• Ram Horn

Votes: 46 25.8%
  • Giraffe Bone

Votes: 35 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
.... Ordinarily a cheapskate, I am willing to stand the expense on this one, as it could be a last chance for a self-indulgent splurge.

I like the way you rationalize. :) I'm hanging fire on another knife at the moment, with a new pickup needing accessories and a wife that just saw how much I spent on ammo a month ago, laying up some in the face of another shortage, it's not a good time to buy. I figure giving her a month to relax is about right. Gotta keep her on her toes.

I just hope whatever wins is not a material that they use on this model normally.

I have never seen stabilized juniper used for knives. Juniper is naturally very durable.

......never seen a stabilised Juniper handle in m’ life - all stable, all as fragrant as ever ;)

It’s not just their olfactory qualities, they also have wonderful grain and aesthetics

I'm always open to being wrong but most experienced knife makers will only use Stabilized softwoods which juniper is. All i have ever seen have been resin stabilized under pressure.

"Juniper wood is slightly more dense than ponderosa pine. The wood is also quite hard for a softwood: about 35% harder than ponderosa pine, but only about ½ as hard as red oak. Juniper is about 70% as stiff as ponderosa pine, and 85% as stiff as incense-cedar, meaning the wood deforms relatively easily"

I voted olive wood.
No matter what the cover material is though I will get one.

I do kinda hope we go with wood rather than bone.
Nifebright acrylic would have been my ultimate choice.

I like olive the most out of the choices. So fragrant and good looking! And if we’re going to be going Italian... Why not go all out Italian, lol.

Giraffe bone is the only one I don’t like (and would probably sit this one out of it’s chosen). Giraffe’s are a vulnerable species at high risk of extinction right now, products made from their parts are on the CITES list, and it can be hard to prove the bones were ethically sourced. Don’t think I can get on board with that.

Voted not knowing if this is going to be open for international (Canadian) orders. I asked in the last thread but no answer, I looked through but couldn’t find it mentioned. Perhaps I missed it, lots of pages. CK doesn’t ship to Canada ordinarily but I’m hoping they will for the forum knife..?

Voted not knowing if this is going to be open for international (Canadian) orders. I asked in the last thread but no answer, I looked through but couldn’t find it mentioned. Perhaps I missed it, lots of pages. CK doesn’t ship to Canada ordinarily but I’m hoping they will for the forum knife..?

There is an easy path to get a knife shipped to Canada from CK. Message me for deets eh.

I think it is very unfair and not in the spirit of the forum knife that many members say:

“If the covers are made of “x” I will not buy.”

This is a terrible threat point, very inappropriate, and if enough people refuse to purchase due to an aesthetic preference we will likely not have any forum knife.

I personally think Amboyna burl wood is ugly, common, and smells bad.

I think it is very unfair and not in the spirit of the forum knife that many members say:

“If the covers are made of “x” I will not buy.”

This is a terrible threat point, very inappropriate, and if enough people refuse to purchase due to an aesthetic preference we will likely not have any forum knife.

As someone who has stated that I won't buy the forum knife if animal-derived covers are selected, I didn't bring that up as a threat and I think it would take a pretty grave misreading of my two posts (if memory serves, and in different threads) on the subject to construe them as threats.

I haven't read the various 2020 knife threads religiously, but I've seen maybe one or two other folks mention a "hard line" like this -- whereas the majority of folks expressing a preference have stated something along the lines of "...but I'll buy whatever comes up."

It's also not an aesthetic preference for me, although I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing up aesthetic, practical, or other concerns about cover choices either. That seems to me to be very much in the spirit of a "knife designed by committee," and one that always involves copious friendly discussion before and during the process.

Maybe this should be a separate thread, or maybe it won't go anywhere, but what about a short but poignant etch?

Have "BLADEFORUMS 2020" but then under it maybe something like...

"Never Give Up"

"United"

"Stay Strong"

Or something like that. Just a thought.

Maybe this should be a separate thread, or maybe it won't go anywhere, but what about a short but poignant etch?

Have "BLADEFORUMS 2020" but then under it maybe something like...

"Never Give Up"

"United"

"Stay Strong"

Or something like that. Just a thought.
Good idea.
Maybe "Year of the Corona"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back