• Ram Horn

Votes: 46 25.8%
  • Giraffe Bone

Votes: 35 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in for 2 no matter what handle but my vote was for juniper wood. But no matter what I am in for 2

Voted for amboyna wood, but would be happy with any of the wood offerings.

Ram's horn was actually my first choice, but have been mulling it over since I got the impression it might be more of a hassle for Mike.
Sheep aren't a vulnerable/endangered species, and I believe cow bone is a by-product of the meat industry, and I'm not a vegetarian.

:oops: I don't deny being a hypocrite, but I don't like the idea of using giraffe. (unless they are sustainably sourced???)

I'm no expert but I did spend several months in Kenya in 2006 and spent time with some of the wildlife managers at Nairobi National Park and some guys that worked the Masai Mara.

At least at the time, many that lived in the national parks had to be culled as their numbers grew. They have no natural predators per say (the lions in game preserves are fed pretty well and don't have the desperation to gang up on an adult giraffe).

The meat is sold to locals and they eat them. Not sure where the bones go, but that is likely one source.

Vote Olive Wood!

3co2FgA.jpg

I'm afraid the wood vote is gonna get split, and I'll have to do some hard thinking about whether to buy a knife this year. :(

@r8shell - I went to the zoo but my scope must be off because I kept hitting low right so I voted Ebony. Good ole Ebony - plain but elegant.

Im in for one.

Really hard to decide with so many great options. Im not even sure if it matters that much to me.

I ended up preferring either giraffe bone or amboyna wood. I let me thumb decide and it selected amboyna. Ill be happy no matter as long as price is manageable.

Last edited:
I'm afraid the wood vote is gonna get split

Me too. I bet the combined wood total will beat bone (and probably beat the combined horn total, too), but with so many (gorgeous!) wood options I'm not sure any single one can win out.

I'm in for one if it's wood. I don't buy bone/horn, but those will look fantastic on this knife too -- and no matter what, I'll enjoy hitting "Like" on all the awesome photos that will hopefully appear in December. :thumbsup::D

I'm no expert but I did spend several months in Kenya in 2006 and spent time with some of the wildlife managers at Nairobi National Park and some guys that worked the Masai Mara.

At least at the time, many that lived in the national parks had to be culled as their numbers grew. They have no natural predators per say (the lions in game preserves are fed pretty well and don't have the desperation to gang up on an adult giraffe).

The meat is sold to locals and they eat them. Not sure where the bones go, but that is likely one source.
Yes... this ^^^

It's not like they go out and kill a giraffe just for the bones. I imagine natural attrition would account for much of the bone used. People don't go shoot an elk just to get the antlers, either. They use sheds, and possibly antlers taken from elk harvested for meat.

In for at least one whatever material ... maybe two depending on what cover option is chosen.

Thanks for taking this on Mike!

Definitely in for one, went with the amboyna. Amboyna burl looks like flames frozen in place, don't know if we'll be lucky enough for burl though.

I voted for Amboyna. I'd prefer wood(or bone, but I can't vote for that after r8shell's pic) and voted for the leader so as to not split the votes for wood. Any of them would be fine by me.

I was curious what the current leading wood choice -- Amboyna -- would look like on a Viper Swayback, so I hacked together this appallingly low-rent mock-up using the clone stamp tool in my free photo editing software and a photo from Mike's shop. :D

As bad as it is, it's enough to show me how great that wood could look on this knife, so I figured it couldn't hurt to share it.

O308LwK.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back