1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BF2020 Knife from Maniago Poll

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Jul 20, 2020.

Frame / Blade Options

Poll closed Jul 23, 2020.
  1. Barlow (Clip, Spear, Sheepfoot) 3 3/4"

109 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Swayback Wharncliffe 3 5/8"

117 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. Sowbelly Clip 4"

68 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Bolus (Clip, Spear, Drop Point) 3 13/16"

27 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Swinguard Spear 4"

28 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Gunstock Clip 3 1/2"

64 vote(s)
    24.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2018
    "Made in Italy !" If the scales selection is spot on . I am in. I wish I had a knife in "Ram's Horn". OOOps , I just read that horn is bad for humidity "South Carolina" . I guess I will prefer European Walnut.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  2. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Thanks for taking this on, Mike. I’m glad to see that something might still happen this year. I think the wharncliffe swayback looks great. If we go with rams horn it would be cool to get one with a colored liner so you get some of the color through the scale like horsewright has done on some of his knives. That’s probably not an option and probably adds quite a bit to the expense, but still cool.

Tadeusz123 likes this.
  3. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Since I’ve already own a sowbelly, I voted for it.

4. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    That's funny. For me since I already own the swayback I voted for the sowbelly.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  5. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I voted for the swing guard. Your design you posted on Facebook looked incredible.

I'm 0% surprised that a barlow is the front runner. I just think it'd be cool to do something different.

6. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I’m not going to frown on whichever knife is selected. The one I have now wears carbon fiber covers. One in a traditional wood would be sweet.

Onearmbladenut and Scott J. like this.
  7. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I say this with tongue-in-cheek but I'm irritated that you compelled me to get on Facebook and look for that particular post... Gave up that place for the most part.

I will let Mike share his design here if he wishes but I'll just say the swing guard concept is... Interesting. I'm not sure it's my cup of tea but I'd certainly be interested in seeing what the end result ends up being.

L.H.S and Haegar like this.
  8. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    @knifeswapper I am interested to know what options there are in terms of blade marking or stamp. I recall an issue with harder steels and tang stamps, which may prevent one from being applied?

meako likes this.
  9. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    First, I just want to echo everyone else's sentiments and say thank you Mike. It's no small feat to make these forum knives happen and I can't imagine the headache involved. I really didn't think there was much of a chance of the 2020 knife happening this year, so this thread was a wonderful surprise to wake up to. :)

I voted for the Swayback Wharncliffe and the Barlow, although I would much prefer the Swayback. I think a nice natural wood or jigged bone would be fantastic.

Shurke, Cvrobinson, Dadpool and 2 others like this.
  10. Reaper AL

Reaper AL Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Mike: thanks for offering to take on the forum knife. I will be in no matter which way the vote goes. my vote is either a sow belly or a barlow spearpoint. the Ramshorn is a nice cover

11. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Excitement building, so is momentum :thumbsup::cool:

CelloDan and meako like this.
  12. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I am imagining a half sunk dinghy crowded with a desperate remnant crew , half starved and bereft of all hope when out of the sea mist a foghorn blasts .The ragged dehydrated sailors can barely open their eyes and shade them with sunburnt hands from the brilliant searchlight shining from the bridge of the luxury James Bond Villian type yacht that wallows lazily alongside the splintered, halfsunk lifeboat....its torn makeshift sail flapping hopelessly
    An heroic voice calls out through a megaphone asking if they need assistance...the sun breaks the clouds as a line is thrown attached to one if those lifesaver shaped life savers... the name of the undauntable vessel emblazoned on it.. ....MV KnifeSwapper.

13. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Very exciting! Thank you Mike. OH

Will Power likes this.
  14. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I assume that the BF logo will have to be etched and not stamped.

knifeswapper likes this.
  15. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Here are some preliminary mockups of the swinguard and gunstock.

SwingO.jpg SwingC.jpg Gunstock.jpg

16. Haegar

Haegar

Apr 28, 2020
    Good idea even if I personally don’t care for the swinguard.

Will Power and TFBraden like this.
  17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Okay, that swing guard is very interesting.
    It's a love it or hate it knife, which I kind of find to be alluring.
    Definitely would make the 2020 Forum Knife a lot different and I think I like that.
    Too bad I already voted before seeing the mock-up.

joeradza, Dadpool and Old Engineer like this.
  18. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    One thing I like about not being able to change our vote is that people will not be able to play games with the polls, changing their votes at the last second.

19. Barbarosa99

Barbarosa99 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2009
    I voted for the swayback, how do we get on a list or pay a deposit?

20. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I agree. :cool::thumbsup:
    My vote is losing, but I like the two that are winning.

Cvrobinson and Prester John like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.