• Ram Horn

Votes: 85 44.0%
  • Giraffe Bone

Votes: 34 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a lot of folks had a non-Amboyna wood as their first choice and ram horn as their second choice in the previous poll.

Thanks again for doing this, Mike, and for keeping the ball rolling so briskly and efficiently. All three options will look great. :thumbsup:

Or since they couldnt get the wood they wanted, they arent going to vote at all. I wonder if the 2(?) ox horn people are voting for ram. I think most of the giraffe bone people came over the ram side partially due to some other members ethics as well as the ram pictures shown. Rams horn people have made a good case which is one of my reasons for switching. Really i like all three equally i think

I voted rams horn but all 3 choices are great tough decision. No matter which way it goes I am in no matter what. Again thanks mike for undertaking this project

Giraffe would be beautiful, but the wood is a fantastic second choice.

... I think most of the giraffe bone people came over the ram side partially due to some other members ethics...

That doesn't entirely solve the problem. Rams don't shed their horns, so you kill the ram to get that horn. Or you get that horn when you kill the ram. Either way, that sheep's gotta die. So long as the bone is sustainably sourced, it's all the same. And then, some people feel that even using shed antler is wrong because it's an animal product. Like oil. It must be a real booger to live your life without any synthetic fiber, plastic, gasoline, electricity, power, water, computers, phones, farm-raised food, fabric, thread, needles, etc. You could live in a log cabin with an axe ... oops, manufacturing that axe took a bunch of dead dinosaurs, not to mention animals that used to live where the iron mine is. So make that a stone axe. ;) And even if you live off the land by foraging, so as not to kill any soil-dwelling critters, you're taking food from the mouths of other herbivores. There's less food to go around, so more of them die trying to reach adulthood and reproduce. If you're alive, you're complicit in the killing of animals. People need to deal with it, not try to get others to pander to them. The amoyna burl scales, and the rest of the knife, requires that animals die. The only ethics involved lie in deciding which animals are more worthy of death than others. The best thing you can do is vote your preference. There's no way to cater to every belief system because they contradict each other and some even contradict themselves. Let the person with a problem deal with it in their own way. Down any other path lies madness.

Giraffe would be beautiful, but the wood is a fantastic second choice.

Giraffe can be beautiful indeed. Have a few myself, and have seen alot of it at shows in South Africa - but it can also be rather plain, and unless stabilised well, will possibly move a wee bit ;)

Last edited:
Voted the same in this one - ram horn - but, honestly, I like all three; so this one (imo) is a no lose poll.

Have been in the bone camp since first poll
Voted giraffe, knowing the durability of bone
62CA1D6C-A454-4273-92D9-B9A2645CE51C.jpeg
Am surprised so few votes to “save the giraffes” by supporting the legal free trade of giraffe products.
Ordered a giraffe scaled knife this morning to do my part. :cool:

I won't vote in the scales poll since I'll make my own if I buy the knife, but I do think it's great that all the choices will make this knife unique

My original choice came nowhere near winning.

I could like two of these options, would oppose one.

Voted, fingers crossed :thumbsup::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back