• Ram Horn

Votes: 46 25.8%
  • Giraffe Bone

Votes: 35 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how this will work but CK normally won’t ship to Canada. Used a work around once but it’s not worth the time or trouble. If it can’t just be shipped through the distributor at a reasonable cost, (typical shipping for a knife to Canada is between 9 and 15 dollars) I’ll have to pass.
It’s too bad actually because they have some great exclusives that I would have bought but it’s just too much trouble. And it’s not like there’s a ton of restrictions shipping to Canada either. (There are a few materials noted but in practice they don’t even care about anything other than ivory. Other than that autos and Bali’s).

I don't really get too bogged down in the restrictions of the destination country. But the restrictions for my country can be quite costly. Since at least 2 of the 3 top running options right now would require a FWS export license and $95 inspection per box - I'm pretty sure you don't want to pay my shipping costs. Any other dealer that ships any non-domesticated animal, wood, horn, etc. without claiming and paying FWS inspection fee - is doing so illegally. But, we sell to international customers every day. This is well discussed in our blog; as well as some solutions. Regarding this particular scenario, I am sure there are friends that will handle the movement across the border. Last year it was built up to be some huge hurdle - and I think GEC ended up sending 15 out of 450 knives outside the U.S. But, I respectfully understand if the solution is such that you need to bow out of the process.

I really like ebony, but voted for ram's horn. Seems like the best option for this one.

I'm still in for one of these knives :)

Nope. If you read the articles you list; it says they were added to Appendix II last year. This is not restricted and they are freely traded internationally. All Appendix II means is that the trade will be documented. They are legally hunted and components are freely transferable. Appendix I is restricted - no giraffes on this list. Please be careful what is stated as fact; many people take us seriously (sometimes, maybe, it could happen) ;). Most natural handle materials used these days are on Appendix II (cocobolo, ebony, stag, ram horn, etc.).

https://cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php
https://cites.org/eng/app/index.php
https://www.africahuntlodge.com/hunting-packages/giraffe-hunts

You're absolutely correct. I shouldn't have said the CITES restricted list, just that they had received a CITES listing. That was poor phrasing, sorry.

Not sure how this will work but CK normally won’t ship to Canada. Used a work around once but it’s not worth the time or trouble. If it can’t just be shipped through the distributor at a reasonable cost, (typical shipping for a knife to Canada is between 9 and 15 dollars) I’ll have to pass.
It’s too bad actually because they have some great exclusives that I would have bought but it’s just too much trouble. And it’s not like there’s a ton of restrictions shipping to Canada either. (There are a few materials noted but in practice they don’t even care about anything other than ivory. Other than that autos and Bali’s).
Since you aren't a member, and I can't PM you, I'll just ask you here..... what part of Canada are you in? I have friends in Calgary...

Casted my vote. It was a wood I have never heard of before had to look it up!

I'm in Canada and have had well over 1000 knives shipped to me from the US in various ways. If any dealer doesnt want to ship to your country no big deal, I wish people would respect that and just move on to plan B, there is Always a plan B :)
If anyone needs help or advice for Canada feel free to reach out to me.At the very least I can point you in the right direction. :)
Thanks Mike for all your hard work.

I'll be in for two as long as it has ram's horn scales. If it's not, I'll probably still get two because it'll be a great knife and there really aren't any bad options.

Looking forward to the runoff poll and getting more info next week!
I'll go for two only if it has ram's horn.... otherwise, I'm going to limit myself to just two. :confused:

I didn't quite roll on the floor laughing, but I almost laughed out loud.... :D

I am in for 2 no matter what the handle choice ends up to be and will gladly purchase 3or 4 if need be to reach the number needed to get the forum knife produced. Again I would like to thank mike for undertaking this project so we can have a forum knife this year. I own quite a few of mikes CK exclusives and enjoy carrying all the covers and blade styles equally

I'm in Canada and have had well over 1000 knives shipped to me from the US in various ways. If any dealer doesnt want to ship to your country no big deal, I wish people would respect that and just move on to plan B, there is Always a plan B :)
If anyone needs help or advice for Canada feel free to reach out to me.At the very least I can point you in the right direction. :)
Thanks Mike for all your hard work.
I am Canadian and I'll be looking to order one or two this year for sure.

I think the last couple of years we paid the extra cost and the knives were shipped direct.

Voted for ram.
I’ am in for one.
Another Canadian here. The US UPS store is literally 10 min from my house across the border. That’s how I usually get knives from the US ... however the border is closed now :(
I’ll figure some other way hopefully :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back