• Swinguard Spear 4"

Votes: 28 10.8%
  • Gunstock Clip 3 1/2"

Votes: 64 24.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Giraffe bone would really be something special.

As nice as horn looks, horn will likely lead to disappointment by members and headaches for Mike so I think it is best avoided for a forum knife.

Thanks for putting this together Mike!

Bummer about the quote from your post below, but is what it is.... For me personally, this knocks my favorites out of the running. I guess my vote is for a type of wood due to potential complications of horn...

"I love horn, but it has its complications. If everyone agrees I don't have to take a return because of the horn - I am fine with it.
I would like to first see the price of the giraffe as I figure it might be a bit more expensive than the others.
I am not interested in acrylic and not sure I have ever seen it on a Viper knife. I don't want to be the first knife in which a factory attempts a new material."

That's great news!

zircote wood
ebony wood
olive wood
stabilized maple burl wood
amboina burl wood
birch maple wood
juniper wood

All of these woods sound like fantastic options. :thumbsup: Olive has a nice connection to the region of origin and looks lovely on knives. Ebony is a perennial favorite, and burl wood can lead to some gorgeous figured scales.

I'm not a neutral party in saying this, as I don't buy animal-derived handle scales (excluding naturally shed antler) and therefore want a wood/synthetic option to prevail, but horn does sound like the selection most likely to create headaches.

Although I am a little disappointed that the swing guard did not come through, I am not surprised. The swayback is a fine second choice. My preference would be for a natural material with some figuring or pattern that gives some variety in appearance. An ebony swayback might be quite nice if it did not seem like gilding the lily to the guy who has already splurged for a Rough Ryder 2038.

So how do I get one? Is there a pre order or a reservation system? Or is it first come first served due to the limited amount to be made? Thanks

Communication with Viper is a bit slow and hours are limited. So, before they went home for the weekend they were very excited about the opportunity and mentioned several slabs they would like to offer for the project. But.... by the time I responded it was too late to get the individual pricing.

I agree that there is no sense doing a BF knife is slabs that have already been used. So, let's rule out stag, grey oak, od canvas (first run) and bocote, natural canvas, marbled carbon fiber (second run). The options they presented were:

zircote wood
ebony wood
olive wood
stabilized maple burl wood
amboina burl wood
birch maple wood
juniper wood
ox horn tip (black or blonde)
ram horn
giraffe bone

There are examples of all these on their website on some pattern or another.

I love horn, but it has its complications. If everyone agrees I don't have to take a return because of the horn - I am fine with it.
I would like to first see the price of the giraffe as I figure it might be a bit more expensive than the others.
I am not interested in acrylic and not sure I have ever seen it on a Viper knife. I don't want to be the first knife in which a factory attempts a new material.

If/As we proceed the pace will be much quicker; because the factory's schedule was late November when I contracted the second run a couple weeks ago. So, for those that check in every few weeks, you may miss this one if it happens.

Let's discuss is here until we move to another poll (at which time I will close this thread anyway).

Great update Mike, thank you.

I personally have no interest horn. It has just never been my thing.

I agree the giraffe bone will probably be spendy.

Ebony is nice but I'd love to see some wood with contrast and character!

Also folks, help me out here...

Am I correct that this is a deal where we pay "now" and then the knife comes later in the year or do we pay when the knife comes? I'm guessing the former but wanted to ask. Excuse my ignorance, just haven't participated yet.

Am I correct that this is a deal where we pay "now" and then the knife comes later in the year or do we pay when the knife comes? I'm guessing the former but wanted to ask. Excuse my ignorance, just haven't participated yet.
sent you a PM

I believe the last two years (only ones for me) have been pay in advance. Seems like we got the knives in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back