• Ram Horn

Votes: 46 25.8%
  • Giraffe Bone

Votes: 35 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen bad giraffe bone, and if you look at the Northwoods knives that used it, every single one is a stunner.

My understanding is that horn can shrink and move, which is why we have been warned away from it. —— and don’t forget the dermastid beetles.
Woods can shrink and move also.

I would also caution that the horn they display on their home page is going to be the absolute best and may not represent the norm.
Ramshorn is strange ...the less perfect it is,the better it looks.

Voted not knowing if this is going to be open for international (Canadian) orders. I asked in the last thread but no answer, I looked through but couldn’t find it mentioned. Perhaps I missed it, lots of pages. CK doesn’t ship to Canada ordinarily but I’m hoping they will for the forum knife..?
Mine will need to travel from Italy to Australia via the USA...Hoping one of the noble Porchenberg Irregulars will help me out ...you should be right I believe.

Superb.

My sense was the analysis would be Amboyna 25% and Rams Horn 22% so within 3% and thus a run off?

Also, with only about 150 votes there is a real possibility we cannot get 300 knives pre-sold.

I have some materials I would love to see on this knife but ultimately I'm just extremely happy and appreciative that Mike stepped up to do this for all of us. And want to make this as easy on him as possible ... and I'm in no matter what the material chosen in the end!

Maybe. Right now 37/31 = 1.19, so they're 19% apart. Run off if within 10% ...

I believe the percentages beside each are the measure and as of now Ambyona 25.7% and Ram Horn 22.2% ... just my thought but ultimately it's up to Mike.

My sense was the analysis would be Amboyna 25% and Rams Horn 22% so within 3% and thus a run off?

Also, with only about 150 votes there is a real possibility we cannot get 300 knives pre-sold.
I said I’m in for two but if this winds up being the case, I’ll be in for four. :)

And no, I would never flip them. Bought two last year and did a GAW for one on the Becker boards.

Theres a chance people arent aware of this thread as well. It is the weekend, plenty of people spend that time away from internet service. Or spending time with family as oppose to glued to their phone or computer.

Its not like these polls are up for a week to get plenty of traffic.

I do believe based on Mike’s explanation of the rules that we may have a runoff vote tomorrow.

This is going to be a very nice knife.

I’m enjoying the voting process and reading all the posts.

Theres a chance people arent aware of this thread as well. It is the weekend, plenty of people spend that time away from internet service. Or spending time with family as oppose to glued to their phone or computer.

Its not like these polls are up for a week to get plenty of traffic.

Yea, I almost missed this thread today as I wasn’t expecting a sticky.

I think there are several that will buy 2 so this poll isn't a gauge of how many knives will be purchased.

My favorite straight razor has a ram’s horn handle. It’s the only material I know that gets GRIPPIER when it is wet, not slicker. It is stable, unlike buffalo horn, and won’t shrink. The variety will make each knife unique.

Light, dark, variegated: ram’s horn all looks great to me!

I do believe based on Mike’s explanation of the rules that we may have a runoff vote tomorrow.

I guess it depends whether "within 10%" means the second choice is within 10% based on the overall total or within 10% of the winner's total. Like so (with made-up totals):
  1. Poll winner gets 20 votes, which is 10% of overall votes (200 votes cast); second place is at 10 votes, 5% of overall votes. Because they're within 10% of each other based on the number of overall votes (10% vs. 5%), there's a runoff.
  2. Same totals/percentages, but since 10 votes is not within 10% of 20 votes, there's no runoff. For there to be a runoff in this scenario, the second-place choice would have needed 18 votes.
But it's the weekend and I'm trying to do math, so chances are I've mucked it up somehow. ;)

There is no seasonal restriction on hunting giraffe in Africa. Thus, the giraffe is hunted on safari legally with the proceeds used to support the local ecosystem. I am not an authority on this but have watched / read enough to know that managed populations many times save populations; thus I can't second-guess the countries that support their wildlife. But I don't find the more common giraffe on any CITES restricted list.

My vote is for Ram Horn, with Giraffe as a 2nd preference. If Mike didn't want to deal with Rams Horn, he wouldn't have put it as an option. Vote for your favorites and don't worry about putting words in other people's mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back