• Swinguard Spear 4"

Votes: 28 10.8%
  • Gunstock Clip 3 1/2"

Votes: 64 24.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Prester John. But being electronically challenged, how do I sign up for email alerts? I foolishly sold a GEC Viper in red linen micarta and I am really looking forward to replacing it. Thanks again

I hope there is very little interest in any Horn, let's please take it easy on Mike who is volunteering his time. You know how gentleman agreements go, he will still get a ton of guys trying to return the knives. I'd say horn is out.

I really like Camel Bone, but the price of the knife is already going to exceed the set price limit and Camel Bone is going to send it even higher, possibly pricing people out of a knife. I'd say not to Horn too.

That leaves Wood options. I guess I'll have to go look at the different woods to make a clear choice. I love Ebony, but last year's knife was Ebony and that might be getting a little monotonous.

Pulled some images from Viper's website. I couldn't find all the things mentioned and of course these being natural materials they'll vary but just representations.

Amboinia
uNnC3S8.png

Brown Stabilized Maple Burl
Ca4mDka.png

Giraffe
QxxjaFE.png

Olive
Qy9d9TQ.png

Ox Horn
6CNRdR0.png

Zircote
4iQ2Jvm.png

I did not grab any pics of the horn tip. But two I saw that weren't on the list:

Tulip
Kb5AnOZ.png

Walnut
ukYD5cD.png

All the wood offerings are desirable.

But Ebony lacks grain and last year's example was Blackwood so I'd say let's have something more interesting.

Maple can be very good, but what's Birch Maple??? Some mistranslation or is it Curly Birch?
Juniper is fab!

Glad acrylic is off limits, it goes well on conventional Traditionals (usually) but could look comic on these modern interpretations. Pity Micarta is out though, Burlap or Rag could look spectacular.

I'd chance Horn, Europeans do very decent knives in it (the English excepted..) but if it's going to be controversial then leave it.

Camel could be fine but costs? Also, what colour? Ivory/Natural would be fine but others may want colours and that can be very variable on this bone.

All the wood offerings are desirable.

But Ebony lacks grain and last year's example was Blackwood so I'd say let's have something more interesting.

Maple can be very good, but what's Birch Maple??? Some mistranslation or is it Curly Birch?
Juniper is fab!

Glad acrylic is off limits, it goes well on conventional Traditionals (usually) but could look comic on these modern interpretations. Pity Micarta is out though, Burlap or Rag could look spectacular.

I'd chance Horn, Europeans do very decent knives in it (the English excepted..) but if it's going to be controversial then leave it.

Camel could be fine but costs? Also, what colour? Ivory/Natural would be fine but others may want colours and that can be very variable on this bone.

As someone who mentioned the blue/white Kirnite months ago, I have to agree with you. I've tried to picture it on the Swayback and think it would be a bad move.

I was wondering if the birch might be box wood? I know they are different but thought maybe it was a translation thing.

Just how many camels and giraffes are we willing to kill for the forum knife?:eek: I've got plenty of .30-06 ammunition to do the job - just trying to get an idea of how much I'll need to pack for my hunting expedition to the zoo.:rolleyes:

Ebony would make an elegant cover.:thumbsup:

Yes I think it could be translation of Box wood? I know a few languages, but Italian is not one of them.

Communication with Viper is a bit slow and hours are limited. So, before they went home for the weekend they were very excited about the opportunity and mentioned several slabs they would like to offer for the project. But.... by the time I responded it was too late to get the individual pricing.

I agree that there is no sense doing a BF knife is slabs that have already been used. So, let's rule out stag, grey oak, od canvas (first run) and bocote, natural canvas, marbled carbon fiber (second run). The options they presented were:

zircote wood
ebony wood
olive wood
stabilized maple burl wood
amboina burl wood
birch maple wood
juniper wood
ox horn tip (black or blonde)
ram horn
giraffe bone

There are examples of all these on their website on some pattern or another.

I love horn, but it has its complications. If everyone agrees I don't have to take a return because of the horn - I am fine with it.
I would like to first see the price of the giraffe as I figure it might be a bit more expensive than the others.
I am not interested in acrylic and not sure I have ever seen it on a Viper knife. I don't want to be the first knife in which a factory attempts a new material.

If/As we proceed the pace will be much quicker; because the factory's schedule was late November when I contracted the second run a couple weeks ago. So, for those that check in every few weeks, you may miss this one if it happens.

Let's discuss is here until we move to another poll (at which time I will close this thread anyway).

I live in a very high humidity area and haven’t had the greatest luck with natural horn... But other than that, I love every option on the list.

Ziricote, ebony, and olive are the standouts to me.

In case I missed it...
Exactly what problems does horn have?Its incredibly tough material.
Apart from general fusspottiness over colouration...eg too bland or too streaky?The same can be said for a lot of the acrylics.
Ebony? Same as last year.
Olive? A bit run of the mill imo.
Giraffe??? Where do they get it?
Camel? Millions of them in OZ...so not endangered.
I most like horn but the unusual woods are close second...

I'm willing to pay a premium to get giraffe bone but all those wood options sound nice too.

I like the juniper option best.....would make a fine knife handle/pocket deoderizer.

Also still in for smooth natural bone.

1. juniper wood
2. stabilized maple burl wood
3. amboina burl wood
4. birch maple wood
5. giraffe bone
6. ram horn
7. ox horn tip (black or blonde)
8. zircote wood
9. olive wood
10. ebony wood

I'm frankly excited to see how these play out. I'm a newcomer to the forums and missed out on this process last year. I don't personally care a wit about what handle material comes out on top, I'm going to order whatever we come up with. Modoc ED Modoc ED let me know when you leave on safari, I'll be your gun bearer

Thanks Prester John. But being electronically challenged, how do I sign up for email alerts? I foolishly sold a GEC Viper in red linen micarta and I am really looking forward to replacing it. Thanks again
At the top of each page is the phrase "Watch Thread." Click on it. You should be given a choice of receiving e-mail alerts. Heck, the easy thing to do is just check the traditional forum every day.

I love ram horn but I can only imagine the argument about the guy that got the nice one and the guy that got the one that looks a bit miss matched to him. Same for stag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back