an impeccable feedback rating. But once one person shares the terrible time they had, others start remembering terrible experiences had with the buyer. The system is only as good as its users, if that makes sense.

J j-swish16 being new is no excuse. Would you be happy if you bought a “lnib or bnib” knife and it showed up beat to hell? If you aren’t a used car dealer, I think you may have missed your calling.
Just went through the thread, this one kinda blows my mind. How did he get to 260+ positive feedback being the a-hole he was there? I can't understand for the life of me. This thread and the one you've linked (although I realize it's 2 out of many deals) definitely make it hard for me to think about buying/selling as a new member. And some of the responses here concerning gatekeeping certainly don't make me feel very welcome either. Maybe I'm reading the atmosphere wrong?

So, is j-swish still with us? Seems kind of like he shouldn't be. Caught lying and scamming multiple times? This has nothing to do with being new. He's a liar and can't be trusted by this community, and has proven so repeatedly.

Guess not lol
Too late.

Let’s use our heads for something more than a hat rack fellas).
You giving advice to us? Ha!

I paid Gilbert back and told him keep the knife that he dismantled.
And there you are, doing it again. Trying to make the point that someone else did something wrong while apologizing for your own horrible behavior is a major red flag.

It's unfortunate, that a few of the blah blah blah blah loudmouth busy body blowhards, around here, always seem to feel the need to be preaching to others, how they feel everyone else should conducting themselves here; instead of looking into a mirror for some needed introspection.....
Right?

The GB&U is a great place to accumulate folks on your ignore list. I know I've made more than a few and nearly everyone on mt ignore list is there because of GB&U reading. Hell, several have made the list simply because of their opinion on this swishy character. There are so many good people to buy from and so many knives out there. Why risk it? If a person rubs you the wrong way, hit ignore and never see them again. And yeah, sorry new members, it is threads like this that make the rest of us look at you twice.

Back